Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 70

Thread: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    1,754

    Default Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

    If you ever liked KDE and getting work done is a priority, TDE an option to seriously consider. I have it on more than 20 installations. When I upgrade my primary from 42.3 to 15.0, TDE as a replacement for KDE3 will be included.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,760

    Default Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    This is not a printer driver issue, it's about printing behavior with KDE applications.
    Applications receive info about the printer via the print driver. Each app does not magically know about all printers. ie the app thinks there is A4 paper in the printer for some reason. Maybe do to hardware settings on the printer or the print driver or cups.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,552
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Applications receive info about the printer via the print driver. Each app does not magically know about all printers. ie the app thinks there is A4 paper in the printer for some reason. Maybe do to hardware settings on the printer or the print driver or cups.
    @gogoalthorp: I know how it works. CUPS gets the appropriate settings from the PPD actually. However, you've misunderstood this thread. Read it from the beginning and you'll realise that the OP has letter size set in the opening post. I had the OP verify this (refer post #4 and post #9). The OP has clearly explained that the problem occurs when using KDE apps (and only KDE apps), with them trying to print letter-size pages as A4, and resulting in distorted printing. This does not happen with GTK applications.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,561

    Unhappy Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

    Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    That references Qt version 4.8.7...we're using 5.9.5 by default (for Leap 15.0). There have been a few similar bug reports describing this behaviour (over a span of several years), impacting KDE since version 4.X.
    Looking at the comments between last Thursday and today, AFAICS there are two possibilities which, possibly, may have to be executed in parallel:
    1. Raise the appropriate Qt Bug Report and, a parallel KDE Bug Report for tracking purposes;
    2. Begin an on-line petition to make it clear to the Qt and KDE developers that, international paper sizes shall never be ignored …

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,552
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Looking at the comments between last Thursday and today, AFAICS there are two possibilities which, possibly, may have to be executed in parallel:
    1. Raise the appropriate Qt Bug Report and, a parallel KDE Bug Report for tracking purposes;
    2. Begin an on-line petition to make it clear to the Qt and KDE developers that, international paper sizes shall never be ignored …
    Yes, probably a good strategy...
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,561

    Cool Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

    I now have an account with Qt which allows me to search their Bug Report database and to write Bug Reports …

    A (Qt) search for "Printer US Letter" revealed:
    • QTBUG-35321: "Mac supportedPaperSizes() returns duplicate and invalid values" -- Qt version 5.2.0 RC1;
    • QTBUG-21613: "QPrinter::setPaperSize(PaperSize) fails on Mac with non-metric paper" -- fixed with Qt version 4.8.1;
    • QTBUG-6471: "QPrintDialog for unix does not correctly read CUPS settings" -- fixed with Qt version 4.6.3.

    Despite 2 of the reports being for the Mac world, please realise that, Mac is a (certified) UNIX® and therefore the issue also applies to Linux except that, the Mac world doesn't seem to be using the Qt API which KDE Plasma is using …

    Please realise that, in the Qt world, a bug fixed in an earlier release is also considered to be fixed in later releases …

    Be that as it may, the issue seems to be, the way in which the Qt application (in this case KDE Plasma) calls the (Qt) printer routines -- the Qt folks seem to suspect that, currently, their printer support routines are OK -- at least for the case of "Qt Commercial" …

    Today's bad news:
    • KDE Plasma code inspection is needed before a Qt Bug Report can be raised to nail the Qt function call which is (possibly) misbehaving …

  7. #27

    Default Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

    Can I get some understanding as to why this bug isn't fixed yet and why it's taking so long?

    I understand that volunteer developers move slowly and there are hundreds of bugs to deal with at any time. But this is CORE FUNCTIONALITY NOT WORKING. How can BASIC PRINTING be broken for EVERY NORTH AMERICAN USER with letter-sized-paper and weeks go past with no fix?

    I'm genuinely shocked that alarm sirens aren't screaming somewhere to get this bug patched, especially with it being known about in several Internet bug-trackers, possibly for months.

  8. #28

    Default Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

    SUSEtoad wrote:

    >
    > Can I get some understanding as to why this bug isn't fixed yet and
    > why it's taking so long?
    >
    > I understand that volunteer developers move slowly and there are
    > hundreds of bugs to deal with at any time. But this is *CORE
    > FUNCTIONALITY NOT WORKING*. How can *BASIC PRINTING* be broken for
    > *EVERY NORTH AMERICAN USER* with letter-sized-paper and weeks go past
    > with no fix?
    >
    > I'm genuinely shocked that alarm sirens aren't screaming somewhere to
    > get this bug patched, especially with it being known about in several
    > Internet bug-trackers, possibly for months.
    >
    >


    One does begin to wonder whether it's time to get off the KDE/QT
    bandwagon. But what DE to replace it? I really dislike Gnome. So the
    choices seem to be old KDE/trinity, XFCE, LXDE, LXQT. What would people
    recommend, and why?

    --
    *********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,552
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

    Quote Originally Posted by ian_gay View Post
    One does begin to wonder whether it's time to get off the KDE/QT
    bandwagon. But what DE to replace it? I really dislike Gnome. So the
    choices seem to be old KDE/trinity, XFCE, LXDE, LXQT. What would people
    recommend, and why?

    --
    *********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************
    Jus to clarify, it's the applications that are being used that are relevant here (or rather what they are built with), not the choice of desktop environment one might prefer. For example, if you use Okular (Qt5 app) in XFCE, you'll still be using the same print subsystem.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,561

    Cool Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

    I suspect that, with respect to this issue, we should attempt to remain calm …
    • Please be aware that, the Qt Company does not have a volunteer community maintaining it's code -- they have (reasonably well paid) employees …
    • Yes, KDE does have a volunteer developer community but, there's also a couple of companies submitting code repairs to the community's code base …

    AFAICS, before we submit a Change Request to the Qt folks, we need to find out if the Qt API being used by the KDE folks really has an issue or not.
    If we cannot fault the Qt implementation then, we'll have to investigate the programming style that the KDE folks are using for the printer support routines.

    Does anyone have a suggestion for where we can begin an on-line petition to attempt to convince the KDE and Qt folks that, they should take more care with respect to the support of non-European paper sizes?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •