Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bumblebee for nvidia - SDB article

U.S Midwest just West of the Mississippi River

Default bumblebee for nvidia - SDB article

In the SDB for installing bumblebee, there is a section specific for Leap 15 near the bottom.
    https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee

There a lot of symlinks to be added to two different added libraries.
    Can those be done as a 'gang' copy and paste, or need to be individual?

I want to make sure I have enough time to do it before the hybrid intel/nvidia cause the power down/reboot to not work again.

PS> if I could get to it easily, I would remove the nvidia card from my laptop, but not easy, and no BIOS disable.
    HP Compaq desktop Leap15.1 Win10, Win7
    Toshiba laptops Leap15.1 & Win10, HP AiO Win10.
    I can now print with openSuSe Leap! Can Scan now, could be better!!
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Blog Entries

Default Re: bumblebee for nvidia - SDB article

On my previous laptop, I turned the nvidia card off by default. You need to install 'bbswitch' to do so. For the rendering in KDE ( Systemsettings - Display and Monitor - Compositor ) I switched it to openGL2, turned off the desktop effects and I was completely satisfied. Also, like suggested, you could use 'nomodeset' as a kernel parameter ( YaST - Bootloader - Kernelparameters - add ' nomodeset' after 'showopts' ).
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    On my previous laptop, I turned the nvidia card off by default. You need to install 'bbswitch' to do so. For the rendering in KDE ( Systemsettings - Display and Monitor - Compositor ) I switched it to openGL2, turned off the desktop effects and I was completely satisfied. Also, like suggested, you could use 'nomodeset' as a kernel parameter ( YaST - Bootloader - Kernelparameters - add ' nomodeset' after 'showopts' ).
    Just 'bbswitch' and not have to put in bumblebee first(or at all)?

I tried the 'nomodeset' for the install that I can't get to boot in the GRUB2 edit mode and that did no good. (it boots to a blank screen with a cursor from which I can get to terminal mode.

Can I open YaST from the format 3 full text screen and have a chance of adding 'nomodeset' and getting the installed version to work?

Thanks for the response.
    I can backup my iPod and iPad with Windows, can't with Linux.(Will get there someday!)

Blog Entries

]Can I open YaST from the format 3 full text screen and have a chance of adding 'nomodeset' and getting the installed version to work?
    Yes, you can use the ncurses YaST user interface to modify the boot parameters, and they will take effect at next boot. This will permanent, so you'll need to modify again if you later need to remove it.

BTW, I note that the release-notes mention using

Code:
    nouveau.modeset=0
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Yes, you can use the ncurses YaST user interface to modify the boot parameters, and they will take effect at next boot. This will permanent, so you'll need to modify again if you later need to remove it.

BTW, I note that the release-notes mention using

Code:
    nouveau.modeset=0
    I've done everything with the full screen terminal I know how to do, and nothing has worked so far to bring back my installed version.
    Thanks, nothing so far has been able to get me to the installed version.
    Looks like another install tomorrow, and hopefully I can get things in and working before the hybrid graphics decides to mess it up again.

Thanks Knurpht and deano_ferrari again for your help.

<gotta remember ncurses>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_L View Post
    Looks like another install tomorrow, and hopefully I can get things in and working before the hybrid graphics decides to mess it up again.

Thanks Knurpht and deano_ferrari again for your help.

<gotta remember ncurses>
    I doubt that reinstalling represents the way forward here, but do read the release notes regarding hybrid graphics
    https://doc.opensuse.org/release-not....nvidia-hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    I doubt that reinstalling represents the way forward here, but do read the release notes regarding hybrid graphics
    https://doc.opensuse.org/release-not....nvidia-hybrid
    I read about the hybrid graphics in the release notes(and in other openSuse docs) and went through the rest of the notes as well.

I don’t know what is the way forward. But so far nothing gets me farther than that blank screen with a cursor, and I have let it set for 20 to 30 minutes to see if it would do anything. Nope, doesn’t.

<are you the ‘ferrari’ in another Linux/Unix forum?>

Blog Entries

I read about the hybrid graphics in the release notes(and in other openSuse docs) and went through the rest of the notes as well.

I don’t know what is the way forward. But so far nothing gets me farther than that blank screen with a cursor, and I have let it set for 20 to 30 minutes to see if it would do anything. Nope, doesn’t.

[/QYOTE]<are you the ‘ferrari’ in another Linux/Unix forum?>
    Probably (LinuxQuestions.org)

Blog Entries

Ok, good.

Waiting won't help. It's a graphics issue that needs to be sorted (although it's not clear to me why 'nomodeset' didn't help here). Not being over your shoulder adds to understanding how far you got and/or what wasn't working for you.

Anyway, you mentioned...
    I tried the 'nomodeset' for the install that I can't get to boot in the GRUB2 edit mode and that did no good. (it boots to a blank screen with a cursor from which I can get to terminal mode.
    Were you not able to boot to runlevel 3 by editing the GRUB2 boot parameters on the fly, and entering '3' at the end of the linux boot stanza? Here's a graphical guide on how to do that with GRUB2 (it references Fedora, but applicable to openSUSE as well)....
    https://lintut.com/grub2-runlevel-3-...evel-on-grub2/

Assuming you have network connectivity at runlevel 3 (eg wired ethernet), then you should be able to proceed by following the bumblebee guide?

Blog Entries

Another way to proceed might be to get to a VT as quickly as possible, login as root and do
    Code:
    init 3
    You'll need to log back in again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast