Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to install with existing /home on a separate volume

Question How to install with existing /home on a separate volume

Scenario: SSD for OS with separate RAID HDD for /home. Erase & re-make all partitions on SSD. Keep existing /home

How to install OpenSuse with an existing /home on a separate volume? I am able to configure the partitions on the SSD as I want them. However, the installer then wants to create a list of Btrfs subvolumes - including one for /home. There does not seem to be a way to instruct the installer to not do this and use the existing /home parition on the other volume.

Default Re: How to install with existing /home on a separate volume

When at the partition proposal click on the "Expert Partitioner" then on "Start with existing partitions": at that point you will be able to select each partition you want to use, click on "Edit" and choose type of filesystem and mount point.
    When done, click on "Accept"
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    When at the partition proposal click on the "Expert Partitioner" then on "Start with existing partitions": at that point you will be able to select each partition you want to use, click on "Edit" and choose type of filesystem and mount point.
    When done, click on "Accept"
    Nope. The installer can't see the RAID.

Quote Originally Posted by SUSEtoad View Post
    Nope. The installer can't see the RAID.
    I really don't have experience with RAID but AFAIK Yast should see all available disks and partitions if not open a bug report it might not get fixed for 15.0 but it will for 15.1
    https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/
    you could try and use one of the live disks for install
    https://download.opensuse.org/distri...eap/15.0/live/

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    I really don't have experience with RAID but AFAIK Yast should see all available disks and partitions if not open a bug report it might not get fixed for 15.0 but it will for 15.1
    The YAST Partitioner can see the RAID when running 42.3. But the 15 and Tumbleweed installers cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    When at the partition proposal click on the "Expert Partitioner" then on "Start with existing partitions": at that point you will be able to select each partition
    or existing RAID device. RAID should be listed under Hard Disks right under unexpanded sdX device(s), ahead of Volume Management and BTRFS.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

The YAST Partitioner can see the RAID when running 42.3. But the 15 and Tumbleweed installers cannot.
    Looks like https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1094933 is your problem, which I would have expected to be fixed in TW by now. Anyway you should be able to do the install, letting it create /home the way it wants, and just not use it. After installation is complete and booted into you should be able to add the existing RAID to fstab.
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    After installation is complete and booted into you should be able to add the existing RAID to fstab.
    How do I delete the Btrfs "/home" subvolume that the installer creates after rebooting?

How do I delete the Btrfs "/home" subvolume that the installer creates after rebooting?
    I don't use BTRFS. I would expect deleting any content it contains should suffice, as it would on any other filesystem. The directory itself is needed for mounting the RAID, so can't be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda View Post
    I don't use BTRFS.
    Now I want to know why you don't use Btrfs when it's the default OpenSUSE filesystem type. Maybe I'm creating my own problem by accepting that as the default for the OS drive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast