Thread: How to disable display manager alltogether

Default How to disable display manager alltogether

Hello,

I recently installed tumbleweed. I don't really want to use gnome or KDE, so I am not interested in their respective display managers or lightdm, for that matter. Since I opted out of installing any desktop environment, xdm is running by default. How can I disable it? I know that the options regarding the display manger are in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager, but I don't know what to set DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER to in order to disable xdm. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: How to disable display manager alltogether

Code:
    ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target /etc/systemd/system/default.target
    Here is the link to the documentation section:
    https://doc.opensuse.org/documentati...t.systemd.boot
    I don’t have anything to hide, but I don’t have anything I want to show you either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bdurham View Post
    Hello,

I recently installed tumbleweed. I don't really want to use gnome or KDE, so I am not interested in their respective display managers or lightdm, for that matter. Since I opted out of installing any desktop environment, xdm is running by default. How can I disable it? I know that the options regarding the display manger are in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager, but I don't know what to set DISPLAYMANAGER_XSERVER to in order to disable xdm. How do I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Hi and welcome to the Forum
    I'm guessing you just want a console login (tty)?

If so, use systemctl to set multi-user (aka runlevel 3)
    Code:
    systemctl set-default multi-user.target
    For a GUI, set to graphical.target or to start X/Wayland then use isolate rather than set default to just switch.

To set other defaults use the command update-alternatives for the full list of options for login managers, DE's and the likes.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Thank you for your advice! That worked perfectly. I simply want to login to a console and use xinit myself. Once again thank you.