Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

Blog Entries

Default Re: KDE applications always print A4 paper size

Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    I'm the OP. I can tell you that attempting to print a PDF from Okular or even a TXT from Kate with "Letter" page size onto Letter paper in the printer results in my printer (Canon MF4370) printing one distorted page with print spilling off the edge then throwing an error (on the printer LCD) asking for A4 paper to be loaded.
    Thanks for clarifying your page sizes before. That is a problem, (and I'm surprised suitable scaling isn't applied before printing). FWIW, I note others have also reported this regression. For example...
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1048...r-ubuntu-18-04
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

Solutions? I print every day, so this is a giant PITA. Was not a problem in 42.3. Should I erase-and-reinstall 42.3 or is this going to be fixed in 15?

Update: If I change the page margins to 10mm on all sides (Print ... Properties ... Page), the problem does not occur.

Unfortunately, I have not yet discovered a way for Okular to remember the settings. It always returns to the 5mm L/R & 6mm T/B defaults.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    FWIW, I note others have also reported this regression. For example...
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1048...r-ubuntu-18-04
    And, digging through the Ubuntu Bug Report, there's this Qt Bug Report which was submitted 5 days ago: <https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-69562>.

An explanation:
    The KDE folks use a Qt interface which relieves them of a lot of the low level programming effort but, unfortunately, it means that KDE applications rely heavily on the Qt code being able to support hardware configurations properly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    And, digging through the Ubuntu Bug Report, there's this Qt Bug Report which was submitted 5 days ago: <https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-69562>.
    That references Qt version 4.8.7...we're using 5.9.5 by default (for Leap 15.0). There have been a few similar bug reports describing this behaviour (over a span of several years), impacting KDE since version 4.X. I'm disappointed to still be experiencing the same lack of persistence today. IIRC, there have been suggestions that each KDE application should be responsible for it's own print settings (history).
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 26-Jul-2018 at 02:20.

Can someone explain to me how, in the 21st Century, that supposedly the "... most usable Linux distribution and stabilized operating system ..." can release with BASIC PRINTING NOT WORKING??

Printers in most case depend on proprietary software. Ask why the manufactures still ship faulty drivers for Linux

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Printers in most case depend on proprietary software. Ask why the manufactures still ship faulty drivers for Linux
    This is not a printer driver issue, it's about printing behaviour with KDE applications.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 26-Jul-2018 at 11:53. Reason: Correction

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    Can someone explain to me how, in the 21st Century, that supposedly the "... most usable Linux distribution and stabilized operating system ..." can release with BASIC PRINTING NOT WORKING??
    Please understand that this isn't a distribution-specific issue, but really needs to be resolved upstream with the KDE devs. It would be interesting to note if TW KDE users are similarly impacted.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    ... really needs to be resolved upstream with the KDE devs.
    Sounds like a fine time to switch to Gnome ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast