Thread: Question about removal of thing installed with Desktop Environments.

U.S Midwest just West of the Mississippi River

Default Question about removal of thing installed with Desktop Environments.

I installed a few DE's on that Toshiba hybrid graphic laptop because bumblebee would not work with it, and I with the help of several experienced users here got a couple that do work well.
    I kept Xfce and Cinnamon(for now),and will look at Enlightenment(because it is touted as fast).

My question is about getting rid of the 'dross' left over after I uninstalled the ones I did not want via YaST.

Is there and easier way than going through each DE to find out what it installs, and removing them manually?

TIA
    HP Compaq desktop Leap15.1 Win10, Win7
    Toshiba laptops Leap15.1 & Win10, HP AiO Win10.
    I can now print with openSuSe Leap! Can Scan now, could be better!!
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Default Re: Question about removal of thing installed with Desktop Environments.

Best to just leave them you can get into trouble because of dependencies.. They really don't take up much space and they don't run unless you run them.

Default Re: Question about removal of thing installed with Desktop Environments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_L View Post
    I installed a few DE's on that Toshiba hybrid graphic laptop because bumblebee would not work with it, and I with the help of several experienced users here got a couple that do work well.
    I kept Xfce and Cinnamon(for now),and will look at Enlightenment(because it is touted as fast).

My question is about getting rid of the 'dross' left over after I uninstalled the ones I did not want via YaST.

Is there and easier way than going through each DE to find out what it installs, and removing them manually?

TIA
    I actually just leave them installed. The various packages are mostly usable across any desktop, so might come in handy at times. There may be other times when the other Desktops might come in handy.

They do not take up much space, and they do not interfere with your other Desktops, so there is really no need at all to remove them.

Personally, I like some of the programs from some of the other desktops, so while I use Xfce, I have a very wide and extensive range of programs to choose from.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

I can't talk about a whole Desktop Environment but when I remove unwanted packages (which I've installed) I use the --clean-deps (or -u) switch with zypper rm
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...c.zypper.clean
    note there is an error in the documentation above as the switch needs to come before the package name not after
    again the simplest safest thing to do is leave the packages alone

For what definition of "much" do such as KDE and Gnome not take up much?

On a minimal system with only IceWM, I did
    Code:
    zypper -v in patterns-gnome*
    and zypper announced 331.3 MiB would be used by 314 new packages. Same thing with patterns-kde* announced 629.4 MiB would be used by 319 new packages. No matter how much space is free on /, I do not consider those sizes or package counts to be "not much".

Don't forget, you get to wait on updates processes and consume bandwith for installed software whether you use it or not.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&