Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't boot without commenting drive in /etc/fstab/

Default Re: Can't boot without commenting drive in /etc/fstab/

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    Try running top in an Xterm, then plug in the USB drive.
    There is no USB drive apparently (see post #4). The USB error mentioned in the linked photo seems unrelated to the issue at hand.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    The ext4 filesystem on /dev/sda7 doesn't seem to be in good shape ("can't read superblock on /dev/sda7").
    That is why I asked him:
    • to mount it so we can see an real error message instead of what some GUI program made of it (and i could not read the smallprint);
    • asked him how he "transferred", or maybe destroyed.
    Henk van Velden

observations,

on this laptop the following works,

output of cmd,

Code:
    tosh-sm60<2018Jul17@16:51><~/Updates/15.0/inxi>... lsblk
    NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda      8:0    0   93G  0 disk 
    ├─sda1   8:1    0    2G  0 part [SWAP]
    ├─sda2   8:2    0   30G  0 part /
    └─sda3   8:3    0   61G  0 part /home
    sr0     11:0    1 1024M  0 rom  
    tosh-sm60<2018Jul17@16:53><~/Updates/15.0/inxi>...
    so fstab changed as follows, original entries #'ed,

Code:
    /dev/sda2        /      ext4  acl,user_xattr  1  1
    /dev/sda3        /home  xfs   defaults        1  2
    /dev/sda1        swap   swap  defaults        0  0

# /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-1-part2  /      ext4  acl,user_xattr  1  1
    # UUID=e7fcbd31-a552-4bc1-85bb-3cc1a0353c45       /home  xfs   defaults        1  2
    # UUID=4e86c8ff-4a58-4234-a70f-acc6412c4d54       swap   swap  defaults        0  0
    if uuid or path parameters are to be used try,

Code:
    tosh-sm60<2018Jul17@17:01></etc>... ls /dev/disk/by-path/
    pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-1  pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-1-part1  pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-1-part2  pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-1-part3  pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-2
    tosh-sm60<2018Jul17@17:02></etc>... ls /dev/disk/by-uuid/
    0d694a37-9245-4ccd-9314-90e948e79657  4e86c8ff-4a58-4234-a70f-acc6412c4d54  e7fcbd31-a552-4bc1-85bb-3cc1a0353c45
    tosh-sm60<2018Jul17@17:02></etc>...
    then make the appropriate changes in the fstab file

ps

if more info is required use the -l parameter, eg,

tosh-sm60<2018Jul17@17:19><~/Downloads>... ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jul 17 16:43 0d694a37-9245-4ccd-9314-90e948e79657 -> ../../sda2
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jul 17 16:43 4e86c8ff-4a58-4234-a70f-acc6412c4d54 -> ../../sda1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jul 17 16:43 e7fcbd31-a552-4bc1-85bb-3cc1a0353c45 -> ../../sda3
    tosh-sm60<2018Jul17@17:20><~/Downloads>...

Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    observations,

on this laptop the following works,

output of cmd,

Code:
    tosh-sm60<2018Jul17@16:51><~/Updates/15.0/inxi>... lsblk
    NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda      8:0    0   93G  0 disk 
    ├─sda1   8:1    0    2G  0 part [SWAP]
    ├─sda2   8:2    0   30G  0 part /
    └─sda3   8:3    0   61G  0 part /home
    sr0     11:0    1 1024M  0 rom  
    tosh-sm60<2018Jul17@16:53><~/Updates/15.0/inxi>...
    so fstab changed as follows, original entries #'ed,

Code:
    /dev/sda2        /      ext4  acl,user_xattr  1  1
    /dev/sda3        /home  xfs   defaults        1  2
    /dev/sda1        swap   swap  defaults        0  0

# /dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-1-part2  /      ext4  acl,user_xattr  1  1
    # UUID=e7fcbd31-a552-4bc1-85bb-3cc1a0353c45       /home  xfs   defaults        1  2
    # UUID=4e86c8ff-4a58-4234-a70f-acc6412c4d54       swap   swap  defaults        0  0
    if uuid or path parameters are to be used try,

Code:
    tosh-sm60<2018Jul17@17:01></etc>... ls /dev/disk/by-path/
    pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-1  pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-1-part1  pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-1-part2  pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-1-part3  pci-0000:00:1f.2-ata-2
    tosh-sm60<2018Jul17@17:02></etc>... ls /dev/disk/by-uuid/
    0d694a37-9245-4ccd-9314-90e948e79657  4e86c8ff-4a58-4234-a70f-acc6412c4d54  e7fcbd31-a552-4bc1-85bb-3cc1a0353c45
    tosh-sm60<2018Jul17@17:02></etc>...
    then make the appropriate changes in the fstab file
    Please re-read the thread.

We are at the point were we know which fstab entry is failing. We know which UUID is mentioned there. We know to which partition this points to. I do not see any need to find that out again along another path. The result will be the same. And basically there is nothing wrong with that fstab entry, thus why changing it?

The problem is that the file system on that partition (/dev/sd7) will not mount. It is supposedly an ext4 file system, but the superblock is damaged.

We try to confirm this with a straight mount command (thus avoiding all layers that a GUI adds).

And, working already at the next step, we try to find out what this "transferring a sizable video file (about 11GB) from /home (first partition) to /Media (second partition)" means. How was it done? That is interesting because it seems to be the action that initiated the problem.
    Henk van Velden

@Quads
    PLEASE when you use code tags, include the command as well as the output. It is very difficult to understand otherwise. Especially so when follow the label “Fstab” (which is a text file and has no output) with what might be the output of “sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda”.

We only have the contents of an hand-edited text file to suggest that /dev/sda7 is formatted as ext4. Try this variation on Henk's suggestion please:
    Make sure that any lines referencing “/dev/sda7” or “UUID=36e0c062-6418-4472-a8a6-0ca7ed743f1d” are commented out, then
    Code:
     #  mount /dev/sda7 /mnt

#  df -hT |grep mnt

# umount /mnt
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Thus indeed that UUID refers to /dev/sda7.

Now we have to find out why you have problems mounting it.

Try
    Code:
    mount -t ext4 /dev/sda7 /mnt
    and show that here.

In the mean time you could try to explain a bit better about your first post, because (I am sorry to say) in contains a lot of not understandable and unexplained items.
    E.g. you say "I transferred a sizable video file (about 11GB) from /home (first partition) to /Media (second partition)..." Now, apart from your misnomers about "first" and "second" partition, how did you transfer?
    Please remember that using words that have only a general meaning do not inform others about the ways you exactly did things.
    Code:
    $ sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sda7 /mnt
    $ mount: /mnt: can't read superblock on /dev/sda7.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    The ext4 filesystem on /dev/sda7 doesn't seem to be in good shape ("can't read superblock on /dev/sda7").
    Try running the following as superuser (root) to see what is going on (/dev/sda7 should be unmounted for meaningful results):
    Code:
    e2fsck -f -n /dev/sda7
    Code:
    $ sudo e2fsck -f -n /dev/sda7
    Warning: skipping journal recovery because doing a read-only filesystem check.
    Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks, and sizes
    Pass 2: Checking directory structure
    Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
    Pass 4: Checking reference counts
    Pass 5: Checking group summary information
    Free blocks count wrong (6473116, counted=3606789).
    Fix? no

Free inodes count wrong (5228004, counted=5227995).
    Fix? no

/dev/sda7: 14876/5242880 files (2.4% non-contiguous), 14473316/20946432 blocks
    Is this output helpful?

That is why I asked him:
    • to mount it so we can see an real error message instead of what some GUI program made of it (and i could not read the smallprint);
    • asked him how he "transferred", or maybe destroyed.
    Transfer was made from Downloads folder in my home directory, to the Media directory on /dev/sda7 (if that clears it up) and was made via move command in Dolphin (Ctrl+X > Ctrl+V)
    Quote Originally Posted by eng-int View Post
    @Quads
    PLEASE when you use code tags, include the command as well as the output. It is very difficult to understand otherwise. Especially so when follow the label “Fstab” (which is a text file and has no output) with what might be the output of “sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda”.

We only have the contents of an hand-edited text file to suggest that /dev/sda7 is formatted as ext4. Try this variation on Henk's suggestion please:
    Make sure that any lines referencing “/dev/sda7” or “UUID=36e0c062-6418-4472-a8a6-0ca7ed743f1d” are commented out, then
    Code:
     #  mount /dev/sda7 /mnt

#  df -hT |grep mnt

# umount /mnt
    If you mean commented out in /etc/fstab they already are.

Code:

# mount /dev/sda7 /mnt
    Gives same error as above, can't read superblock.
    Code:
    # df -hT |grep mnt
    Gives no output.
    Code:
    # umount /mnt
    umount: /mnt: not mounted.
    I know I made a mess of explaining things, and I should've saved the original error when it showed up. I'll try again with /dev/sda7 not commented in /etc/fstab to see ifI can reproduce the original error, not the USB one. Thanks for your patience.

Follow up, on boot I get:

Code:
    Give root password for maintenance
    (or press Control-D to continue):
    Giving password gives me root shell, whereas pressing Control-D outputs:
    Code:
    [    63.347070] JBD2: Invalid checksum recovering block 8 in log
    [    63.350127] JBD2: Invalid checksum recovering block 8 in log
    [    63.593076] EXT4-fs (sda7): error loading journal
    You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type journalctl -xb " to view system logs , "systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or ^D to boot into default mode.
    Give root password for maintenance
    (or press Control-D to continue:
    I'll try to get system logs, I'll edit them into this post.

There is NO need to boot with it un-commented. It can not be mounted. Not as ext4 and also not when we let the mount comment decide if it is another file system type (as suggested by eng-int).

And again I want to stress that saying
    Gives same error as above, can't read superblock.
    is NOT what people here like to see. They like to see the copy/paste between CODE tags of the complete thing: the line with the prompt and the command, the lines that follow, up to and including the line with the next prompt. Then we can see and you can refrain from typing what we see. Even the case "Gives no output" is covered then because we will see only the two lines! It is so easy to do IMHO. Look at this example:
    Code:
    henk@boven:~> df -hT |grep mnt
    henk@boven:~>
    That is all, no explanation needed.

Conclusion: there is no valid file system there. At least not one that can automagicaly detected by the mount command, and certainly no ext4.

Now the e2fsck shows some problems. Maybe eng-int has some more experience here, but we could start with finding the alternative superblocks. But for that we need to know the blocksize which with the file system was created. I am a bit lost here.

And about your description:
    Transfer was made from Downloads folder in my home directory, to the Media directory on /dev/sda7 (if that clears it up) and was made via move command in Dolphin (Ctrl+X > Ctrl+V)
    I never use things like Ctrl+. so again I am a bit lost here (When using Dolphin to move files, I either have a slpit Dolphin window or two Dolphin windows and drag the file from one place to the other).
    But I do understand the starting point (your ~/Downloads/ directory), but I am uncertain about the place where it went. Was that /run/media/user/Media/.

I ask this again and again because one possibility that came to my mind is that you did not copy to a place in the file system, but to the device. That would of course destroy the file system, but it would also mean that the file itself can still be retrieved.
    Henk van Velden

There is NO need to boot with it un-commented. It can not be mounted. Not as ext4 and also not when we let the mount comment decide if it is another file system type (as suggested by eng-int).

And again I want to stress that saying

is NOT what people here like to see. They like to see the copy/paste between CODE tags of the complete thing: the line with the prompt and the command, the lines that follow, up to and including the line with the next prompt. Then we can see and you can refrain from typing what we see. Even the case "Gives no output" is covered then because we will see only the two lines! It is so easy to do IMHO. Look at this example:
    Code:
    henk@boven:~> df -hT |grep mnt
    henk@boven:~>
    That is all, no explanation needed.
    I apologize, it's because I am not so experienced with technical issues that I assume it's easier to present them like this to others, although it's obvious you guys would have no problem handling technical output. I'll do it right from now on.

Conclusion: there is no valid file system there. At least not one that can automagicaly detected by the mount command, and certainly no ext4.

Now the e2fsck shows some problems. Maybe eng-int has some more experience here, but we could start with finding the alternative superblocks. But for that we need to know the blocksize which with the file system was created. I am a bit lost here.

And about your description:

I never use things like Ctrl+. so again I am a bit lost here (When using Dolphin to move files, I either have a slpit Dolphin window or two Dolphin windows and drag the file from one place to the other).
    But I do understand the starting point (your ~/Downloads/ directory), but I am uncertain about the place where it went. Was that /run/media/user/Media/.

I ask this again and again because one possibility that came to my mind is that you did not copy to a place in the file system, but to the device. That would of course destroy the file system, but it would also mean that the file itself can still be retrieved.
    That's exactly where it went (I hope), /run/media/user/Media/ is where I store all of my media files (images, music, videos) so that they are unaffected by reinstalls or distro hopping. The file in question was a movie, to my memory I just Cut and Pasted into /run/media/user/Media. It finished without apparent problems. I also have the /Media directory bookmarked in Dolphin and that would make sending it to the device harder although mistakes could happen.

Do I have any options for more troubleshooting on the partition considering it cannot be mounted? (By this I mean to find out if I had actually sent it were I should've)

For what it's worth, I have full system logs from:
    Code:
    # journalctl -xb
    But they are 46 pages long (when opened in Kate), so I'll have to post them on pastebin if you think they would be useful.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast