How to disable menu in titlebar

Hi all! Some time ago I enabled the “menu in titlebar” functionality of KDE.
Now after some time I find it doesn’t suit me, so I’d like to disable it. However, I don’t find how to do it!

I have read, in various forums, that I have to go into System Settings => Application Style => Widget Style => Fine Tuning, and I should find there the option to disable it.
I saw some screenshots too, so I know the option should be there, but I do not have it!! :open_mouth:

Here is the screenshot of my System Settings:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7931334@N07/43476277742/in/dateposted-public/

Can someone help me understand what I’m doing wrong?
Thank you in advance!
Cris

System Settings => Application Style => Window Decorations
Buttons
Then drag and drop.

Hi eng-int!

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately I have already tried that with no success: I can remove the the button from the title bar, but the standard menu does not re-appear.
Or am I doing something wrong?

Cris

I found a confirmation of my problem in this forum post.
The accepted answer is somewhat in line with your reply eng-int!
However, they talk about setting up the menu-in-titlebar, not about removing it.
What is happening here is that if I remove the button I get windows with no menu at all!
Should I restart plasmashell after removing the button?

Thank you in advance
Cris

I am not sure that I understand you at all.
I thought that you wanted to know “How to disable menu in titlebar”. Do you mean that you want a non-functional menu icon/button in the title bar?

Perhaps you are referring to the applications’ settings? In many, but not all, applications the <ctrl+m> keys will show-hide a text-menu toolbar (The one that normally starts (leftmost) with “File” and ends with “Help”). If the Main toolbar is enabled, by default the rightmost icon selects a drop-down main menu. This icon is displayed only when the text menu toolbar is hidden.

Hi eng-int,
you’re right: maybe the title of my post was a bit misleading.

When you enable the menu button in the titlebar, the traditional menu toolbar gets removed. So the only way to access the menu is using the button in the titlebar.
Now I do want to remove the menu button from the titlebar, but I also obviously want to restore the traditional menu toolbar, otherwise I wouldn’t have any means of accessing the menu.

I would have expected that, by removing the menu button in the titlebar, KDE would have automatically restored the traditional menu toolbar, but that is not happening.
The menu toolbar is gone, not only hidden. No amount of <ctrl+m> will show it, I have already tried several times.
I do not know how to restore the traditional menu toolbar, as I do not find any setting related to that.

I hope my problem is more clear now.

Thank you for your help
Cris

What happens if you click the “Defaults” button on that page?

(Yes, it may set more than you want back to the defaults, but perhaps it is easier to fix from there).

Unfortunately, nothing :frowning:

Thank you for your reply BTW
Cris

This is my understanding. Hopefully if I am wrong someone will correct me.

You are conflating two unrelated (except by the name “Menu”) matters. You should not expect one to affect the other.

1. The title-bar button is part of the Plasma5 WIMP desktop and controlled by the theme, icon library and window decoration selected in System Settings
    . 1. The text menu toolbar is part of the application. Some applications (e.g. KCalc
    and System Settings) do not have this toolbar, while many others (e.g. Dolphin, Kate and Firefox) do. KDE applications with a menu toolbar generally show-hide the toolbar with a <ctrl+m> toggle. Others (e.g. Firefox may require a a “right-click” on a toolbar – this is often application theme dependent…

Here is an example of with and without the menu toolbar, both with and without the title-bar button (it is the blue filing cabinet icon from the Oxygen icon set):
http://susepaste.org/34959144
http://susepaste.org/51909686
http://susepaste.org/67747752
http://susepaste.org/67326468

Hi Cris, as nricket suggested the best bet is to restore defaults, check everything works and then delete the buttoms you dont want, i have disconfigured these things many times trying to understand what every settings of the miriad plasma has now do and restoring defaults always get me out of trouble. i personally dont like the menu buttom that eng-int shows i always delete it, but you should see it when restore to defaults, if not you have touched or installed something else may be a library or plasmoid, addons from kde store etc. do a check list what you have done before you noticed the problem, may be trying to configure a not working global menu technical preview addon?

Hi eng-int!

Unfortunately you are completely missing the point.
After seeing your screenshots, I now understand why you weren’t understanding my problem.
Please, take a look at the forum thread I wrote about earlier (here it is) so that you can understand what my problem is and what I’m talking about.

Thank you BTW for trying to help.
Cris

Hi Miguel!

Thank you Miguel! I’ll try again tomorrow, as the problem is on the laptop I use at work.

Cris

Replying to myself, so that others can find the solution if they have the same problem.

So: KDE does NOT restore the menubar of the application if you remove the title-bar button (this is different from how it was previously, when the setting was in Application Style -> Widget Style -> Fine Tuning, see here). This is IMHO a bug and I am thinking about reporting it upstream.
OTOH, it probably happens only to those who - like me - enabled the feature when it was available in Application Style -> Widget Style -> Fine Tuning, which probably means very few users.

The solution is to remove the button from the titlebar by going to Application Style -> Windows Decorations -> Buttons and dragging the button from the titlebar to the center of the window.
Then close and restart every KDE application that had a standard menu bar (e.g. Kate) and try to re-enable the menu using the CTRL-M keyboard shortcut.

This may work differently in each application, e.g.: with Kate I had to enter CTRL-M twice because the first time Kate told me it hid the menubar (which BTW was already hidden) and the second time it showed the menubar. Notepadqq instead showed the menubar at the first CTRL-M.

It may be (I don’t know because I did not try) that if you completely restart your session (or reboot) KDE will restore all the menubars.

Hope this helps.
Cris