Thread: how to do nothing when I open laptop lid

Default how to do nothing when I open laptop lid

On my laptop with leap 42.3, DE=plasma 5.13.2, KDE frameworks 5.47.0, KDE applications 18.4.2, Kernel 4.4.138-59-default, when I open the lid the laptop resume from ram (becouse I sleeped it), I would like to do nothing leaving the laptop off, in energy saving module there is the only option "when laptop lid is closed", is it possible to do nothing when I open the laptop lid?

Default Re: how to do nothing when I open laptop lid

If you do not want instant resume, choose Shut-down, Hibernate or Lock-screen instead of Suspend as the lid close event.

If you want to Suspend the laptop with the lid open, get a small magnet to trigger the sensor.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Blog Entries

See if this helps...

Events which cause the system to resume from power states can be regulated in /proc/acpi/wakeup. Writing an entry from the Device column toggles the status from enabled to disabled, or vice-versa.
    For example, to disable waking from suspend (S3) on opening the lid, run:

Code:
    echo LID > /proc/acpi/wakeup

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/laptop#Modify_wake_events

If you need help making this persistent, let us know.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 11-Jul-2018 at 03:02.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by eng-int View Post
    If you do not want instant resume, choose Shut-down, Hibernate or Lock-screen instead of Suspend as the lid close event.

If you want to Suspend the laptop with the lid open, get a small magnet to trigger the sensor.
    manythanks eng, but I wanto to do nothing or suspend as the lid close event or suspend with lid open and then close the lid, and this is ok.
    I want to do nothing as the lid open event, and this I cannot find how to do.
    if I use a small magnet it trigger always closed lid, and this is not what i want.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pier_andreit View Post
    manythanks eng, but I wanto to do nothing or suspend as the lid close event or suspend with lid open and then close the lid, and this is ok.
    I want to do nothing as the lid open event, and this I cannot find how to do.
    if I use a small magnet it trigger always closed lid, and this is not what i want.
    You may have missed my previous reply.

@Pier
    I cannot conceive of any rationale for the behaviour you are describing. Presumably I just do not understand what you want to achieve.

@Deano
    If the open-lid event is disabled and the machine is in a suspended state, how is normal behaviour to be resumed without power-off and power-on?
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eng-int View Post

@Deano
    If the open-lid event is disabled and the machine is in a suspended state, how is normal behaviour to be resumed without power-off and power-on?
    By using another trigger to resume eg the power button.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    You may have missed my previous reply.
    maaaaanythanks, yes I missed probably answering to eng at the same time :-)
    it works, created
    Code:
    this file:
    /etc/tmpfiles.d/disable-lid-wakeup.conf
    with into this:
    w /proc/acpi/wakeup - - - - LID
    and now when I open the lid nothing happans :-) :-)

Code:
    eng-int 	 	 		 			 			@Pier
    I cannot conceive of any rationale for the behaviour you are describing.   Presumably I just do not understand what you want to achieve.
    it helps me in at least this two cases:
    I leave sometimes the laptop closed, my son open it and leave opened, so the laptop resume and it remains on for hours running out the battery,
    I usually put some paper sheet used to remember to do something between the lid and the keyboard, when I want to read this paper sheet, I have to open the lid, the laptop resume and I have to login and to suspend again,
    and yes, as deano said I use power button to resume, the same as when I suspend manually leaving the lid open.

I think I'll file a bug to add this option to power saving module :-)