Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Driver install while updating borked Xserver.

Default Nvidia Driver install while updating borked Xserver.

I'm new to tumbleweed so bear with me.

I got my system up and running and followed the instructions on how to install the Nvidia driver the easy way via zypper by adding the repo and telling it to install and restarting. Did that but when it rebooted it said that there were lots of updates for the system. Did the zypper dup and now it seems like something is wrong with the xserver. My best guess is that it looks like one of the updates moved to a newer kernel while installing the Nvidia driver. Inside the grub boot options I tried booting from the older kernel but it still refuses to boot to a graphical interface.

I'm pretty noob and I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Nvidia Driver install while updating borked Xserver.

Indeed snapshot 20180722 introduced a new X server
    xorg-x11-server (1.19.6 -> 1.20.0)
    How did you update? From a terminal emulator within the graphical desktop environment?
    Performing a "zypper dup" from the graphical session when X is going to be updated is looking for trouble, possibly leading to an incomplete or broken upgrade.
    If that was your case, maybe booting to a console and doing the upgrade again might solve your problem.
    To do so, at the bootloader screen press "E" for "edit", look for a line beginning with "linuxefi", append "3" (without quotes) then F10 to boot.
    At the login prompt, enter your regular username and password, then:
    Code:
    sudo zypper dup
    and hope for the best.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    Indeed snapshot 20180722 introduced a new X server
    How did you update? From a terminal emulator within the graphical desktop environment?
    Performing a "zypper dup" from the graphical session when X is going to be updated is looking for trouble, possibly leading to an incomplete or broken upgrade.
    If that was your case, maybe booting to a console and doing the upgrade again might solve your problem.
    To do so, at the bootloader screen press "E" for "edit", look for a line beginning with "linuxefi", append "3" (without quotes) then F10 to boot.
    At the login prompt, enter your regular username and password, then:
    Code:
    sudo zypper dup
    and hope for the best.

I see the the line starting with linuxefi. What part of that line do I add 3 to? Also is there a space when doing so?

Blog Entries

This should fix it: Force the reinstall of the nvidia packages you have installed.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    This should fix it: Force the reinstall of the nvidia packages you have installed.
    Ok good to hear but I'm confused on where to put the number 3 in the said line.

That line is long and wraps so go to the true end. Easiest to just use end key add a space and 3 to boot to terminal mode

So I pressed e to edit at the boot loader and added a space & 3 to the end of the efi line and pressed ctrlx to boot. Logged into the terminal and did a sudo zypper dup. It ended with a purple line saying nothing to do...

Since that command didn't work... Should I just reinstall and then update in init 3 mode?

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    Since that command didn't work... Should I just reinstall and then update in init 3 mode?
    "zypper dup" did work and "nothing to do" means that your system was already up to date (assuming that your network was working...).
    So maybe you have to reinstall the Nvidia driver. Assuming that your first install was correct, you may try:
    Code:
    zypper se -i nvidia
    take note of the installed packages, then:
    Code:
    zypper in --force x11-video-nvidiaG04
    or replace "G04" with "G03" or "G02" if your card is older, according to what you already installed.
    Since we don't know your HW (is it a desktop or maybe a laptop with "optimus" hybrid graphics?) nor if you followed the right procedure in the first place, I cannot go any further for now.
    Please be aware that on the first reboot the system might be "busy" for up to 3-5 minutes, so wait a bit before calling a broken X server...
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Default AW: Nvidia Driver install while updating borked Xserver.

or replace "G04" with "G03" or "G02" if your card is older, according to what you already installed.
    Thats right but:
    G02 is only avaible for Leap 42.3, but of course also G03 and G04.

In Leap 15.0 and Tumbleweed only G03 or G04 is avaible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast