systemd: suspend-then-hibernate

Hi guys,

Just writing to know if anyone managed to make the new suspend-then-hibernate sleep methodto work in openSUSE.

If you never heard about suspend-then-hibernate, have a look at the following PRs:

suspend-then-hibernate is very useful, specially for laptops that can’t reach S3 sleeping state like mine. Sleeping for a couple of hours and then hibernating provides a nice balance between convenience / wake-up speed and power consumption.
Is there a way to upgrade leap to the latest systemd? Has anyone managed to get suspend-then-hibernate working correctly? (People running Tumbleweed are welcome to comment as well. They will probably get the latest systemd faster anyway).

systemctl suspend-then-hibernate

Cheers

Searching for “suspend-then-hibernate” on this forum, I found only this single message from over a year ago: a question without any reply since then. Is energy-saving of so little interest to users of opensuse?

I would also like to use this energy-saving mechanism, which is called “systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service”, but I could not find it on my Leap 15.1 installation, whereas the other 3 systemd services of this kind (systemd-suspend.service, systemd-hibernate.service, systemd-hybrid-sleep.service) are present.

So, is there no systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service on Leap, not even the current 15.1?

You might submit a “Feature Request” to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org.
Looking up that component, last modification to it was Mar 2018 which IMO is likely long enough for it to have been merged into the main branch.

TSU

Thanks for your interest, tsu2. From your answer, I take it that the systemd-suspend-then-hibernate.service is not currently part of Leap 15.1.

It took me hours to even suspect that (im)probability. All upstream documentation I had found about the kernel sleep states and systemd, as well as from other distributions, referred to suspend-then-hibernate as an integral part of systemd power management.

An even better alternative might be systemd-hybrid-sleep.service, which I will try next, rather than wait for the suspend-then-hibernate feature to be implemented (or not).