Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USERNAME is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

Blog Entries

Default Re: USERNAME is not in the sudoers file. This incident will bereported.

On Tue 24 Jul 2018 05:46:02 PM CDT, Star Gazer wrote:

hcvv;2874855 Wrote:
    > I did not say it would not work (and the man pages are there for all
    > to read). After all it is all GNU Linux and the same as Unix (in this
    > aspect). I only say that the approach is very different here (after
    > all if all distributions were the same, they do not have a ground to
    > exist) and that people here might be not very well equipped when you
    > want help with the "Ubuntu" way.
    >
    > Just a warning.

I'm checking the MAN pages out now... they are easier to grasp via
    Konqueror.

I don't know what you mean by wanting help with the "Ubuntu" way; I've
    been using openSUSE since 2009 or 2010, and this issue has always been a
    standard with installs (after all, there must be a reason it comes as
    part of the openSUSE package), and it has been referenced in these
    forums here and there over the years, so of course, I ask here; however,
    duly noted that not every computer user uses all the commands and/or
    applications that are installed on their OS, so it's acknowledged like
    others, "sudo" is not used by every openSUSE user... it's just more
    "convenient" (i.e., and eccentricity) for some us... I understand I can
    do a re-install to get it back working, so perhaps I may wind up doing
    that if the MAN pages don't help. OTOH, I won't be dying over any loss
    of being able to use it.

Hi
    The only thing I use visudo for is for OBS and local builds with osc
    and the su-wrapper = sudo;
    Code:
    <username> ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/build
    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-23-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: USERNAME is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

There are reasons why the wheel group is used in other distros (I've seen recommendations in Ubuntu and Fedora).
    Some situations are designed to get around the restrictions of not being able to "su" like we can in openSUSE.

In any case,
    In other Forum threads,
    I've cautioned that making your normal User account a member of the wheel group is dangerous, and IMO very, very inadvisable because the consequence is to elevate your normal User account nearly to the capability of root.
    In other words, making your User account a member of wheel makes your User account <always> capable of what the wheel group allows you to do so is tantamount to logging in to your session as root.
    On the other hand, we have a better solution in openSUSE. If you use an elevated windowed console running "su" or "su-" then your elevated permissions exist only as long as that window is open and in the context of commands in that window or child processes. When you close the elevated console, those elevated capabilities vanish.

So,
    I advise using wheel only in the security context of a non-interactive background process, for instance providing the security context for running an automated management application on a number of remote machines. If the command is non-interactive, it reduces exposure to hacking.
    But never as a normal User invoking applications you can start from an application launcher, for example.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Default Re: USERNAME is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Gazer View Post
    Recently, I've been trying to use the 'sudo' command and getting denied with the response of:
    "USERNAME is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported." (the word "USERNAME" refers to the personal user name here).
    I've been using Linux since 2009, and virtually all these years, openSUSE has been what I've been using, and I have never encountered this problem until recently.
    Yesterday, I upgraded from Leap 42.3 to Leap 15.0, and still have the problem. Internet Search and suggestions have yield not results.
    Code:
    -r--r----- 1 root root 3188 Jul 23 22:21 /etc/sudoers
    Yea, I added myself, did a thing for the %wheel group, created a %sudo group, added those groups to my acct, and other things I have seen on the internet, of "fixes" (or so-called), "try this", etc.

I'll check the site out you referenced.
    Well, there is a 'sudo' package in the openSUSE repository; I tried re-installing it (it may be included on a fresh/new install); I've used it for years; It allows to run root commands within standard user command, plus, I use the sudo in bash scripts... I've only had to enter the password once, and sudo is good for at least 5 minutes before it'll ask again...
    sudo command (enter password)
    user command
    sudo command
    user command
    sudo command
    sudo command
    user command
    etc.

Of course, with "Konsole", I can just open up a separate tab (root terminal) and go back and forth... not sure about the Gnome Terminal and others.
    Hmmm. I was going to try to help, here, but it seems you are doing things in an odd and unusual way. Unfortunately, because of that, I cannot help. But, I wish you good luck, as most others here will run into the same problem trying to help.

The only thing I can suggest is to do a clean install of openSUSE and stick with the default methods of doing this.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

I've newer messed with the sudoers file and I'm not really sure what you want to accomplish do you want to be able to run root commands without entering the root password, that's doable I'd say again read the wiki or the /etc/sudoers file
    there's also a yast2 module for changing user capabilities it's in
    yast2->Security and Users->Sudo

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Hmmm. I was going to try to help, here, but it seems you are doing things in an odd and unusual way. Unfortunately, because of that, I cannot help. But, I wish you good luck, as most others here will run into the same problem trying to help.

The only thing I can suggest is to do a clean install of openSUSE and stick with the default methods of doing this.
    I'm at a point where I think I may have to do just that (a clean install); since the upgrade, I have encountered others issues, like audio recording (that, I believe I can get straightened up), and the loss of the Ctrl-Shift-U feature to enter Non-Keyboard Unicode Characters, which I use a LOT.

I'm at a point where I think I may have to do just that (a clean install); since the upgrade, I have encountered others issues, like audio recording (that, I believe I can get straightened up), and the loss of the Ctrl-Shift-U feature to enter Non-Keyboard Unicode Characters, which I use a LOT.
    Add onto that of finding out the SNAPPER is not doing the hourly snapshots of each cfg file... it does appear I will have to do a SNAPPER ROLLBACK and then at a good time, just do a clean install, since there seems to be a few problems instead of just one.

I am happy to report that I have done a fresh clean install of Leap 15 and the problems, sudo, snapper hourly snapshots, and Ctrl-Shift-U for unicode is now gone, and they are all back to working now.

Thank all of you for all your input(s), and best wishes to you and yours to each of you.

I am glad your problems are solved now.

And I learned something new. The Ctr-Shift-u. Thus is U+21B2: ↲
    Henk van Velden

I am happy to report that I have done a fresh clean install of Leap 15 and the problems, sudo, snapper hourly snapshots, and Ctrl-Shift-U for unicode is now gone, and they are all back to working now.

Thank all of you for all your input(s), and best wishes to you and yours to each of you.
    Superb!!!

Glad this has worked out for you.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12