Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE Wallet

Default KDE Wallet

I figured out that I need KDE Wallet to get the WiFi to connect on my laptop. Unfortunately, in SeaMonkey I have to enter the password for scottsbasslessons.com every time, the "remember me" check box is checked, but it doesn't work. Passwords are greyed-out in the SeaMonkey settings. I imagine the same thing will happen if I log in to this forum from the laptop. Is there a way to set up KDE Wallet to remember those passwords? I could just memorize the passwords, there's only those two that I use on a regular basis, but it would be nice to get KDE Wallet to work. I also have Firefox, but there's no add-on for KDE Wallet for my version. Add-ons tend to stop working when there's a browser update, so I would rather avoid using those.
    Desktop : Leap 15.0 | KDE Plasma | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Ext4
    Laptop: Leap 15.0 | KDE Plasma | Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3320M 2.6GHz | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 8 GB Memory | Ext4

Default Re: KDE Wallet

It sounds as if the “remember” passwords, forms data setting(s) in SeaMonkey are unset. Or that you have an incompatible plug-in installed.

I only use KWallet for KDE/Plasma5/Qt5 related components. I let Firefox manage its own passwords, form data etc.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

It is set. Also is set in Firefox, neither will "remember" the password.
    Desktop : Leap 15.0 | KDE Plasma | AMD Phenom II x6 1035T | 8 GB Memory | Integrated Radeon HD4250 | Ext4
    Laptop: Leap 15.0 | KDE Plasma | Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3320M 2.6GHz | Intel HD Graphics 4000 | 8 GB Memory | Ext4

Forgot to mention, I haven't installed any add-ons or anything to SeaMonkey or FireFox. If I enter the passwords myself every time, I'm likely to remember them eventually

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HighBloodSugar View Post
    I have to enter the password for scottsbasslessons.com every time,
    Some sites do that. They deliberately do their password checking in a way that prevents the browser from saving the password.

the "remember me" check box is checked, but it doesn't work.
    That box usually means that they will set a cookie that remembers your name (but perhaps not the password). If you set your browser to delete cookies on closing the browser, then it won't do anything.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

I suspect SeaMonkey needs Gnome keyring. Different programs use different password managers.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Some sites do that. They deliberately do their password checking in a way that prevents the browser from saving the password.

That box usually means that they will set a cookie that remembers your name (but perhaps not the password). If you set your browser to delete cookies on closing the browser, then it won't do anything.
    It's not a problem on my desktop PC, works fine. But on the laptop, no dice. It also happens with openSuse forum. The desktop is using wicked, the laptop is using network manager, if that makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    I suspect SeaMonkey needs Gnome keyring. Different programs use different password managers.
    How is that set up? This is all new to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HighBloodSugar View Post
    The desktop is using wicked, the laptop is using network manager, if that makes a difference.
    Now I'm wondering if I have misunderstood the thread.

Either "wicked" or "NetworkManager" is used to connect to the network. But "seamonkey" should just use the network connection you have. And "seamonkey" should not be involved in connecting to the basic network (ethernet or WiFi), though it does need there to be a connection (unless you are working offline).

I ran "seamonkey" under a new user account, so that it should have all of the defaults for a new user. And then, checking the settings, it was already configured to "Remember passwords". I did not try to actually login to any site.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Now I'm wondering if I have misunderstood the thread.

Either "wicked" or "NetworkManager" is used to connect to the network. But "seamonkey" should just use the network connection you have. And "seamonkey" should not be involved in connecting to the basic network (ethernet or WiFi), though it does need there to be a connection (unless you are working offline).

I ran "seamonkey" under a new user account, so that it should have all of the defaults for a new user. And then, checking the settings, it was already configured to "Remember passwords". I did not try to actually login to any site.
    It does work that way, I just wasn't sure if Network Manager was at fault somehow. I couldn't connect to WiFi without using KDE Wallet. Entering the password wouldn't "take", it would be missing when I re-checked. It will only stay set if I have KDE Wallet enabled. I've never needed it before, since I never used WiFi in the past. It's me that's confused, really. On my desktop PC, I don't use WiFi, so passwords are remembered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast