Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Off network install

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Duncan BC
    Posts
    42

    Default Off network install

    I attempted to install leap 15 on my shop computer that never sees an internet connection and was greeted with "failed to download ..." popups, I hit skip and was greeted with a popup stating that if I skipped it could break the install.
    From the download website I find this message... "The DVD/USB Stick is typically recommended as it contains most of the packages available in the distribution and does not require a network connection during the installation." so why is it having difficulty?
    This is the first time I have ever had to have a connection for any OS I have installed.
    Am I suppose to ignore the warnings and carry on skipping or ...?
    Thank you kindly,

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Virginia Sector 13
    Posts
    15,704

    Default Re: Off network install

    WHat size is the ISO? maybe you got the net install version.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Duncan BC
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Off network install

    Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    WHat size is the ISO? maybe you got the net install version.
    3.6G, it's the right one.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Off network install

    Is there some place early in the install process where you can turn off updates, something you may have missed?

    I usually disconnect my ethernet cable from the machine and just install without any updates. I have done so with Leap 15.0 and TW recently, and had no problems.

    Is that PC connected to a local network, but not to the internet? Or, is it just standing alone, no networking at all?

    If the former, try unplugging the cable. If the latter, look again for a way to turn off updating while installing somewhere early in the process. It might even be worded in a way that is not instantly obvious, I do not know without firing it up, myself.

    If your problem persists, I will shut down and try firing up the installer to see if I can spot your difficulty.

    so, let me know.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,144
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Off network install

    During the install, there is a non-default option (IIRC a button) to "configure online repositories" which can cause the problem you describe

    Try installing again,
    First remove the partitions which were likely created by your failed install (various ways including fdisk, gparted live, etc)
    Then pop in your DVD or USB stick, whatever you're using for your install source.

    This time, pay close attention to your install options, which you accept and which you don't.
    Pay particular attention to anything you do that changes the default.

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Duncan BC
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Off network install

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Or, is it just standing alone, no networking at all?
    It is a stand alone.


    Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    During the install, there is a non-default option (IIRC a button) to "configure online repositories" which can cause the problem you describe

    Try installing again,
    First remove the partitions which were likely created by your failed install (various ways including fdisk, gparted live, etc)
    Then pop in your DVD or USB stick, whatever you're using for your install source.

    This time, pay close attention to your install options, which you accept and which you don't.
    Pay particular attention to anything you do that changes the default.

    TSU
    This time it installed, the only thing I did different was accept the Noveau drivers when the warning popped up.
    I should say it sort of installed, I have no recognition of USB ports. That's unusual.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,804
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Off network install

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpa54 View Post
    I attempted to install leap 15 on my shop computer that never sees an internet connection and was greeted with "failed to download ..." popups, I hit skip and was greeted with a popup stating that if I skipped it could break the install.
    From the download website I find this message... "The DVD/USB Stick is typically recommended as it contains most of the packages available in the distribution and does not require a network connection during the installation." so why is it having difficulty?
    This is the first time I have ever had to have a connection for any OS I have installed.
    Be prepared, you'll see that more and more. It simply avoids having to update after the install. Like Tsu2 says, look for the "online" repos, IIRC Leap 15 defaults to the OSS, Non-OSS and ditto Update repos. You should be able to uncheck those repos, which leaves only the DVD/USB. But, IMNSHO it's bad practice to not install the updates. Even on a computer that's normally not connected to the internet. A customer closes every week by connecting his shop computer ( has cashregister software running, custom built ) and updating the Leap install that's on it ( IIRC he's still on 42.3 ).
    Am I suppose to ignore the warnings and carry on skipping or ...?
    Thank you kindly,
    Without quoting your later post: could you show us output ( in a terminal window ) of
    Code:
    lsusb
    ?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Duncan BC
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Off network install

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Be prepared, you'll see that more and more. It simply avoids having to update after the install. Like Tsu2 says, look for the "online" repos, IIRC Leap 15 defaults to the OSS, Non-OSS and ditto Update repos. You should be able to uncheck those repos, which leaves only the DVD/USB. But, IMNSHO it's bad practice to not install the updates. Even on a computer that's normally not connected to the internet. A customer closes every week by connecting his shop computer ( has cashregister software running, custom built ) and updating the Leap install that's on it ( IIRC he's still on 42.3 ).


    Without quoting your later post: could you show us output ( in a terminal window ) of
    Code:
    lsusb
    ?
    Thanks for the reply, I tried to install again and it reverted back to attempting to download without any repository switches checked off and I am still unable to get my usb mouse functioning so I have given up for now and gone back to a clone image of 42.2.
    Perhaps I have a buggy iso, I don't know, it's just more trouble than it's worth right now.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Off network install

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    BBut, IMNSHO it's bad practice to not install the updates.
    I always do that after a successfull install, not during.

    For updating on a stand-alone with no network, I make an update repo on a thumb-drive.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,804
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Off network install

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    I always do that after a successfull install, not during.
    Bad practice too, old man. These days a lot of fixes are out there in the Update repos, to ensure even more your install is going to work.

    For updating on a stand-alone with no network, I make an update repo on a thumb-drive.
    Yup, that's an option.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •