Thread: OpenSuse Tumbleweed Cant install VMWare Workstation. Needs Kernel Headers

Default OpenSuse Tumbleweed Cant install VMWare Workstation. Needs Kernel Headers

I'm attempting to install VMWare Workstation and it's asking for the Kernel Headers 4.16.4-1-default. Can someone lead me in the right direction to install this dependency?

Blog Entries

Default Re: OpenSuse Tumbleweed Cant install VMWare Workstation. Needs Kernel Headers

You need the "kernel-devel" package, which should pull in the "kernel-default-devel" package.

However, you needed to do that while 4.16.4-1-default was a current kernel. By now, the packages that you want are probably gone from the repos.

I wonder whether you have been keeping your system up to date. Tumbleweed has been on 4.17.x kernels for a while.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Default Re: OpenSuse Tumbleweed Cant install VMWare Workstation. Needs Kernel Headers

The bottom line for every User...

You always will need the kernel headers that match the version of your current kernel.
    The simple way to ensure this always happens is to first install the kernel headers and then follow that with a system update (For TW users an upgrade).

So,
    First install your kernel headers
    Code:
    zypper in kernel-devel kernel-default-devel
    Followed by updating or upgrading, in this case because this is Tumbleweed
    Code:
    zypper dup
    Then, you'll be set to do whatever requires kernel headers, in this case installing VMware Workstation.
    BTW - Specifically for installing VMware Workstation on Tumbleweed, you may find that you may need to use an older version of gcc, and will neqired to do what is described in the following Wiki page I wrote

https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/gc...e-alternatives

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default AW: OpenSuse Tumbleweed Cant install VMWare Workstation. Needs Kernel Headers

Easiest way to install the -devel packages:
    Code:
    zypper in kernel-syms
    Code:
    rpm -q --requires kernel-syms
    kernel-default-devel = 4.17.12-2.gef4920c
    kernel-devel = 4.17.12-2.gef4920c
    pesign-obs-integration
    rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
    rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
    rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
    rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1
    kernel-default-devel = 4.17.13-2.g9079348
    kernel-devel = 4.17.13-2.g9079348
    pesign-obs-integration
    rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
    rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
    rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
    rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1

Quote Originally Posted by dorlow View Post
    I'm attempting to install VMWare Workstation and it's asking for the Kernel Headers 4.16.4-1-default. Can someone lead me in the right direction to install this dependency?
    They should be installed automatically. Did you try a reboot?
    I had the same problem yesterday and after a reboot it worked.

/EDIT assuming you are running an up to date system, so run sudo zypper dup, then reboot and try installing Virtualbox again.