Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    22

    Default btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

    Hello everyone,

    i want to install TW on my laptop (i have ssd samsung evo). I would like to ask you for feedback on btrfs ? this fs is it safe for TW on ssd or not ? I like btrfs only for snapper ... but if is not safe i will use ext4.

    Thank you in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,666

    Default Re: btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

    What do you mean by "safe"?
    If you are concerned by the wear out of the SSD memory cells, modern SSDs have a life expectancy that will easily go beyond the useful life of the laptop they are installed in.
    Tumbleweed writes a lot with its frequent distribution upgrades, but I don't think BTRFS per se adds much to the strain.
    Anyway there are several threads on the Forums about this issue, just do a search for "SSD"...
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

    I have been running TW with btrfs (using built in compression) on a 512GB Samsung m.2 ssd (whole drive LVM in LUKS) for more than 2 years without it giving me any problems. TW is the only OS on my laptop and I use it every day.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

    @OrsoBruno: are you italian ?

    about sure: I mean in terms of number of writes of btrfs with snapper compared to ext4. thanks for the advice

    @J_Andrew your answer gave me comfort ! do you use snapper for snapshot ?

    sorry for my english and thank you

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,666

    Default Re: btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

    Quote Originally Posted by alssndr0 View Post
    about sure: I mean in terms of number of writes of btrfs with snapper compared to ext4. thanks for the advice
    I don't use BTRFS much, but my understanding is that only modified files are actually copied in a snapshot and a modified file is a write operation in EXT4 too; wait for an expert to confirm this, there are a few using BTRFS with snapshots on SSDs (some are in the States, so wait till our afternoon )
    I don't use BTRFS on laptops because it "wastes space" in my view, but if your SSD is large enough for your needs I see no problem to worry about; you may just need to tweak a config or two, but defaults are pretty good these days...
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

  6. #6

    Default Re: btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

    I've used Btrfs as my filesystem on this laptop since 2012 (yes, it's
    getting older) without any problems related to Btrfs. I use snapshots,
    and as a result Btrfs probably helps my SSD's life, assuming that is a
    concern for anybody anymore, since writes to files between snapshots are
    writes to new files, thus the term Copy-on-Write (CoW). Anyway, I think
    Btrfs should not be a concern, particularly in a distribution from SUSE
    which uses it so well.


    --
    Good luck.

    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    show your appreciation and click on the star below.

    If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
    forum as I do not use the web interface often.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,581
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

    Quote Originally Posted by alssndr0 View Post
    @OrsoBruno: are you italian ?

    about sure: I mean in terms of number of writes of btrfs with snapper compared to ext4. thanks for the advice

    @J_Andrew your answer gave me comfort ! do you use snapper for snapshot ?

    sorry for my english and thank you
    Tw here, with btrfs for a ~1 year now, using the snapshotting a lot ( install stuff for support reasons, roll back to previous snapshot ) and no issues at all. FWIW: Modern day SSDs don't die from # of writes, and btrfs doesn't change much in that area. Apart from that: stay away from these computerrip sites that make you do manually what the system itself does better.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

    Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    I don't use BTRFS much, but my understanding is that only modified files are actually copied in a snapshot and a modified file is a write operation in EXT4 too; wait for an expert to confirm this, there are a few using BTRFS with snapshots on SSDs (some are in the States, so wait till our afternoon )
    I don't use BTRFS on laptops because it "wastes space" in my view, but if your SSD is large enough for your needs I see no problem to worry about; you may just need to tweak a config or two, but defaults are pretty good these days...
    thank you very much !

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Apart from that: stay away from these computerrip sites that make you do manually what the system itself does better.
    for this reason I'm here and I decided to write (although not well) here ! I love this distro and I think (maybe I'm wrong) it is useless to insert numerous repositories in leap to have updated applications. as much as using tumbleweed with snapper active as a precaution. I do not use the pc for work but only for personal pleasure and I only have opensuse as os.

    Thank you very much ! I appreciate your advice !

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    74

    Default Re: btrfs on tumbleweed on ssd is it safe or not ?

    Quote Originally Posted by alssndr0 View Post
    @J_Andrew your answer gave me comfort ! do you use snapper for snapshot ?

    sorry for my english and thank you
    I use snapper (only keep the most recent 2 to save space). Never had any problems with it.

    I do not see any reason that you need to apologize for your english usage. It is better than many US born college graduates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •