Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does regular update accomplish what a dist upgrade does

Default Re: Does regular update accomplish what a dist upgrade does

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I had to go with Tumbleweed since it is like Arch, a rolling release. I'm not a fan of upgrading to the next version or doing a clean install, etc.
    I am not sure that it is really a rolling release. I would think that meant that packages and patterns were updated individually as they became available, i.e. Factory.

The quality control and snapshotting leads me to regard Tumbleweed more as a rapid-release distribution. Upgrading often involves replacing thousands of files.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Blog Entries

On Wed 25 Jul 2018 04:36:03 PM CDT, eng-int wrote:

Cavsfan;2875071 Wrote:
    > I had to go with Tumbleweed since it is like Arch, a rolling release.
    > I'm not a fan of upgrading to the next version or doing a clean
    > install, etc.

I am not sure that it is really a rolling release. I would think that
    meant that packages and patterns were updated individually as they
    became available, i.e. Factory.

The quality control and snapshotting leads me to regard Tumbleweed more
    as a rapid-release distribution. Upgrading often involves replacing
    thousands of files.

Hi
    Well a new release image(s) is/are created after every release....
    sometimes there are a lot of updates, eg switch to gcc8

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-23-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

... AND, for legitimate tech questions, although we prefer Users to first try to look for an answer in the Forums, I personally do not think any tech question from someone struggling with an issue should be considered a "touchy subject".

We are trying our best to be a friendly forum.

Glad you have things worked out, and welcome aboard.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Despite this question asked numerous times,

The actual result of "zypper up" and "zypper dup" on TW has varied over time.
    So, IMO it's still worth answering all the time because the distro can't even be consistent over time about what "zypper up" does.
    I somewhat agree with this. I had to strongly resist giving an infraction to someone else's post in this thread. Thanks, Tony.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Quote Originally Posted by eng-int View Post
    I am not sure that it is really a rolling release. I would think that meant that packages and patterns were updated individually as they became available, i.e. Factory.

The quality control and snapshotting leads me to regard Tumbleweed more as a rapid-release distribution. Upgrading often involves replacing thousands of files.
    Tumbleweed is advertised as being a rolling release even on their website: https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed

Doing a dist-upgrade once in a while does not change that fact IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Despite this question asked numerous times,

The actual result of "zypper up" and "zypper dup" on TW has varied over time.
    So, IMO it's still worth answering all the time because the distro can't even be consistent over time about what "zypper up" does.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    I somewhat agree with this. I had to strongly resist giving an infraction to someone else's post in this thread. Thanks, Tony.
    +1 Totally agree! I think this thread is worth posting and I have learned quite a bit myself.

Thanks for leaving it open since the info shared is invaluable to new openSUSE users like me and probably others as well.

Some forums are not tolerant at all and just say go read the wiki and close the thread. I'm glad that is not the case here and I am beginning to really like this forum and also feeling at home here.
    Intel Core i7-4770K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Mobo: ASUSTeK, model: Z87-K, Mem: 16GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Series, HD: Western Digital 1TB SSD, OCZ 500GB SSD and a Toshiba 2TB SATA HD

Doing a dist-upgrade once in a while does not change that fact IMO.
    With TW you always do a DUP never ever do UP. Yes you can sometimes get by but at some point something will break

One question, is there any way to get rid of that box that pops up and says this?
    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Right click on the tray (just above that inverted triangle). Select "System Tray Settings".

Uncheck the box for "Software Updates".

That's it.

I put a checked the box beside Software Updates, which says "hidden" above it in the notifications for the top panel.

I still got a popup saying I had 85 updates while I was updating via terminal. Is there something I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    With TW you always do a DUP never ever do UP. Yes you can sometimes get by but at some point something will break
    I was busy doing testing in Arch most of the day but, just got into Tumbleweed and tried an up. It said it was going to update 85 packages and add a new one. But, it also said there was a distribution upgrade and I should cancel.

I gave it a 'n' and went with the dup. It did not update any more packages than the up listed but it did upgrade and I know now dup was the right thing to do.

So, it should be alright to just do an update if it does not say anything about a dist upgrade would it not?
    Intel Core i7-4770K, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Mobo: ASUSTeK, model: Z87-K, Mem: 16GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Series, HD: Western Digital 1TB SSD, OCZ 500GB SSD and a Toshiba 2TB SATA HD

Blog Entries

I put a checked the box beside Software Updates, which says "hidden" above it in the notifications for the top panel.

I still got a popup saying I had 85 updates while I was updating via terminal. Is there something I missed?
    When you open "System Tray Settings", there are several tabs in the left column.

Your screenshot shows the tab labeled "Entries". That's where you set whether the tray icon is to be hidden or always visible.

The "General" tab also has an entry "Software Updates". You might have to scroll down to find it (they appear to be in alphabetical order, and "Software Updates" is near the end). If you uncheck that, then the updater is not even started. So it won't tell you anything about updates. That's what I prefer, so that I can just use "zypper" on my own schedule.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

So, it should be alright to just do an update if it does not say anything about a dist upgrade would it not?
    Personally I do not understand this attitude. What is so attractive about a zypper up to prefer it above zypper dup. Despite the fact that "everybody" (the distribution itself, in many threads on the forums) advice to do a zypper dup as being the only supported way of doing it? Why telling proudly about cases where zypper up did not break anything (at least it was not noticed) and then more or less present it as "prove" that you do not need a zypper dup? Or ask hopefully: "Can there be situations that I can use my beloved zypper up"

It is like you coming with your car on a crossroads where a sign says "road flooded, take the by-pass". And you driving on and succeeding in getting trough it without your engine stopping (but maybe two days later it shows to be damaged nevertheless) and then advertizing: "don't believe the signs on the crossroad".

IMHO those that did it wrong in the past, should gladly accept the advice and say to themselves: "am I glad that I did not unknowingly bork my system to much", instead of advertizing the fact that they did wrong without real damage, to the innocent fellow users here?

There are many threads here on the forums where a zypper up was the start of problems and a (partly) system outage for some days before the friendly people here helped with their advise to do a zypper dup. I hope nobody hopes others have to go through learning the lesson "Use zypper dup on Tumbleweed" the hard way.

The distribution did several things to help. It made --no-vendor-change the default on zypper dup in Tumbleweed. It let the (not openSUSE invented) applet give the warning: "use zypper dup".
    Henk van Velden

No.

No, no, no, no,no, no, NO!!!

Only
    Code:
    zypper dup
    in Tumbleweed.

Only
    Code:
    zypper dup
    in Tumbleweed.

Only
    Code:
    zypper dup
    in Tumbleweed.

I am now trying to think of a way to make it any clearer.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    ~~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast