Thread: KDE Plasma in Leap and Tumbleweed - Debugging level and lots of messages

Default KDE Plasma in Leap and Tumbleweed - Debugging level and lots of messages

There's seems to be a difference in the KDE debugging level in Leap vs Tumbleweed. There were 10's of hundreds of messages in Tumbleweed relating to KDE and qt from every KDE application, plasmashell, dolphin, kdeinit, kdeconnectd, systemsettings. Here are partial examples:

qt.svg: <input:nnn Could not resolve property: radialGradientnnnn, where n is a different number.
    Setting active: false
    Setting providesContextHelp: true
    Factory: true
    Setting height: -130
    Calling KPluginInfo:: property... is deprecated

A journalctl -f became useless because of the flood of KDE messages.

After some searches, I added declare -x QT_LOGGING_RULES="*.debug=false" to /usr/bin/startkde, but that didn't work so I tried QT_LOGGING_RULES='*=false' which worked.

QT_LOGGING_RULES doesn't exist in LEAP. How does LEAP control qt debugging message level?

I tried to establish similar setups in both LEAP and Tumbleweed using the oxygen5 theme, cursors, decorations, style. I get tons of messages in Tumbleweed, very few in LEAP.

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE Plasma in Leap and Tumbleweed - Debugging level and lots of messages

I suspect the QT debugging level shouldn't have been set to be so verbose by default.

Recommend submitting a bug to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org.

Be sure to include your OS version and a list of your repositories (particularly if you have any special KDE repos configured)

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Exclamation Re: KDE Plasma in Leap and Tumbleweed - Debugging level and lots of messages

Quote Originally Posted by opensuseforumorg42 View Post
    There's seems to be a difference in the KDE debugging level in Leap vs Tumbleweed. There were 10's of hundreds of messages in Tumbleweed relating to KDE and qt from every KDE application, plasmashell, dolphin, kdeinit, kdeconnectd, systemsettings.
    I get tons of messages in Tumbleweed, very few in LEAP.
    May I suggest that, you install the following KDE package from the main OSS repository:
    Code:
     > zypper info kdebugsettings
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

Information for package kdebugsettings:
    ---------------------------------------
    Repository     : Haupt-Repository (OSS)
    Name           : kdebugsettings
    Version        : 17.12.3-lp150.1.1
    Arch           : x86_64
    Vendor         : openSUSE
    Installed Size : 201.6 KiB
    Installed      : Yes
    Status         : up-to-date
    Source package : kdebugsettings-17.12.3-lp150.1.1.src
    Summary        : A KDebug settings module for KDE
    Description    :
        KDebug control module for KDE. It provides a graphical frontend for the
        kdebug daemon, which allow enabling or disabling particular debug areas/messages.

>
    Call "kdebugsettings" from the KDE user's CLI prompt -- it doesn't seem to appear in the KDE Starter by default …
    • The GUI is reasonably intuitive -- there're buttons to "kill all debug messages" …