Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sizes of Browser and Email Clients for Tired Eyes.

  1. #1

    Default Sizes of Browser and Email Clients for Tired Eyes.

    Just setting up my new to me laptop with KDE desktop and default screen shown as 1920 x 1080 Pixels and 96 x 96 dpi.
    Trouble is eyes are not good enough with default screens and am spoilt for choice on what to adjust.

    I was able to alter the font size in system settings>configure>Fonts> by adjusting all fonts to 16 but that is the easy part in a terminal.

    How do I get the Firebird and Thunderbird screens to be enlarged to I can see the text and icons.
    There are many discussions but most seem to apply to Windoze and Android stuff. Can I set a profile which allows me to do it all.
    Budgie2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,832
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Sizes of Browser and Email Clients for Tired Eyes.

    On Wed 05 Sep 2018 03:26:03 PM CDT, Budgie2 wrote:

    Just setting up my new to me laptop with KDE desktop and default screen
    shown as 1920 x 1080 Pixels and 96 x 96 dpi.
    Trouble is eyes are not good enough with default screens and am spoilt
    for choice on what to adjust.

    I was able to alter the font size in system settings>configure>Fonts> by
    adjusting all fonts to 16 but that is the easy part in a terminal.

    How do I get the Firebird and Thunderbird screens to be enlarged to I
    can see the text and icons.
    There are many discussions but most seem to apply to Windoze and Android
    stuff. Can I set a profile which allows me to do it all.
    Budgie2


    Hi
    Just press and hold the ctrl key then press + or - to increase/decrease
    this works for Firefox, would assume Thunderbird does the same.... you
    can also use ctrl and mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-25.16-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  3. #3

    Default Re: Sizes of Browser and Email Clients for Tired Eyes.

    Hi Malcolm and thanks. Mostly there but the site information slot where you enter the url is still minute. For some reason this doesn't change when all the rest does.
    The zoom level can be changed but how may I fix it? Can I make my profile freeze the zoom level so it remains magnified on re boot?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Norfolk, UK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default Re: Sizes of Browser and Email Clients for Tired Eyes.

    Use about:config and try changing the value of layout.css.devPixelsPerPx

    1.25 should give you 125%, 1.5 150% etc....

    Edit: To access the config editor in TB it's Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor
    Regards, Paul

    2x Tumbleweed (Snapshot: 20191014) KDE Plasma 5
    2x Leap 15.1 KDE Plasma 5

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: Sizes of Browser and Email Clients for Tired Eyes.

    I had the same problem with tiny fonts in the url bar. I was able to fix it by going to System Settings > Application Style > Gnome Application Style (GTK). In that window I selected Breeze as the GTK2 and GTK3 theme, and chose Noto Sans 16 as the font.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Sizes of Browser and Email Clients for Tired Eyes.

    Quote Originally Posted by tannington View Post
    Use about:config and try changing the value of layout.css.devPixelsPerPx

    1.25 should give you 125%, 1.5 150% etc....

    Edit: To access the config editor in TB it's Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor
    Hi Paul and many thanks. Have done what you suggested for TB and FF and screen appears much better thanks.
    What I am not sure is why the original settings were set at -1.0.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Sizes of Browser and Email Clients for Tired Eyes.

    Quote Originally Posted by gannicus View Post
    I had the same problem with tiny fonts in the url bar. I was able to fix it by going to System Settings > Application Style > Gnome Application Style (GTK). In that window I selected Breeze as the GTK2 and GTK3 theme, and chose Noto Sans 16 as the font.
    Many thanks. That did the trick. Brilliant and I have no idea how you found that but just glad you did.

    Bottom line is that I have had to use 3 different adjustments;- Ctrl +, and editing the Application Style and the layout.css.devPixelsPerPx fix to get something useable. There must be a simpler way. New bigger screen is OK but am stuck when I use laptop.

    Thanks for the help.
    Budgie2

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: Sizes of Browser and Email Clients for Tired Eyes.

    I'm glad you were able to fix it, Budgie2. The same issue was really bothering me too. I forget how I stumbled on the solution--I think I just searched through all the system settings looking for anything that might be relevant.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    1,691

    Default Re: Sizes of Browser and Email Clients for Tired Eyes.

    Forcing DPI to a larger value than the 96 default makes everything larger. One place to do this is in KDE's font settings panel. Try 120 as a starting point, for a 25% nominal increase over 96. Under the covers what that will do is create a setting "Xft.dpi" equal to 120, which can be verified after logout and back in and in Konsole or Xterm running
    Code:
    xrdb -query | grep dpi
    .
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •