Thread: Getting started as SUSE Studio User

Default Getting started as SUSE Studio User

Hi,

up to now I was using SUSE Studio to develop a tailored SLES for a customer. As the customer wants an update and SUSE Studio is deprecated, I am trying to get familiar with Open Build Service but I have a lot of trouble.

First I tried to migrate my appliance from SUSE Studio (https://openbuildservice.org/2017/05/31/studio-import/) but the export directory does not contain a file "source.kiwi.txz".

As I was stuck there, I tried to use a template (JeOS for SLE 12 SP3) and adapt it to my needs. But I couldn't figure out how to get to the kiwi editor as described in the Best Practice Manual (https://openbuildservice.org/files/m...-practices.pdf). Next to "Delete Package" I can only see "View Image".

Now I really feel nervous about carrying out this project for our customer. I don't see how I can finish in time while learning to get along with Open Build Service. Is there any "How to" for those coming from SUSE Studio? Or something similar to SUSE Studio which is easier to handle?

Thanks for your help

Default Re: Getting started as SUSE Studio User

Quote Originally Posted by sylviaK View Post
    up to now I was using SUSE Studio to develop a tailored SLES for a customer. As the customer wants an update and SUSE Studio is deprecated, I am trying to get familiar with Open Build Service but I have a lot of trouble.

First I tried to migrate my appliance from SUSE Studio (https://openbuildservice.org/2017/05/31/studio-import/) but the export directory does not contain a file "source.kiwi.txz".
    If you have exported the kiwi image from Studio, it should contain the source.kiwi.txz.
    At least in my case it did
    As I was stuck there, I tried to use a template (JeOS for SLE 12 SP3) and adapt it to my needs. But I couldn't figure out how to get to the kiwi editor as described in the Best Practice Manual (https://openbuildservice.org/files/m...-practices.pdf). Next to "Delete Package" I can only see "View Image".
    Cant comment on that one, as I did not try the Kiwi editor. I guess this is a formatting help for the config,xml file, which you can edit manually as well
    Now I really feel nervous about carrying out this project for our customer. I don't see how I can finish in time while learning to get along with Open Build Service. Is there any "How to" for those coming from SUSE Studio? Or something similar to SUSE Studio which is easier to handle?
    I think we all would love to see the successor of Studio....but I guess there is low hope.
    OBS build for images is quite some effort, so really need a quiet moment to dive into this (which is what stops me from restarting my image-projects...)

It is a shame, as suse studio was an excellent concept, combined with obs, for how to go from idea and code to production and deployment, especially in an enterprise setting.

Long ago we had used suse studio to produce an install image for a standardized desktop setup for our tribal government.

I am not sure what the purely obs way of achieving the same kind of end result is either.

Thank you for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by DocB View Post
    If you have exported the kiwi image from Studio, it should contain the source.kiwi.txz.
    At least in my case it did
    In my case the folder only contains a "source" folder, "create_appliance" script and "README" file. Could there be a difference because we have been using SUSE Studio Onsite?

If the KIWI Editor contains the same as the config.xml, this shouldn't be a problem.

Still a long way to go...

Blog Entries

Thank you for your replies.

In my case the folder only contains a "source" folder, "create_appliance" script and "README" file. Could there be a difference because we have been using SUSE Studio Onsite?

If the KIWI Editor contains the same as the config.xml, this shouldn't be a problem.

Still a long way to go...
    Hi
    Since you have SUSE Studio Onsite ( a supported product), I would suggest heading over to https://forums.suse.com/forumdisplay...Studio-Express for your issues.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Hi malcolmlewis,

I wasn't sure if this sub-forum is still alive as the last post is from december 2017.

Blog Entries

Hi malcolmlewis,

I wasn't sure if this sub-forum is still alive as the last post is from december 2017.
    Hi
    It is if someone posts Plus I can take up an issue with my SUSE contacts when posted over there if no replies
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Thank you, I just started this thread: https://forums.suse.com/showthread.p...Build-Service)