Thread: Failed to start Setup Virtual Console after system upgrade?

Exclamation Failed to start Setup Virtual Console after system upgrade?

My Tumbleweed is running in VMware Fusion on my MacBook, everything was working fine until I upgrade to tumbleweed snapshot-20180815. The error " Failed to start setup virtual console" appears during the boot process. Then I can not open the window of "system setting" "system log", "hardware information" and others through "Yast", nothing happens when I click on them. However, I can print out "/var/log/messages" via terminal. Furthermore, the folder window was flickering for few seconds the first time open it, and the window seems to be slow down even if I just open a 1KB text file.

below is the information when I type “systemctl status systemd-vconsole-setup "but I don’t have enough knowledge about linux to trace this bug, anyone know I to fix this issue?
    systemd-vconsole-setup.service - Setup Virtual Console
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-vconsole-setup.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
    Active: inactive (dead) since Wed 2018-08-22 13:51:24 BST; 6min ago
    Docs: man:systemd-vconsole-setup.service(8)
    man:vconsole.conf(5)
    Main PID: 706 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Aug 22 13:51:24 localhost systemd[1]: Starting Setup Virtual Console...
    Aug 22 13:51:24 localhost systemd-vconsole-setup[706]: KD_FONT_OP_SET failed, fonts will not be copied to tty7: Invalid argument
    Aug 22 13:51:24 localhost systemd[1]: Started Setup Virtual Console.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Failed to start Setup Virtual Console after system upgrade?

As far as I know, everyone is getting "Failed to start setup virtual console", though it might be hidden by the Plymouth splash screen.

I am not having any problems with Yast. However, I'm at 20180818.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Blog Entries

Default Re: Failed to start Setup Virtual Console after system upgrade?

I've seen that,
    But don't think it's related to any virtualization technology, believe it's more likely related to a virtual tty.

The error might cause a short delay on boot, I haven't noticed any other effect.
    When you say you can't open those items you listed, are you saying you can't open those after you log in?
    You shouldn't be able to launch those during the boot process if that's what you mean.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Cool Re: Failed to start Setup Virtual Console after system upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    As far as I know, everyone is getting "Failed to start setup virtual console", though it might be hidden by the Plymouth splash screen.
    Given the discussion on another thread <https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...irtual-Console>, AFAICS this issue is caused by the keywords being used in '/etc/locale.conf' and, the corresponding '/etc/vconsole.conf' contents:
    • If, '/etc/locale.conf' contains "LANG=«default system language»" then, the "Failed to start setup virtual console" message appears at boot on tty1 and, it's also entered in '/var/log/boot.log'.
    • If, '/etc/locale.conf' contains "LC_CTYPE=«default system language»" then the "Failed to start setup virtual console" message no longer appears, anywhere.

In addition, if the '/etc/vconsole.conf' contents are those setup by the 'systemd-localed.service' « after the locale.conf value has been corrected … » then, other error indications such as "KD_FONT_OP_SET failed" will also disappear …

AFAICS, the root cause is, systemd reads '/etc/locale.conf' during the preliminary boot phase and, if the keyword for the system default Locale isn't as mentioned above and, if the system default Locale value doesn't match to the virtual console configuration, errors will be flagged …

Unhappy Re: Failed to start Setup Virtual Console after system upgrade?

Further testing on a Laptop which had never suffered the "Failed to start setup virtual console" message issue has revealed that, the system is insensitive to the locale.conf keyword value: it can be "LC_CTYPE=" or "LANG=" -- the virtual console failure message doesn't appear.

BTW: YaST writes "LANG=" to locale.conf and it generates vconsole.conf.
    And, systemd-localed.service doesn't seem to want to create vconsole.conf if it's simply started on a running system.