Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox window rendering problem

Default Firefox window rendering problem

Firefox on my system has acquired an intermittent window-rendering problem since some recent update (now 60.1.0) whereby the buttons on the titlebar (but not the Firefox logo) are displayed as black squares. The buttons on the right should be displayed as white underline, square, and cross graphics using the "MS Windows 9x" widget style and "Plastik" theme.

Sometimes the titlebar text is blocked out in white as well.

It's not a huge problem and the buttons continue to work, but it's annoying. The solution is to dismiss & restart Firefox then "Restore Previous Session". Clearing the Mozilla cache as suggested somewhere here doesn't fix it.

I've found a very similar problem occurs if LibreOffice is downloaded & installed from the ODF website, when (some?) text in the application area of windows is blocked out in black. The solution is to delete <libreoffice-kde4> which gives a much plainer window, but at least it works.

Does anyone have any insights? Should this be reported as a bug? It's possibly a general rendering issue rather that a bug in Firefox and, to complicate matters, I understand Firefox versions beginning with 60 do their own rendering by default.

DavidL.

Default Re: Firefox window rendering problem

This kind of problem is usually a clash or absence of a package related to theming. Which DE or WM are you using? Can you try a different one, such as IceWM (usually installed by default regardless which DE is your preference), to see if it persists there? Which MozillaFirefox-branding package is installed? Does problem persist if you replace it with the other?
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    This kind of problem is usually a clash or absence of a package related to theming. Which DE or WM are you using? Can you try a different one, such as IceWM (usually installed by default regardless which DE is your preference), to see if it persists there? Which MozillaFirefox-branding package is installed? Does problem persist if you replace it with the other?
    I'm using the KDE window-manager, but I've never understood what "branding" packages do. I'm running Firefox 60.1.0 but MozillaFirefox-branding-upstream 60.1 isn't installed, and doesn't seem to be required. The MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE package is version 45-14.1.

Is "upstream branding" likely to be a problem?

DavidL.

Quote Originally Posted by dlochrin View Post
    I'm using the KDE window-manager, but I've never understood what "branding" packages do. I'm running Firefox 60.1.0 but MozillaFirefox-branding-upstream 60.1 isn't installed, and doesn't seem to be required. The MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE package is version 45-14.1.

Is "upstream branding" likely to be a problem?
    Highly likely the old branding package is the problem. Latest matches your installed FF 60.1.0 and should have been installed along with it. 45-14.1 might have had a lock set.
    Code:
    zypper ll
    should tell you if there is, as well as YaST, which would call it taboo. The taboo or lock if it exists should be removed to allow 60.1.0 to be installed. Without a lock, normal updates should bring in 60.1.0. You can force it with
    Code:
    zypper in MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE-60.1.0
    answering y if asked.

The branding packages are a look and feel thing, pure upstream vs. openSUSE. You can have only one or the other. branding-openSUSE is the default. It's possible your combination of installed packages has a compatibility defect with it. You can try installing the other, which will replace the existing. Either it will help, or not. Whether it does or not, if you see a difference you like you can keep it. If not, reinstall the other.

Something else you can try if I'm wrong about the branding version being the problem is running Firefox in safe mode. Start it from an Xterm or Konsole
    Code:
    firefox -safe-mode
    If the problem goes away, it's a problem with your Firefox profile rather than installed software.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

I've never understood what "branding" packages do. I'm running Firefox 60.1.0 but MozillaFirefox-branding-upstream 60.1 isn't installed, and doesn't seem to be required. The MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE package is version 45-14.1.
    Answering my own question, there's a description of "branding" at https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-what-are-they Maybe upstream branding (or lack thereof) is the problem.. I'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    It's possible your combination of installed packages has a compatibility defect with it. You can try installing the other, which will replace the existing. Either it will help, or not. Whether it does or not, if you see a difference you like you can keep it. If not, reinstall the other.
    Many thanks for your suggestion! I installed the upstream branding package, which automatically uninstalled the OpenSuSE branding, and I'll wait to see if the problem recurs. So far, so good.

If it's true that Firefox 60+ does some or all of its own window management, then a different branding package seems like a fertile source of problems.

I'll also install the LibreOffice upstream branding and reinstall <libreoffice-kde4>, and post the result. I suppose it's likely the version downloaded from the ODF also does a bit of its own window management.

Cheers,
    DavidL.

Answering my own question, there's a description of "branding" at https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-what-are-they Maybe upstream branding (or lack thereof) is the problem.. I'll see what happens.
    I can't now reproduce the problem with LibreOffice rendering which I mentioned earlier.

I notice the version of LibreOffice I downloaded from the Open Office Foundation website (5.4.6.2) doesn't have an upstream-branding package but the version in the OpenSuSE update repository does, so perhaps this package is created when LO is packaged with the O/S. However the ODF version does include a KDE-integration package (libobasis5.4-kde4-integration).

In any case, LO seems to run fine. (Why use the ODF version? Because it includes offline help - see https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...-in-repository - solved)

DavidL.

For the record, installing the Firefox upstream-branding package hasn't eliminated the problem though I think it's probably much less frequent. I've also recently observed the problem with Kmail, but I think only once.

I suspect this (64-bit) computer is a little slow as it's now getting a bit long in the tooth and so there may be a timing-race issue. But it still shouldn't happen.

DavidL.
    Last edited by dlochrin; 28-Aug-2018 at 18:14. Reason: Clarity

this sounds like the old intel graphics plasma 5 bug
    the fix was to use uxa acceleration instead of sna
    https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-d...st/000088.html
    afaik this bug was present in the early 42.x releases but it was fixed with a kernel update, have you updated your system?
    nvidia with noveau is also known for similar issues on plasma 5 the fix in this case would be to use the nvidia propitiatory driver
    what graphic card and driver do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    this sounds like the old intel graphics plasma 5 bug
    the fix was to use uxa acceleration instead of sna
    https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-d...st/000088.html
    afaik this bug was present in the early 42.x releases but it was fixed with a kernel update, have you updated your system?
    nvidia with noveau is also known for similar issues on plasma 5 the fix in this case would be to use the nvidia propitiatory driver
    what graphic card and driver do you have?
    That seems very likely to be on the right track, but I'm way out of my depth here. The hardware is quite old, and I'm still using ye ancient LCD 4x3 monitor because it just won't fail, though it does occasionally suffer from apparent jitter in the horizontal sync. But the Leap 42.3 software is right up to date.

I have an "Intel 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller" with an i915 kernel driver. I notice Mesa is installed but no nouveau packages except libdrm_nouveau2. After a bit of googling I installed Mesa-demo-x to get glxinfo and found acceleration is off.

/sbin/lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 "VGA|Display|3D" displays:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2e42] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:1493]
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915
    00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2e43] (rev 03)
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82567V-4 Gigabit Network Connection [8086:1525] (rev 02)

Any ideas? Feel free to tell me to get a proper monitor, I've been looking for an excuse.

Cheers...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast