schily-mt conflicts with cpio-mt

Hi everyone,

Can’t zypper dup because of this problem:

Problem: schily-mt-2018.05.25-4.1.x86_64 conflicts with cpio-mt provided by cpio-mt-2.12-4.14.x86_64
 Solution 1: deinstallation of cpio-mt-2.12-4.14.x86_64
 Solution 2: deinstallation of star-rmt-1.5.3-7.3.x86_64
 Solution 3: deinstallation of tar-rmt-1.30-1.2.x86_64
 Solution 4: keep obsolete star-rmt-1.5.3-7.3.x86_64

What should I do? Thanks in advance.

I went with solution 1.

Whether that was a good idea – only time will tell. However, “cpio-mt” looks (based only on the name) as if it is intended for use with magnetic tape. And I don’t have any tape drives. I don’t even know why I have that package – it was probably a recommend from something else that is installed.

I figured that I can do without “cpio-mt”. And when the conflict are resolved, it will probably be pulled in again anyway.

That was my thinking. You will have to make your own decision. And I’ll note that I did not run into any other conflicts on this update.

I should have added – this was for the update to snapshot 20180827 (just in case anyone is wondering what this is all about).

I also went with solution #1. Discussion on the mailing list leads me to believe this package is a harmless ‘recommends’ package linked to something more universal (e.g. like tar)

Regards,
Chris

I went with solution nr. 2, since star-mt is no longer part of the Tw distribution repos. Did a search for the conflicting packages and found out.

i went with solution 4 and left it to update.
i then used zypper rm star-mt, did a reboot and then did a zypper dup again to double check and this file was never reinstalled