Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    AFAICS, before we submit a Change Request to the Qt folks, we need to find out if the Qt API being used by the KDE folks really has an issue or not.
    If we cannot fault the Qt implementation then, we'll have to investigate the programming style that the KDE folks are using for the printer support routines.
    To that end, I think a KDE bug report is in order. It should fairly easy for them to test/replicate this issue.
    openSUSE Leap 15.4; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

@SUSEtoad: Returning to your comment in post #13....
    Update: If I change the page margins to 10mm on all sides (Print ... Properties ... Page), the problem does not occur.

Unfortunately, I have not yet discovered a way for Okular to remember the settings. It always returns to the 5mm L/R & 6mm T/B defaults.
    that is an interesting find (to me anyway). Since this works for you, I can help you make the margins permanent.

The default margins are defined in the printer PPD file (located in the /etc/cups/ppd/ directory). Thankfully, they can be changed to suit. In the .ppd file, you'll find 'ImageableArea' values. They represent PostScript points where 72pt = 1" ~= 2.54cm. For example, my Brother DCP-7055 ppd file has the following margins defined...
    Code:
    ImageableArea Letter/Letter: "18 12 594 780"
    pertaining to 6.35mm from left and right edges, and 4.23mm from top and bottom. (The corresponding Letter page size is 612 pts x792 pts).

To set 10mm margins for Letter-sized paper, I could edit that file so that I have
    Code:
    ImageableArea Letter/Letter: "28.346 28.346 583.654 763.654"
    The next time you go to print, the KDE print dialogue will show the new margins as default.

Hope that helps (and eliminate the need for a bug report).
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 08-Aug-2018 at 02:50.

Exclamation Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    Should I erase-and-reinstall 42.3 or is this going to be fixed in 15?
    Apropos Leap 42.3:

openSUSE News: <https://news.opensuse.org/> -- also available as RSS Feed, Tweets, Facebook, Google+ …

Question Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    Update: If I change the page margins to 10mm on all sides (Print ... Properties ... Page), the problem does not occur.
    @SUSEtoad:
    Huh? US Letter is 8½ by 11 inches -- how come you're setting the margins with millimetres? -- an often used US Letter page margin is 1 inch: 72 points -- 6½ inch line lengths …
    • But, you should be adjusting your page margins such that only 65 to 70 (proportional) characters per (US Letter) line are present [The Chicago Manual of Style (I have the 14th edition), section 18.7] -- this may mean that, 2 inch (144 points) left and right margins are better suited to your needs …

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    For example, my Brother DCP-7055 ppd file has the following margins defined...
    Code:
    ImageableArea Letter/Letter: "18 12 594 780"
    pertaining to 6.35mm from left and right edges, and 4.23mm from top and bottom. (The corresponding Letter page size is 612 pts x792 pts).
    Hmmm … Thanks!!
    I have a Kyocera FS-820 printer -- PCL6 only « mistaken purchase … », not the Postscript capable FS-920 -- with a corrected PPD but still the default Kyocera margin settings -- which don't take the printable area into account …
    Code:
    *ImageableArea A4/A4: "0 0 595 842"
    *ImageableArea Letter/US-Letter: "0 0 612 792

*PaperDimension A4/A4: "595 842"
    *PaperDimension Letter/US-Letter: "612 792"
    It seems that, I have some maintenance to do -- the last change was made during openSUSE 13.1 time -- the printer seems to be indestructible -- another PPD change is needed …

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Hope that helps (and eliminate the need for a bug report).
    Maybe, or, maybe not: US Letter paper is almost impossible to buy here -- I'll see what I can do with some more testing with US Letter sized PDF pages as indicated in my post on the 24th of July …

Blog Entries

Hmmm … Thanks!!
    I have a Kyocera FS-820 printer -- PCL6 only « mistaken purchase … », not the Postscript capable FS-920 -- with a corrected PPD but still the default Kyocera margin settings -- which don't take the printable area into account …
    Code:
    *ImageableArea A4/A4: "0 0 595 842"
    *ImageableArea Letter/US-Letter: "0 0 612 792

*PaperDimension A4/A4: "595 842"
    *PaperDimension Letter/US-Letter: "612 792"
    It seems that, I have some maintenance to do -- the last change was made during openSUSE 13.1 time -- the printer seems to be indestructible -- another PPD change is needed …
    Your printer might be capable of borderless printing perhaps?

Maybe, or, maybe not: US Letter paper is almost impossible to buy here -- I'll see what I can do with some more testing with US Letter sized PDF pages as indicated in my post on the 24th of July …
    I only meant that based on the OPs findings with respect to margin size, it would suffice without a bug report needed from their perspective.

And, digging through the Ubuntu Bug Report, there's this Qt Bug Report which was submitted 5 days ago: <https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-69562>.

An explanation:
    The KDE folks use a Qt interface which relieves them of a lot of the low level programming effort but, unfortunately, it means that KDE applications rely heavily on the Qt code being able to support hardware configurations properly.
    What QT loads from cups for defaults is not used when printing: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-6302

Which references a kde bug:
    Defaults to A4 paper, even though 'US Letter' is specified in settings: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=174354

The last entry says QT 5.11. Tumbleweed is 5.11. Leap 5.9.4.

Note that modern printers CAN NOT print to the edge of the paper there has to be a hardware defined margin that varies from printer model to printer model. The defined printing area normally takes this into account and defines a rectangle into which printing happens. 0 margins may not be good. Also there can be hardware settings on the printer itself that define the paper size and other features.

Also there are 256 mm per inch. The scale used maybe hardware dependent ie Inch/mm But mostly metric is finally becoming the standard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Note that modern printers CAN NOT print to the edge of the paper there has to be a hardware defined margin that varies from printer model to printer model.
    I think that is generally understood. However, not all PPDs reflect actual printer capabilities accurately it would seem.

Also there are 256 mm per inch. The scale used maybe hardware dependent ie Inch/mm But mostly metric is finally becoming the standard
    No... ~25.4mm per inch.

@SUSEtoad:
    Huh? US Letter is 8½ by 11 inches -- how come you're setting the margins with millimetres?
    Because I live in Canada, where we use the metric system.

Do you need some one from NA to ship you Letter-size paper? Seriously; that's easy to do.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast