Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does regular update accomplish what a dist upgrade does

Default Does regular update accomplish what a dist upgrade does

This probably sounds like a dumb question and I don't know if this is the right place to ask this.
    But, I have Tumbleweed installed for a few weeks now and do my updating manually via CLI.

When I do, sometimes I see that there is a dist-upgrade and it says to do that instead of the regular update.
    But, I go ahead and proceed with my regular update and afterwards, check for updates and there are none.
    Which makes me think that everything that needed updating was updated.

I have this alias in .bashrc:
    Code:
    alias ud='sudo zypper ref && sudo zypper up'
    Is everything being updated as I see no more updates afterwards?

A couple of times I did the dist-upgrade and left my repos as is. It warned me about doing that. But, nothing bad seemed to happen.
    But, I do understand, I just do not know what repos I should disable.
    This is what I would use for a dist upgrade:
    Code:
    alias upd='sudo zypper ref && sudo zypper dup'
    Here are the repos I have:

So, am I good with doing it this way or not?

Thanks
    Intel Core i7-4770K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Mobo: ASUSTeK, model: Z87-K, Mem: 16GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Series, HD: Western Digital 1TB SSD, OCZ 500GB SSD and a Toshiba 2TB SATA HD

Default Re: Does regular update accomplish what a dist upgrade does

No!
    This topic has been discussed here at great length, and at great frequency.
    You are advised to read the forum before posting a question -- it's a lot quicker.
    e.g.
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...r-dup-manually
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

This general topic has been discussed over and over again here, the only guaranteed method to keep Tumbleweed up to date is "zypper dup".
    WRT your setup, please be aware that:
    1- "zypper dup" implies a "zypper ref" done before everything else, so your script includes a duplicate (and a "--not-allow-vendor change" option by default unless you changed that yourself);
    2- most of your enabled repos have duplicates with apparently different names or URLs, consider cleaning up your list;
    3- the libdvdcss repo can safely be disabled once you got that one package installed, since it has no updates since years.

The main reason for a warning to running a "dup" with many repos enabled is that it may break your system if the same package is in two or more repos in different versions; I would check if that might be the case with the home:Herbster and shell utilities repos, for instance, compared to the "regular" repos.
    One "packman" repo (not three as in your system) can usually be enabled, since the default --no-allow-vendor-change option will ensure sticking with the version in that repo.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Thanks and sorry as I thought this might be a touchy question. I've read a whole lot about the differences but, since I just did the upgrade and it didn't list any more after doing so, I thought I'd ask.

I bookmarked your link eng-int. I'll read it over asap.

I will clean up my repos and go for a dist-upgrade next time the system asks. Thanks for the info OrsoBruno. I didn't know the "ref" was redundant.
    The 2 extra packman repos: one was a mirror and the other was essentials for codecs so, I thought they might be needed but, I'll disable those 2 also.

One question, is there any way to get rid of that box that pops up and says this?
    Software Updates
    There are 52 software updates available
    with a button that says "Install Updates".
    I prefer to do all my updates when I chose.

Thanks!
    Intel Core i7-4770K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Mobo: ASUSTeK, model: Z87-K, Mem: 16GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Series, HD: Western Digital 1TB SSD, OCZ 500GB SSD and a Toshiba 2TB SATA HD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    One question, is there any way to get rid of that box that pops up and says this?
    Right click on the tray (just above that inverted triangle). Select "System Tray Settings".

Uncheck the box for "Software Updates".

That's it.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I prefer to do all my updates when I chose.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Right click on the tray (just above that inverted triangle). Select "System Tray Settings".

Uncheck the box for "Software Updates".

That's it.

I believe this is what you mean.
    Thank you!

BTW, a dist-upgrade was presented to me again this morning, so I quit the regular update, disabled the extra repos and went for it.
    I did see a huge difference with 185 updates.

Something that did sort of alarm me was that libefivar1 was going to be downgraded. I didn't think that looked good but, I went with it.
    Enabled a few repos that I had disabled tried a regular upgrade and nothing happened so, I guess it was good.

Even though I know this is a touchy subject, I appreciate the info and posts. I have learned a lot.

Blog Entries

Despite this question asked numerous times,

The actual result of "zypper up" and "zypper dup" on TW has varied over time.
    So, IMO it's still worth answering all the time because the distro can't even be consistent over time about what "zypper up" does.

Periodically I run "zypper up" out of curiousity followed by "zypper dup."
    At times, there has been no difference.

Today, as of this writing there is again a difference... "zypper dup" will update additional packages after a "zypper up."

So,
    It often does make a difference although there isn't supposed to be a diff on TW...
    Always run "zypper dup."

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Something that did sort of alarm me was that libefivar1 was going to be downgraded. I didn't think that looked good but, I went with it.
    Occasionally "zypper dup" causes downgrades, for instance when a problematic package is reverted back waiting for a fix.
    In such a case, "zypper up" would not ask for a downgrade, possibly breaking your system.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Blog Entries

Yes, that happened here.

There was another post recently that mentioned a bug. And the way to fix the bug was to downgrade efivar1. So this update was probably including that bug fix.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Thank you for the replies! I'm glad I posted this now maybe someone else will also benefit from it.

That is great that dup is smart enough to downgrade a package because of a bug!

I'm a long time Linux user, former mainframe programmer also computer electronics tech. that got started with computers in the late 70s.
    Computers were pretty dumb back then.

But, the more I learn about openSUSE, the more I like it. Love the Compiz Fusion Icon working great like it does.
    Arch Linux is the only other Linux OS that has a working Fusion Icon that I am aware of.

I had to go with Tumbleweed since it is like Arch, a rolling release. I'm not a fan of upgrading to the next version or doing a clean install, etc.

Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast