systray updater won't close

Systray applet checks for updates on start. Cool. Sometimes it finds bunches.

Where once it had an action button, it now says run zypper dup in terminal. Fine.

Once update via zypper is complete, systray applet doesn’t know. It still shows updates need to be installed, and it can’t be closed without logout - or can it? And how?

Thanks,

GEF

That applet is not really very good for Tumbleweed, really, as the way to update Tumbleweed is really through a Distribution Upgrade:

zypper dup

In my case, I go in and uninstall all packagekit items (skip the one or two that want to uninstall something else), then taboo them all.

I find that tray updater to be just a nuisance in Tumbleweed.

I’ve always turned off the udpater applet.

However, I have now turned it on to see if the same problem occurs here. But I won’t be able to tell until there are new update.

Thanks, guys. It looks like you both use the same solution. I’ve always liked automatic update checks myself, especially because they go more smoothly if you don’t wait for them to pile up. I suppose I could kill the tray icon - should just need to remove it through tray configuration, no need to mark taboo, right? And then use YaST for auto updates? -GEF

I do have the packagekit stuff installed, simply disable the Software service in the systray’s settings. What I do see, is that after activating it, the systray starts behaving differently. In it’s settings I cannot access “Items”, once any of the items in the tray is activated, it won’t close. After disabling the service all is back to normal.

Just using tray configuration should be enough.

In any case, I checked this morning. The tray applet said there were two updates. I should note that this is “krypton” with extra repos. I think the updates were from the frameworks repo, but I didn’t check carefully.

So I then ran a “zypper dup” and updated the system.

And the tray applet still said that there were updates. I did not find any option to tell the tray updater to recheck.

So I tried an experiment. I went into tray configuration, and turned off the updater. I save that change. Then I went into tray configuration again, and turned on the updater (and saved). From the tray icon, I could see that the updater was checking. And, shortly after that, it reported that my system is up to date.

I’ll probably just turn that off permanently. But if you like the notices, then you can do the same – update (with “zypper dup”, disable the tray applet, then enable the tray applet so that you will get notices the next time.

Hi nrickert, nice to hear you reproduced the symptoms and I’m not hallucinating. I’ve marked the updater applet as always hidden, on the theory that even hidden it will still generate output through the notification applet. If a week goes by sans notifications, I’ll know it didn’t work. -GEF

No, certainly we knew you were not hallucinating … at least, about this. lol!

I, too, have seen that a couple of times. When I have seen it in the past, it reminded me that I had forgotten to remove packagekit when I installed.

Interesting idea. Let us know how that works out.

Success.

I got notified of 110 updates, so I know it’s time to run zypper dup. But then the notification box faded out and there’s no update icon glaring at me like the eye of Sauron. Sure, if I open the hidden icons and mouseover the updater, I see it still thinks I’m behind, but it no longer lives in a place that’ll trigger my obsessive-compulsive alter-ego, and of course it’ll reset at next reboot, which is at least daily for me. Updating once a day should be sufficient even for Tumbleweed, neh?

That sounds reasonable.

I may leave updater active, but I won’t make it always hidden.

I occasionally login to Gnome. And there the update is always hidden. I find out about it when I try a “zypper dup” and I get the message that zypper is blocked by package kit. With KDE, if I leave the updater visible, then I can tell when it has finished checking. I won’t need to do trial & error with zypper.

That the updater still thinks there are updates isn’t going to bother me. I usually reboot after a “zypper dup”, and that will reset the updater. That seemed to work out pretty well with today’s updates.

And yes, once per day should be fine. Actually, I update whenever I notice that a new snapshot is available. But that’s on Tumbleweed running in a KVM virtual machine. For Tumbleweed on a regular computer (such a my laptop), I’ll tend to only update once a week. And I don’t plan to activate the update applet on that system.

Probably good. In my case, I only upgrade Tumbleweed once a week, but then, I spend most of my time in 15.0, anyway.