Thread: can't add widget plasmoid on desktop

Default can't add widget plasmoid on desktop

Hi

opensuse leap15 ; plasma 5
    if i want to add plasmoid on my desktop i saw the windows plasmoid without any item and the desktop hang up , i am obliged to manually stop the PC

This append only with my session , the other user on the machine can add plamoid without any problem

the question is : where is the wrong entry in my profile ???

best regards

Question Re: can't add widget plasmoid on desktop

Did you "unlock" the Plasma Desktop before attempting to add a Widget to the Desktop?
    • Unlock the Desktop either by, clicking the "Desktop Toolbox" or, by right-clicking the Desktop or, by entering <Alt-D> (then release the keys) and then <L> …

Once you've unlocked the Desktop you should be able to drag the Widget you want to either the Panel or the Desktop.

Default Re: can't add widget plasmoid on desktop

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Did you "unlock" the Plasma Desktop before attempting to add a Widget to the Desktop?
    • Unlock the Desktop either by, clicking the "Desktop Toolbox" or, by right-clicking the Desktop or, by entering <Alt-D> (then release the keys) and then <L> …

Once you've unlocked the Desktop you should be able to drag the Widget you want to either the Panel or the Desktop.
    Yes off corse. it is not a block problem .

I think some profile or config files havent not the good rights ?

Regards

Question Re: can't add widget plasmoid on desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Enthalpie View Post
    I think some profile or config files havent not the good rights ?
    Assuming that, you haven't been changing the permissions of any system files -- i.e. those files in /etc/, /usr/, /lib/ and /lib64/ -- then, the files and directories of your login directory should have exactly the permissions of the files and directories located in /etc/skel/ -- with your login user and group in place of 'root' …
    • A special word for the case of the ~/.config/ and ~/.local/ directory trees: the permissions of the files and directories there are setup by the applications; KDE Plasma places well considered permissions on the KDE configuration and run-time files and directories -- you shouldn't change the permissions placed here by KDE.

Only one exception that I personally use, the permissions on the directories used by the KDE Kontact components in ~/.local/share/ -- I personally close off all world and group access to the 'contacts' and 'korganizer' directories …

What happens for the case of a new, "fresh", test user?
    Does a new, "fresh", test user display the same symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Assuming that, you haven't been changing the permissions of any system files -- i.e. those files in /etc/, /usr/, /lib/ and /lib64/ -- then, the files and directories of your login directory should have exactly the permissions of the files and directories located in /etc/skel/ -- with your login user and group in place of 'root' …

i did'nt change anythings in the file system. files ares from installation

• A special word for the case of the ~/.config/ and ~/.local/ directory trees: the permissions of the files and directories there are setup by the applications; KDE Plasma places well considered permissions on the KDE configuration and run-time files and directories -- you shouldn't change the permissions placed here by KDE.

Only one exception that I personally use, the permissions on the directories used by the KDE Kontact components in ~/.local/share/ -- I personally close off all world and group access to the 'contacts' and 'korganizer' directories …

What happens for the case of a new, "fresh", test user?
    Does a new, "fresh", test user display the same symptoms?
    part of the problem is may be from the restore process of my /home directory ( i have change my hard disk for a bigger one)

As i said I am the only one user who have problem. From this fact i compare files and permissions between my .config and .local file to see if i see différences

As I saw the file use when i try to add plamoid is plasmashellrc. I saw differences and put plasmashellrc from a good profile for me , but no changes ..

I also saw i dont have plasma directory in my .local/share directory. I create one but no change

I still look at

regards

work in progress

I survey with ksysguard

a normal user/profile when launch add plasmoid on desktop as a les 1% cpu from plasmashell

for me the CPU is 12/16% and never decrease

but now i can see the list of plamoid in the windows and stop the process

How were they restored, by which user,and what file system were they backed to?? Note that Windows file systems do not preserve permission bits!!!!

Talking Re: can't add widget plasmoid on desktop

I saw differences and put plasmashellrc from a good profile for me , but no changes ..
    AFAICS, the complete ~/.config/ directory tree ** is ** the KDE Plasma 5 profile …

Simply replacing a single file isn't going to achieve anything and, AFAIK the KDE Plasma work space doesn't have any means to export a user's environment …

Brutal method to make a KDE Plasma configuration behave as it should do:
    1. Export everything that is present in the Kontact environment -- yes there are KDE Plasma applications which can export things -- the Kontact components have the ability to export 99% of the PIM environment -- e-Mails, appointments, actions, address book, settings including the e-Mail feeds, news feeders, etc., etc. …
    2. Take notes of the KDE system settings …
    3. Export the KWallet contents …
    4. Take notes of the KDE application settings -- Konsole, Okular, Kate, Digikam, and so on, and so on …
    5. I have probably not mentioned everything …
    6. Take a backup of the ~/.config/ directory tree's contents …
    7. Log out.
    8. From a VT tty, empty the user's ~/.config/ directory -- same as the template /etc/skel/.config/ …
    9. Log back in again.
    10. Restore the user's KDE Plasma workspace settings.
    11. Restore the user's Kontact settings -- Akonadi resources and so on …
    12. Restore the user's KDE application settings …
    13. Restore the user's KWallet contents …
    14. Plus, anything I've forgotten to mention …

Usually, there is no need to use this procedure on the user's ~/.local/ directory tree -- when KDE writes the configuration during the login, it picks up the user's files located in the ~.local/ directory tree.
    • Be aware that, Kontact has a socket linked to an Akonadi directory located in /tmp/ -- always check the contents of ~/.local/share/akonadi/ for the socket link and, the Akonadi directory located in /tmp/ -- clean up any superfluous entries …

tired
    I will rename my home
    delete user
    create user
    login
    and after copy all files (my) (except .config and .local )

seem to be the best way

regards

Smile Re: can't add widget plasmoid on desktop

and after copy all files (my) (except .config and .local )
    Or "mv" move them.

For the case of ~/.local/ it's a bit trickier but, moving the e-Mail directories ~/.local/share/local-mail/ and ~/.local/share/.local-mail.directory/ mostly works OK even if, it's usually better to import the e-Mails back again from a KMail export archive …