Sound Blaster Z w/4.18.3 kernel. No sound

Apparently the SBZ got a patch in 4.18 to work on Linux.
The specific kernel I have is 4.18.3-3.gad7e05a-vanilla
The device shows up fine in AlsaMixer unlike in previous kernels, but I can’t get any sound out from it.
My integrated audio works fine when I plug my speakers into it. Tried all the ports on the sound card also.
I can install the sound card using yast2 sound, but it does not seem to do anything.
The card works completely fine on Windows.
Also, the sound and video applet only shows “Default” under everything, and the PulseAudio widget does not show any playback devices.
I’ve tried bunch different things (including reinstalling and changing from TW to Leap), and just can’t figure out what’s wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/WCZ0LFk.png
http://i.imgur.com/cACDjkd.png
http://i.imgur.com/BiZyOEf.png

Is your user a member of the audio group? In the past that was needed with SB cards.

Setting the group and restarting doesn’t seem to have done anything.
Also, trying to use cmus gives me a “Opening audio device: internal error” and changing the output plugin to alsa gives a “Error: opening audio device: no such file or directory”.

Can you run a diagnostic script for us, and then point us to the script output, so we can hopefully have a better understanding as to where the problem may be ?

In a konsole/xterm, as a regular user, with PC connected to the Internet, send the command:

/usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

Select the share/upload option when prompted. Let the script run to completion. Check in the konsole/xterm after script completes and it will provide you a URL/webaddress where the script output was uploaded. Please post that address here, and we can examine the content.

Here’s the log
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=feb1142a3c1f6ceff4002af9653f05cec4baeda9
Changed back to Tumbleweed now, but I don’t think I can edit the thread’s title.

I note the following firmware issue with respect to the SB device…

9.193826] snd_hda_intel 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for ctefx-sbz.bin failed with error -2
    9.193855] snd_hda_intel 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for ctefx.bin failed with error -2

Same situation as that reported here (same chipset 1102:0012 (rev 01) )…
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/526734-Sound-Blaster-Z-on-openSUSE-Leap-42-3/page3

As deano_ferrari pointed out , you likely need to address the failed firmware load. Have you installed alsa-firmware for your kernel ? (and then rebooted afterward to ensure firmware is loaded) ?

Further, even if you have it installed, you may have some mixer issues to sort:

**Simple mixer control 'Surround',0**
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 99
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 0 **[0%]** -90.00dB] **[off]**
  Front Right: Playback 0 **[0%]** -90.00dB]** [off]**
**Simple mixer control 'Center',0**
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback 0 **[0%] **-90.00dB] **[off]**
**Simple mixer control 'LFE',0**
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback 0 **[0%] **-90.00dB] **[off]**
**Simple mixer control 'Output Select',0**
  Capabilities: enum
  Items: 'Line Out' 'Headphone' 'Surround'
  Item0: **'Headphone'**

If I read that correct, you have surround sound muted. You have your center speaker muted. And you have your base (LFE) muted. Further, you set it up to redict all sound to headphones and not to the standard line output - which makes me think speakers won’t produce sound.

Further … I note:

!!Aplay/Arecord output
!!--------------------

APLAY

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
**card 0:** PCH [HDA Intel PCH], **device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]**
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
**card 0: **PCH [HDA Intel PCH], **device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]**
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
**card 1: Creative [HDA Creative], device 0: CA0132 Analog [CA0132 Analog]**
**card 1: Creative [HDA Creative], device 1: CA0132 Digital [CA0132 Digital]**

i.e. your Sound Blaster Z is card-1. By default openSUSE will route ALL sound to card-0 and NOT to card-1. So you need to use an application such as ‘pavucontrol’ to re-route sound to card-1. Or adopt a different technique (there are others).

So in summary, it reads to me that there are multiple configuration reasons combining to stop your GNU/Linux sound from working - all of which need to be addressed.

Lack of alsa-firmware was the problem. Works perfectly now.
Cheers

Good result. :slight_smile: