Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Automounting Windows 10 NTFS Drive at Bootup for Read/Write

Default Re: Automounting Windows 10 NTFS Drive at Bootup for Read/Write

Quote Originally Posted by dontosaw View Post
    Nice output, but what did you do to get it?
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Nice output, but what did you do to get it?
    I got it when I attempted to use YAST Partitioner to set up the automount. I think trying to use this might be less safe than just editing fstab directly. I have attached an image of my partitions as shown in YAST Partitioner. The partition with the Widows label is the one. What would I enter into fstab to have the partition mounted at bootup? If you think I should use the graphical interface, I can try again and post screenshots of what I'm selecting.

Thanks,

dontosaw

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oqkna7un1...orage.png?dl=0

Are you sure that the NTFS partition does not have fast boot on. That leaves NTFS unmountable since Windows does not close it down full when it exits

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Are you sure that the NTFS partition does not have fast boot on. That leaves NTFS unmountable since Windows does not close it down full when it exits
    Yes, I am sure. I went into UEFI setup and fast boot option is disabled. Furthermore, the Windows disk is set up as a standard disk (not dynamic). In any case, I can and do mount the disk in Linux. I just would like to set it up to be automatic if that is easily doable.

Thanks,
    dontosaw

Fast boot in Windows not the fast boot in in UEFI, Same name but different things

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Fast boot in Windows not the fast boot in in UEFI, Same name but different things
    While you are correct that fast boot in Windows will create a problem, that is not the case here, because he can mount it. The problem is he is until now not able to create a fstab entry that does what he wants.
    Henk van Velden

While you are correct that fast boot in Windows will create a problem, that is not the case here, because he can mount it. The problem is he is until now not able to create a fstab entry that does what he wants.
    Precisely. I don't want to attempt to edit fstab without being pretty confident I won't render my installation unbootable.

Quote Originally Posted by dontosaw View Post
    Precisely. I don't want to attempt to edit fstab without being pretty confident I won't render my installation unbootable.
    I wonder if you have now created an fstab entry or not. IMHO there is advice enough above.

And when in doubt, post it here for advice.

And you can always make it and then check if you can mount using it before you go for the ultimate test with a boot.
    Henk van Velden

I wonder if you have now created an fstab entry or not. IMHO there is advice enough above.

And when in doubt, post it here for advice.

And you can always make it and then check if you can mount using it before you go for the ultimate test with a boot.
    I should be able to figure it out, combining what I have learned here with what I have read elsewhere.

The basic structure is the Device ID, mount point, file system type, options, dump, pass.

for device ID I can use the device name, /dev/sda4. I have created the mount point /home/dontosaw/Windows. The file system will be NTFS. Options will be rw? Not sure about dump and pass.

/dev/sda4 /home/dontosaw/Windows NTFS rw 0 1

What do the last two numbers mean? What should I use?

Thanks,
    dontosaw

It is not NTFS, but ntfs!!!!!!!!!

And you need certainly more options. Look at post #3 above!
    In any case user_id and group_id (but not with 0, which is root, but with the uid of dontosaw and the gid of users)..
    I would also add nosuid, nodev, maybe relatime.

And for those numbers you can use 0 0.
    Henk van Velden

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast