Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

Default Re: btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    I don't use BTRFS much, but my understanding is that only modified files are actually copied in a snapshot
    Nothing is "copied". btrfs is redirect-on-write (not copy-on-write as it is colloquially named incorrectly) - every new write goes in different place, not overwriting previous content. When write is complete, previous content is marked as free space. When you create snapshot, it simply increases reference count on current filesystem content, thus when it is updated, it is not marked as free but retained in snapshot.

And it is not file based, but extent based. If you snapshot 10G file and then overwrite the first 1G then 9G is shared between snapshot and current filesystem and 1G consumes additional space in current filesystem. Total space consumption is 11G. Not a single byte is copied (where "copied" means "content is read from disk and written somewhere else").

Quote Originally Posted by J_Andrew View Post
    I use snapper (only keep the most recent 2 to save space). Never had any problems with it.

I do not see any reason that you need to apologize for your english usage. It is better than many US born college graduates.
    I thank you for your feedback, you are very helpful and very very kind

@arvidjaar thank you very much !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12