Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the program that runs the executables?

Default What is the program that runs the executables?

I installed Thunderbird in a folder in my home directory and now if I click to open that program, inside the Dolphin application it opens with the Kwrite program, showing a compiled file.
    I tried pointing out a program to open with "Open whit" but I do not know what the program will run the executables
    Please, which program do I point to?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is the program that runs the executables?

Executables run without any assistance.

Perhaps your executable does not have executable permissions?

To make a binary or script executable, run the following with elevated permissions...
    Code:
    # chmod +x filename 
    If you still have problems,
    You need to post details about your file and where it came from.

If you are trying to launch Thunderbird, is there some reason you didn't install from the openSUSE repos?
    You might remove the Thunderbird you install, then open
    YaST > Software Manager
    do a search for Thunderbird and install it.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

If I open a terminal, in the folder that exists thunderbird program and type thunderbird, everything runs normally.
    But if I open this folder with Dolphin and double-click on the program thunderbird it is opened with kwrite.
    So I have to tell Dolphin that he should not use kwrite to open this program and I should indicate the right.
    But which one should I indicate?

I don't actually use KDE, but FWIW, I think I had seen something similar with Nautilus on GNOME.

In this case the detail was Nautilus being configured by default to "open" binaries/scripts; the other options being "run" and "ask what to do". This setting applied regardless of file permissions (of course if telling it to run them while not having execute permissions I got an error).

Doesn't Dolphin have a similar setting?

And just as comment, if program was installed "manually" in a custom Home directory, it should normally be enough to run chmod as normal user, without needing elevated permissions.

EDIT: isn't the "right program" typically Bash itself?

Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    I don't actually use KDE, but FWIW, I think I had seen something similar with Nautilus on GNOME.

In this case the detail was Nautilus being configured by default to "open" binaries/scripts; the other options being "run" and "ask what to do". This setting applied regardless of file permissions (of course if telling it to run them while not having execute permissions I got an error).

Doesn't Dolphin have a similar setting?
    I do not know. Having an executable/runable file that has no execute permissions for the Dolphin/Nautilus user, I think it is rather useless to offer a "run" option in the "right click" menu (or run it by default when clicking left).
    And when no permission is granted, it is not easy to decide if something is an executable/runable file at all. Files are just bunches of bytes. When you have no idea what the bytes mean, how to tell what it is?
    And just as comment, if program was installed "manually" in a custom Home directory, it should normally be enough to run chmod as normal user, without needing elevated
    permissions.
    When the user owns the file and it is in a place he also ows (which is the case in his own home directory), he can of course set permissions.
    IMHO it is quicker to test that then to ask.

BTW, each user has a ~/bin. That is a very good place to put programs in, the more because it is "by default" in the user's PATH and thus the user has only to use
    Code:
    program
    to execute it.
    EDIT:
    isn't the "right program" typically Bash itself?
    I do not know what you mean with the "right program", but when a program is a bash script, it will be "executed" (in fact interpreted) by bash (which itself will be executed). Same for other scripting language programs (other shells like csh, ksh and python, etc.) but when everyting is done correctly, the "shebang" is in the script file and that tells the kernel which interpreter to use. E.g.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # this script is to be interpreted by Bash
    echo "Hello world"
    Henk van Velden

as far as I can tell you're opening the *.desktop files those are text files that launch programs they can be opened by kate or any text editor but clicking on them in dolphin should run the application defined in said desktop file
    I'd say you played with the file extensions in kde settings and messed some things up, I'd suggest removing the mimeapps.list which should restore all to the system defaults
    Code:
    rm ~/.config/mimeapps.list
    rm ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
    rm ~/.local/share/mime/mime.cache

Blog Entries

Been thinking about what you described.

If you feel you described your situation exactly as I read it... Then it might be a bug. But before you report a bug you should try to see if you can replicate the result with a different binary.

1. Open a console
    2. browse to the binary you want to execute.
    3. Execute the binary (results in success)
    Repeat but in a File Manager like Dolphin instead of a command line window...
    4. Open Dolphin
    5. Browse to the binary exactly the same as how you did this by command line.
    6. Execute the binary by double-clicking or clicking (Depends on your GUI setting)

The point is that it should not matter whether by command line of File Manager... The file should be identified as an executable by the "execute bit" in the file's permissions. I don't know that you can accidentally mis-configure a File Manager to identify an executable file as non-executable and associated with a viewer app.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by sergelli View Post
    If I open a terminal, in the folder that exists thunderbird program and type thunderbird, everything runs normally.
    But if I open this folder with Dolphin and double-click on the program thunderbird it is opened with kwrite.
    So I have to tell Dolphin that he should not use kwrite to open this program and I should indicate the right.
    That is because the file named Thunderbird is a link to a shell script. A shellscript is not an executable. The default in Plasma for shell scripts is found in file associations, it is open them with a code editor, Kwrite for you, for me Kate. However, to my surprise I found that shellscripts are treated special. After double click Dolphin asks if I want to edit the script (opens editor) or execute. It doesn't do that for you?

the OP wasn't exactly clear how and where he started programs as a lot (not all) of files in /usr/bin are shell scripts that point to programs and others are binary programs
    but if the OP went to /usr/share/applications (where desktop files are kept) he'd see the desktop launchers as programs but they're text files
    anyhow if kedit has been registered as the default handler of binary files or *.desktop files the fix should be in ~/.config/mimeapps.list unless the OP edited the system mimeapps.list

Quote Originally Posted by sergelli View Post
    In which folder do you start Thunderbird?
    What I think what is going on is this:
    When typing thunderbird in a terminal, regardless in which folder you do that, the system will look in the PATH to find a file called thunderbird which it can start. This can be in a completely different folder than the one you are in right now. When the installation is correct, Thunderbird (the executable) will be in a folder which is in the PATH.
    When you click the thunderbird file in the folder you have opened in the file-manager the system wants to start that file. When it's not an executable this won't work.

So again: in which folder do you think Thunderbird's executable is located? Just to see if you do start the correct one in the file-manager, which is a strange place to start it. After installation Thunderbird should have an entry in the menu from where it can be started.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast