Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Devil Icon showed up as a substitute for regular folders icon

Unhappy A Devil Icon showed up as a substitute for regular folders icon

Hi,

I just got the icons of most of my folders (the regular ones) substituted with a devil icon.

( ) - https://imagebin.ca/v/4ErjqyPDlu5j

If i create a new folder, it gets this icon as well and changing icon theme does not solve the issue

anyone has a clue about what's happening???

Default Re: A Devil Icon showed up as a substitute for regular folders icon

You talking about icons, I bet this is about a desktop environment. But you fail to explain which DE you are using
    Henk van Velden

what's your desktop and preferred file manager
    how about showing us a screenshot of your affected desktop and file manager
    that picture means nothing
    if I have to guess you've installed a new application or a theme or ...
    there is no way for us to know what is happening on your pc from that icon

I'm sorry.

I assumed that, since Plasma is the openSUSE's "default", you would get the point! My bad!

Sorry about that!

Here's the screenshot: https://imagebin.ca/v/4ErswWj9JkKQ

I'd say try a new clean test user account
    you might have accidentally downloaded and installed a plasma 5 theme, that's the first time I've seen that icon I have no idea if it's part of an application an external theme or it comes with opensuse

Quote Originally Posted by SpeccyMan View Post
    I'm sorry.

I assumed that, since Plasma is the openSUSE's "default", you would get the point! My bad!
    The problem is that when others start assuming that you assume it is the default and that thus others assume that you, telling nothing, mean you are using that default (100%), often leads to confusion. Better explain more about what you have/use/see then less. It improves the efficiency of the discussion enormous.

And KDE is not really the default. it is just the one that at installation is chosen because there are always people who do not know what to choose (e.g. because they have no earlier experience with the different DEs). And you can have many DEs on your system, I guess there are enough to use another every day of the week.

And I see see you have given no response to
    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    if I have to guess you've installed a new application or a theme or ...
    there is no way for us to know what is happening on your pc from that icon
    Please respond always to questions asked, at least with a "I do not know". because else people who try to help you may feel ignored and thus may ignore your thread from then on.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post

And KDE is not really the default.
    That's why i've put the "" around the "default"

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Please respond always to questions asked, at least with a "I do not know". because else people who try to help you may feel ignored and thus may ignore your thread from then on.
    There was no "cosmetic" changes made to the system nor no new software installed. No theme installation or anything. The only change that was made was a regular "zypper up" that updated the system (i believe this might have brought some new software, but nothing that is not "recommended" as only the default Leap 15 repos + Mozilla's are active on the system ).

However, this was made last Tuesday, and either on Wednesday or yesterday this was not seen.

the system is integrated in a network that has multiple systems with both Windows10 and openSUSE 15 - both 64bit - (with one of those opensuse systems having a wine installation with a samba share - if this is important in anyway. This system is not the computer that is having this issues)

The workers do not have root password and are *supposedly* of limited computer knowledge (but hey, you'll never know, right...)

File manager is Dolphin.
    If you need more info, please just say so

Thank you

Ah, good. A lot of additional information is coming in.

At the moment I can only support I_A's idea to try another (best new) user. Curious to hear the result of that.

BTW
    The workers do not have root password and are *supposedly* of limited computer knowledge (but hey, you'll never know, right...)
    Those users often are the most dangerous ones .
    Indeed, beware of giving them the root password.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

... Plasma ...
    There was a recent Plasma update, from 5.12.5 to 5.12.6. But I haven't noticed any icon changes. There are a few minor changes in the ways some menus open up. For example, on Firefox and Opera, I am seeing some secondary bookmark menus opening to the left where they previously opened to the right.

I do agree with the suggestion, that you create a new user account and see what the icons look like there.
    opensuse Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

I would be wondering about that, myself. I would also be curious what sites they are visiting. I would also be locking the BIOS with a password, and in there blocking any booting from CDs/DVDs/USB devices.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast