Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Automount Video DVD

Default Automount Video DVD

What do I need to be able to get a Video DVD to mount and play.

I am pretty sure all the right packman packages and libdvdcss2 are installed according to the sticky post for Leap 42.3 Multimedia.

I'm running under Gnome.

Default Re: Automount Video DVD

I cannot check at the moment, but please check that you have installed:
    gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon
    gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon
    especially the latter that seems to be missing from the guide.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    I cannot check at the moment, but please check that you have installed:
    especially the latter that seems to be missing from the guide.
    You are right, the latter was missing, but unfortunately, that seems not to solve the problem. My Video DVD is not mounted after inserting it.

Quote Originally Posted by hnimmo View Post
    You are right, the latter was missing, but unfortunately, that seems not to solve the problem. My Video DVD is not mounted after inserting it.
    Do you mean "not mounted automatically"?
    Maybe you have to configure "how media should be handled" in Gnome:
    > open Gnome Settings (upper right corner of the screen, the "tools" button);
    > go to "Devices", then "Removable Media" (scroll down if not shown);
    > select the drop down menu for DVD video and check "Videos" (or another player that you might have installed).

Anyway you should be able to manually mount and/or play an inserted DVD; if not so, please show the result of:
    Code:
    lsblk -p

Do you mean "not mounted automatically"?
    Maybe you have to configure "how media should be handled" in Gnome:
    > open Gnome Settings (upper right corner of the screen, the "tools" button);
    > go to "Devices", then "Removable Media" (scroll down if not shown);
    > select the drop down menu for DVD video and check "Videos" (or another player that you might have installed).

Anyway you should be able to manually mount and/or play an inserted DVD; if not so, please show the result of:
    Code:
    lsblk -p
    It is not mounted automatically, whatever program I want to start with it

Code:
    harvey@linux-lueh:~> lsblk -p
    NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    /dev/sda      8:0    0 223.6G  0 disk 
    ├─/dev/sda1   8:1    0     2G  0 part [SWAP]
    ├─/dev/sda2   8:2    0    40G  0 part /usr/local
    └─/dev/sda3   8:3    0 181.6G  0 part /home
    /dev/sr0     11:0    1   6.8G  0 rom

It is not mounted automatically, whatever program I want to start with it

Code:
    harvey@linux-lueh:~> lsblk -p
    NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    /dev/sda      8:0    0 223.6G  0 disk 
    ├─/dev/sda1   8:1    0     2G  0 part [SWAP]
    ├─/dev/sda2   8:2    0    40G  0 part /usr/local
    └─/dev/sda3   8:3    0 181.6G  0 part /home
    /dev/sr0     11:0    1   6.8G  0 rom
    Apparently the DVD is recognized somehow (assuming it is /dev/sr0) but not mounted at the moment.
    Try to see what Gnome Disks says about that DVD (with the video DVD inserted, of course).
    As already written, I'm not able to test or confirm at the moment; I might be able to do so in the next few days, so stay tuned or wait for somebody else to confirm this problem.
    I recall witnessing a similar problem, see Bug 1028142 or Bug 1020034 but I cannot say if what you see has a similar root cause.

Apparently the DVD is recognized somehow (assuming it is /dev/sr0) but not mounted at the moment.
    Try to see what Gnome Disks says about that DVD (with the video DVD inserted, of course).
    As already written, I'm not able to test or confirm at the moment; I might be able to do so in the next few days, so stay tuned or wait for somebody else to confirm this problem.
    I recall witnessing a similar problem, see Bug 1028142 or Bug 1020034 but I cannot say if what you see has a similar root cause.
    Thank you for your help!

Gnome Disks shows the CD/DVD Drive with 7.3 GB, read-only, with 'Unknown' contents.

I tried mounting it manually and after about 20 minutes (might have been more), it did indeed get mounted. Showing the 2 directories by Nautilus, for example, (AUDIO-TS and VIDEO-TS) was quick, or for that matter by a player (e.g. VLC, MPlayer). But listing the files could also be very long-winded. And, who knows, if I waited for another 30 minutes the film might play....whatever. Not much fun!

Gnome Disks shows the CD/DVD Drive with 7.3 GB, read-only, with 'Unknown' contents.
    That looks somewhat similar to Comment #7 https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_b...?id=1028142#c7
    Feel free to open a new bug report, possibly quoting the above. I will join to help testing as soon as possible.

Sorry, I cannot confirm your problem. With a fairly standard Leap 15 Gnome install, with codecs switched to Packman and:

(and related dependencies)
    libdvdcss2-1.4.2 (available from http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc...p_15.0/x86_64/ )

installed, a commercial video DVD auto-mounts to /run/media/<username>/<title of movie> and auto-plays with Videos/Totem when instructed to do so.
    Gnome Disks shows: "Contents UDF (version 1.02) — Mounted at /run/media/..."

Maybe the DVD you are using has an odd or broken format?

Sorry, I cannot confirm your problem. With a fairly standard Leap 15 Gnome install, with codecs switched to Packman and:

(and related dependencies)
    libdvdcss2-1.4.2 (available from http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc...p_15.0/x86_64/ )

installed, a commercial video DVD auto-mounts to /run/media/<username>/<title of movie> and auto-plays with Videos/Totem when instructed to do so.
    Gnome Disks shows: "Contents UDF (version 1.02) — Mounted at /run/media/..."

Maybe the DVD you are using has an odd or broken format?
    I have precisely the packman packages you listed above, and I doubt if the DVDs are broken. The 2 DVD's (containing full length films) worked on a Macbook very well. They don't work on my 2 different Linux configurations. (Laptop and Desktop). In fact, if I wait for about 5 or 6 minutes the DVDs are indeed mounted. Opening one of the relevant video files in the VIDEO_TS directory also requires several minutes which then runs intermittently from frame to frame with long waits (minutes rather than seconds) between. I also have other DVDs containing videos shorter (ca. 20 minute) cartoon films. These run as expected normally.

I am beginning to wonder if my disk/swap partitions are well configured for running large films. Could that be relevant? On the desktop, swap is 2.2 GB, root partition 43 GB (24 GB free), home has 195 GB (106 GB free)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast