Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: nVidia Bumblebee steam issue

  1. #1

    Exclamation nVidia Bumblebee steam issue

    Hi,

    Today I tried to install bumblebee to try my laptop's nVIdia card. For that I followed the official instructions for tumbleweed here https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee
    Everything went smoothly. But after trying to launch steam it hangs after showing this output

    Code:
    > optirun steam
    Running Steam on opensuse-tumbleweed 20180827 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    Pins up-to-date!
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1535402532)
    
    
    And nothing happens.
    One interesting thing may be helpful. Installing nvidia-bumblebee made me to uninstall x11-video-nvidiaG04 from nVidia repo... launching nvidia settings with optirun works.

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2

    Question Re: nVidia Bumblebee steam issue

    Quote Originally Posted by aramgrigoryan View Post
    Hi,

    Today I tried to install bumblebee to try my laptop's nVIdia card. For that I followed the official instructions for tumbleweed here https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee
    Everything went smoothly. But after trying to launch steam it hangs after showing this output

    Code:
    > optirun steam
    Running Steam on opensuse-tumbleweed 20180827 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    Pins up-to-date!
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1535402532)
    
    
    And nothing happens.
    One interesting thing may be helpful. Installing nvidia-bumblebee made me to uninstall x11-video-nvidiaG04 from nVidia repo... launching nvidia settings with optirun works.

    Thanks for your help.

    Primusrun has superseded optirun so you should probably use that instead.
    Could you try running...

    primusrun glxspheres

    Does you nvidia card show up as "
    OpenGL Renderer" in the output?



  3. #3

    Default Re: nVidia Bumblebee steam issue

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankyU2 View Post
    Primusrun has superseded optirun so you should probably use that instead.
    Could you try running...

    primusrun glxspheres

    Does you nvidia card show up as "
    OpenGL Renderer" in the output?


    i only get this

    Code:
    > primusrun glxspheres
    Polygons in scene: 62464 (61 spheres * 1024 polys/spheres)
    Visual ID of window: 0x13a
    X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
      Value in failed request:  0x0
      Serial number of failed request:  22
      Current serial number in output stream:  23
    
    

  4. #4

    Default Re: nVidia Bumblebee steam issue

    Quote Originally Posted by aramgrigoryan View Post
    i only get this

    Code:
    > primusrun glxspheres
    Polygons in scene: 62464 (61 spheres * 1024 polys/spheres)
    Visual ID of window: 0x13a
    X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
      Value in failed request:  0x0
      Serial number of failed request:  22
      Current serial number in output stream:  23
    
    

    Seems bumblebee ins't using nvidia card. Could you tell me the output you get from

    Code:
    lspci | egrep 'VGA|3D'
    It should be something similar to

    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [GeForce GT 540M] (rev ff)

    The steps you should need to follow in the guide besides creating a snapshot in snapper if possible are...

    Install bumblebee

    Installing bumblebee is pretty straightforward:
    sudo zypper in bumblebee bbswitch

    Add yourself to the bumblebee group (here "username" should be replaced with your real username):
    sudo usermod -aG bumblebee username

    Then enable and start bumblebee:
    sudo systemctl enable bumblebeed

    sudo systemctl start bumblebeed

    Blacklist nouveau (even if you plan to use nouveau driver):
    echo "blacklist nouveau" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf

    sudo mkinitrd

    If you plan to use 32bit apps (like steam), install required libraries:
    sudo zypper in Mesa-libGL1-32bit libX11-6-32bit primus-32bit

    Tumbleweed

    Add bumblebee repository:
    sudo zypper ar -c -f http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...SE_Tumbleweed/ X11:Bumblebee

    Install the driver:
    sudo zypper in nvidia-bumblebee nvidia-bumblebee-32bit

    sudo systemctl enable dkms

    Update the kernel image:
    sudo mkinitrd


    And then reboot. Is that more or less the path you followed?

  5. #5

    Default Re: nVidia Bumblebee steam issue

    As per the bumblebee post install notifications...

    INFO: Please ensure that users using bublebee/video card are in following group(s):
    INFO: gpasswd -a <USER> bumblebee
    INFO: If going to use nvidia binary driver:
    INFO: gpasswd -a <USER> video
    INFO: Also ensure the nouveau module is blacklisted (even if you plan to use it):
    INFO: echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf
    INFO: mkinitrd

    You might need to add your user to the video group as highlighted but not mentioned in the guide.

  6. #6

    Default Re: nVidia Bumblebee steam issue

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankyU2 View Post
    As per the bumblebee post install notifications...

    INFO: Please ensure that users using bublebee/video card are in following group(s):
    INFO: gpasswd -a <USER> bumblebee
    INFO: If going to use nvidia binary driver:
    INFO: gpasswd -a <USER> video
    INFO: Also ensure the nouveau module is blacklisted (even if you plan to use it):
    INFO: echo "blacklist nouveau" >> /etc/modprobe.d/50-blacklist.conf
    INFO: mkinitrd

    You might need to add your user to the video group as highlighted but not mentioned in the guide.

    that's all is fine... but bumblebee uninstalls the nvidia X11 drivers...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: nVidia Bumblebee steam issue

    Quote Originally Posted by aramgrigoryan View Post
    that's all is fine... but bumblebee uninstalls the nvidia X11 drivers...
    Yes, this is the intended behaviour as the two packages conflict with each other and nvidia-bumblebee installs its own X11 driver, as you may check yourself:
    Code:
    bruno@LT_B:~> rpm -qp --conflicts https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Bumblebee/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/x86_64/nvidia-bumblebee-390.77-1.1.x86_64.rpm
    warning: https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Bumblebee/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/x86_64/nvidia-bumblebee-390.77-1.1.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID dd15af4a: NOKEY
    dkms-nvidia
    nvidia-kmp
    nvidia-kmp-default
    nvidia-kmp-desktop
    nvidia-kmp-pae
    nvidia-kmp-xen
    x11-video-nvidia
    bruno@LT_B:~>
    and:
    Code:
    bruno@LT_B:~> rpm -qp --scripts https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/Bumblebee/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/x86_64/nvidia-bumblebee-390.77-1.1.x86_64.rpm
    >>>>>snip
        #
        #   Install library
        #
        pushd $NV_NAME >/dev/null 2>&1
    
        # X driver
        install -D -m755  nvidia_drv.so /usr/$LIB/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
    
        # GLX extension module for X
        install -D -m755 "libglx.so.390.77" /usr/$LIB/nvidia/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.390.77
    >>>>>snip
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: nVidia Bumblebee steam issue

    Quote Originally Posted by aramgrigoryan View Post
    Hi,

    Today I tried to install bumblebee to try my laptop's nVIdia card. For that I followed the official instructions for tumbleweed here https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee
    Everything went smoothly. But after trying to launch steam it hangs after showing this output

    Code:
    > optirun steam
    Running Steam on opensuse-tumbleweed 20180827 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    Pins up-to-date!
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1535402532)
    
    
    And nothing happens.
    One interesting thing may be helpful. Installing nvidia-bumblebee made me to uninstall x11-video-nvidiaG04 from nVidia repo... launching nvidia settings with optirun works.

    Thanks for your help.
    Wait a moment, the official instructions for Tumbleweed do not call for installing the x11-video-nvidiaG04 from nVidia repo: maybe you mixed instructions for LEAP and Tumbleweed breaking your system in several ways?
    If you are not sure about what you did and are not able to undo possibly wrong steps, maybe reinstalling from scratch is an easier option.
    Anyway make sure to follow the instructions literally or ask here if in doubt.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •