Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too many roots & swaps after install of LEAP 15

Default Re: Too many roots & swaps after install of LEAP 15

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post

I would go with the suggestion of arvidjaar in post #6 in this thread -- remove the LVM volumes that you don't currently need, and possibly use the freed space to expand the volumes that you do need.
    I concur to this. Remove LVs root and swap.

Then you will have ~27 GB unused at the beginning of the VG.
    When having 42.3, you had ~27 GB unused at the end of the VG. Thus the new situation will not really differ much from what you had. And like before you will be able to use that unused space at your will later.

BTW, you seem to be a bit irritated by our questioning. Please take into account that, as said earlier, you provided some quoted information without any reference to it's source. And add to that that when advising about partitions, LVs and the like and file systems, one has to be very careful. Thus please understand that people will very much like to have a good insight in what your situation is. Just posting some careless advice upon which you brake your system is most probably not what you want.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    The last thing the partitioning in the installer does is provide you with a list of what it plans to do. Pay attention to this screen and change anything that does not look right. My guess is that you selected a new install rather than an upgrade. This would produce what we see since the installer assumes you want a second OS installed an upgrade would have used existing partitions. Again the partition scheme screen would tell you that. DON'T just click past it.
    Hi Gogalthorp:
    Thank you! This is exactly the advice I need.
    The Installer at that point in the install is not clear about what to choose unless you already know the end result of each choice.
    openSUSE-LEAP 15.0 KDE-x86_64
    Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3HP (rev. 1.0) | 16GB DDR3-1866
    AMD 880G + SB850 Chipset | ATI Radeon HD 4250 (DirectX10.1)
    sda=80GB Ext4 | sdb&sdc=500GB Ext4 | sdd=1T Ext4
    Firefox 60.6.1esr(64-bit) | Thunderbird 60.6.1(64-bit)

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I concur to this. Remove LVs root and swap.

BTW, you seem to be a bit irritated by our questioning. Please take into account that, as said earlier, you provided some quoted information without any reference to it's source. And add to that that when advising about partitions, LVs and the like and file systems, one has to be very careful. Thus please understand that people will very much like to have a good insight in what your situation is. Just posting some careless advice upon which you brake your system is most probably not what you want.
    Hi Henk:

Please take into account that I'm sitting in front of my Linux machine which is the only one I'll go online with.
    My XP box contains only bookkeeping, etc. information, some other programs I need that only run in Windows, and never goes online.
    Where did you think I got the information if not from the Yast Partitioner in my own machine?
    Would I find "LVM" in the partitioner in a "normal"/"usual"/"conventional" install? I don't know. I don't remember seeing it before using LVM.
    I had thought that the use of LVM was pretty clear in the original post, unless you may have thought I copied it from the internet. If I had done that, I certainly would have described it as such.

Code:
    /dev/system/        LVM

/dev/system/home    LV      EXT4        /home

/dev/system/root    LV      EXT4        /run/media/chuck/long-string-of-numbers....

/dev/system/root0   LV      EXT4        /

/dev/system/swap    LV      EXT4

/dev/system/swap0   LV      EXT4        swap
    Check the "Volume Management" page in the Partitioner.

So yes, I am a bit irritated about the continual ragging about not telling you I'm using LVM. I had thought that to be fairly obvious since it was right there in the "code" on this page.

I'm going to venture a guess as to how we get into these situations;
    When you guys check out the conditions in an OS, the first place you go to is the cli.
    When I have to do the same, I go to the gui, and if beyond my understanding, I have to ask someone, and I give thanks for you guys who take the time to help us with these things.
    But I think maybe because of that point-of-view your first thought is not of something I may have found in the gui - in this case the YaST Partitioner.

I hope we can get past this issue and focus on openSUSE LEAP15.0

I think we walk very different paths here. You seem to think that the majority of others use YaST > System > Partitioner all the time. This is not the case. Thus all we saw (in the first post) was a list that could be of your own design, typed down in a neat way, but nevertheless it could be just your own interpretation of things we did not see. And nobody of those that answered first recognized it as a sort of copy from the YaST partitioner.

And, I repeat, we are all very suspicious about the data shown to use (as somebody once on the forums formulated it: we are unbelievers, we want to see computer text) because we do not want to give bad advice that brakes your system. Thus better asked thrice then misunderstanding.

And please, when you more or less ask for it, You asked for help with a repair, but people could not see anything broken. And I repeat, in that famous list of you in post #1, I can not see any problem.

So, be glad that people try, in different ways, by asking different questions to you, to find out what this is all about and what you think is the problem.

Now, from me, enough if this.

I am much more interested if you now, using the rather common adivise above, have removed those two LVs and are satisfied with the result. Becaus that is what all here tried to achieve.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillium View Post
    I'm going to venture a guess as to how we get into these situations;
    When you guys check out the conditions in an OS, the first place you go to is the cli.
    Yes, this is likely true. So we are more familiar with the output from "fdisk -l" and "parted -l" than with Yast partitioner.

I have often used Yast partition, and so have other folk who responded to this post. However, Yast partitioner was recently redesigned, so we are less familiar with the new design.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Yes, this is likely true. So we are more familiar with the output from "fdisk -l" and "parted -l" than with Yast partitioner.

I have often used Yast partition, and so have other folk who responded to this post. However, Yast partitioner was recently redesigned, so we are less familiar with the new design.
    Hi, Mr. Rickert (and everyone else in this conversation):

Re: a quote from a previous post;
    Thus all we saw (in the first post) was a list that could be of your own design, typed down in a neat way
    Just hopefully to "clear the air", the information in the first post was indeed "typed down" in as close an approximation as I could of what I saw in the YaST Partitioner, since the Partitioner does not allow "select" and "copy". Re-creating it as text was my only option, since I haven't the facility with the cli that I would like to have.
    In short, we use the methods available to us within the limits of our knowledge and ability.

I also was not aware that having more than one root and more than one swap partition was "normal". Now I have learned.

Thanks, everyone, for looking at this. I have, since my last post, re-installed LEAP 15.0 from scratch and am working out the subsequent details....

It is not normal. It all depends on what you tell the installer to do. Installers do not read your mind and only make best guess on how to install it is up to the user to determine that is what they want and change it if it is not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12