Thread: Unicode Key In Feature Won't Work After Upgrade To Leap 15

Default Unicode Key In Feature Won't Work After Upgrade To Leap 15

I've upgraded my system from openSUSE Leap 42.3 to Leap 15 (that sounds weird, don't it?), and have noticed the long avaiable feature of pressing Ctrl-Shift-U to key in Unicode Characters is no longer working, on the Web Browser, and LibreOffice (of course, it never worked in KATE/KWRITE). So far, I've been in the icewm desktop, and it didn't work, and now I'm in the Plasma desktop, and it doesn't work... has Leap 15 changed this feature to something else?

Thanks.

Default Re: Unicode Key In Feature Won't Work After Upgrade To Leap 15

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Gazer View Post
    I've upgraded my system from openSUSE Leap 42.3 to Leap 15 (that sounds weird, don't it?), and have noticed the long avaiable feature of pressing Ctrl-Shift-U to key in Unicode Characters is no longer working, on the Web Browser, and LibreOffice (of course, it never worked in KATE/KWRITE). So far, I've been in the icewm desktop, and it didn't work, and now I'm in the Plasma desktop, and it doesn't work... has Leap 15 changed this feature to something else?
    OK. Old post. But still...

I assume you mean the Compose-key? That change in behavior was in the Release Notes, and you can read about it here: https://doc.opensuse.org/release-not...al.compose-key

Another method that is not mentioned in the Release-Notes is configuring via KDE’s System-Settings (probably KDE-oly):

Hardware > Input Devices > Keyboard > ‘Advanced’-tab > Position of Compose Key

You can choose more than one; I have Menu and Right-Alt.

Kind regards,
    Leen

Quote Originally Posted by leen_meyer View Post
    OK. Old post. But still...

I assume you mean the Compose-key? That change in behavior was in the Release Notes, and you can read about it here: https://doc.opensuse.org/release-not...al.compose-key

Another method that is not mentioned in the Release-Notes is configuring via KDE’s System-Settings (probably KDE-oly):

Hardware > Input Devices > Keyboard > ‘Advanced’-tab > Position of Compose Key

You can choose more than one; I have Menu and Right-Alt.

Kind regards,
    Leen
    Thanks for the info - sorry it took so long to get back to you, but somehow it got fixed (after an "upgrade" procedure? Don't Remember). I seem to have done a new installed of KDE and having the same problem. I may be in error, but it doesn't appear to be what you are referencing... I installed the Gnome Desktop on another partition and the CTRL-SHIFT-U (HOLD THOSE DOWN, and enter the Unicode Number) seems to be working on it, and the Fedora partition.

Example:
    To enter the RIGHTWARDS WHITE ARROW, "⇨", Kcharselect reads "U+21E8". So I would press CTRL-SHIFT+U simultaneously, and hold those keys down, while entering 21E8, then the "⇨" symbol would enter in the text area / text box, like Facebook or here. (none of these of course, has ever worked in KWRITE or KATE).

Can Anybody provide an answer?

Thanks for the info - sorry it took so long to get back to you, but somehow it got fixed (after an "upgrade" procedure? Don't Remember). I seem to have done a new installed of KDE and having the same problem. I may be in error, but it doesn't appear to be what you are referencing... I installed the Gnome Desktop on another partition and the CTRL-SHIFT-U (HOLD THOSE DOWN, and enter the Unicode Number) seems to be working on it, and the Fedora partition.

Example:
    To enter the RIGHTWARDS WHITE ARROW, "⇨", Kcharselect reads "U+21E8". So I would press CTRL-SHIFT+U simultaneously, and hold those keys down, while entering 21E8, then the "⇨" symbol would enter in the text area / text box, like Facebook or here. (none of these of course, has ever worked in KWRITE or KATE).
    (Sorry about my late answer; I don’t come here too often ;-)

I did not know that this “key-combo method” existed, hence my (wrong) guess.

On the first try in LibreOffice, I was surprised to find out that this works. (BTW I first tried <compose-key> = >, a key-combo that I just guessed, and that worked as well). Let’s pick U+1F603: I press and hold <L-Ctrl>+<L-Shift> and type U1F603: 😃 Nice! To my big surprise, that just worked in Firefox. It does not seem work in KDE-applications (kcharselect, krunner, kwrite), so it probably is a Gnome-thingy (works in GIMP and GNOME Character Map as well).

Since it works in Gnome-applications started in KDE, I guess it would work in Gnome-applications started in Icewm as well (Hmm, hang on... not in LibreOffice on Icewm it seems, but works in Firefox on Icewm).

Kind regards,

Leen

Quote Originally Posted by leen_meyer View Post
    (Sorry about my late answer; I don’t come here too often ;-)

I did not know that this “key-combo method” existed, hence my (wrong) guess.

On the first try in LibreOffice, I was surprised to find out that this works. (BTW I first tried <compose-key> = >, a key-combo that I just guessed, and that worked as well). Let’s pick U+1F603: I press and hold <L-Ctrl>+<L-Shift> and type U1F603: ������ Nice! To my big surprise, that just worked in Firefox. It does not seem work in KDE-applications (kcharselect, krunner, kwrite), so it probably is a Gnome-thingy (works in GIMP and GNOME Character Map as well).

Since it works in Gnome-applications started in KDE, I guess it would work in Gnome-applications started in Icewm as well (Hmm, hang on... not in LibreOffice on Icewm it seems, but works in Firefox on Icewm).

Kind regards,

Leen
    Thanks for response ... I have been informed about the change (or, I had an odd way of doing it before, that worked, but there's a more proper way?)... Previously, I would Press
    Ctrl+Shift+U, and release the "U", then enter the Unicode number, and the symbol would appear ON THE FLY ... in fact, strangely enough, that just worked right here in this comment for the short dash, 2013 ::: –. for some reason, this quit working in places like Facebook Posts/Comments. So, I press Ctrl+Shift+U keys all at once, release them, enter the Code Number, and hit the SPACE bar, and Tada!

I see what you mean about the different desktops, and how this works depending on Desktops... apparently, the same goes for dependency on which Linux Distro too I guess, because in another distro, it even works in KWRITE, to my surprise (Gnome Desktop), and that has never worked for me in openSUSE (just checked, and it still doesn't work here in openSUSE -- no big deal one that through).

May I ask about your statement,
    I press and hold <L-Ctrl>+<L-Shift> and type U1F603: ������
    ?

Is that like Ctrl + Shift + the "L" letter key together

Kind Regards,
    Cliff

Blog Entries

Is that like Ctrl + Shift + the "L" letter key together

Kind Regards,
    Cliff
    No, that "L" means the shift key on the left side of your keyboard, as opposed to the shift key on the right side.

Yes, when there are keys for left and right hands, it can be important to press the key on one side of the keyboard and not the other.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    No, that "L" means the shift key on the left side of your keyboard, as opposed to the shift key on the right side.
    That was indeed my intention, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Yes, when there are keys for left and right hands, it can be important to press the key on one side of the keyboard and not the other.
    Yes, can. But, being curious, I found out that in this case, all permutations of <Shift> and <Ctrl> seem to work (8 total), and, one may even hold down the <U>-key as well (another 8).

For some extreme finger acrobatics, try holding down 3 keys <R-Ctrl>+<L-Shift>+<U> while typing 1F609. But let’s not dwell on this.

Kind regards,
    Leen