Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't print in black&white/grey-scale on HP M277dw with hplip

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't print in black&white/grey-scale on HP M277dw with hplip

Quote Originally Posted by RaveNBlack View Post
    Thank you for the links, I did see them.

Unfortunately, even converting to PS does not fix the issue - still prints in color.
    A bug report is needed then. Perhaps see if any similar current bug open first....
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Thanks, I had a question (not a bug) posted there earlier.

I also found similar bug posted, so linked our discussions there. Hope it will get fixed.

Thumbs up Re: Can't print in black&white/grey-scale on HP M277dw with hplip

In case somebody stumbles upon this thread, I'll share the (sort of) solution for myself.

Firstly, I had to reinstall HPLIP because of other issues. Not sure if it has anything to do with the solution.

I did find that HPLIP GUI interface has default printer settings. I always assumed that they are the same as CUPS/i.e. the interface actually changes CUPS settings. It turns out not to be the case. Once I've set HPLIP defaults to black and white - it prints everything in B&W. I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems that I need to change HPLIP defaults to colour if I need to print something in colour. However, I hardly ever ned colour prints, so haven't tested that too much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaveNBlack View Post
    In case somebody stumbles upon this thread, I'll share the (sort of) solution for myself.

Firstly, I had to reinstall HPLIP because of other issues. Not sure if it has anything to do with the solution.

I did find that HPLIP GUI interface has default printer settings. I always assumed that they are the same as CUPS/i.e. the interface actually changes CUPS settings. It turns out not to be the case. Once I've set HPLIP defaults to black and white - it prints everything in B&W. I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems that I need to change HPLIP defaults to colour if I need to print something in colour. However, I hardly ever ned colour prints, so haven't tested that too much.
    Thanks for the update.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12