Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Missing at Application

  1. #1

    Question Missing at Application

    I wanted to schedule updating my system via zypper but the 'at' application was not installed. I used YAST to install 'at' and was able to schedule my update, but I am wondering why 'at' is not installed by default. Is there another method that should be used that I am not aware of?

    thanks
    -L

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,805
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Missing at Application

    Checking with Leap 15.0, I see that "at" is not installed. But I never missed it. I have only rarely used it in the past.

    I guess most folk don't use it.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,288

    Default Re: Missing at Application

    Like nrickert, I assume that it is splitting things in "often used" and "not so much used".

    Others complain about software installed that they never use. It is not easy to be a joy to all.

    I also assume that the idea is that those who use at (and thus have a considerable experience with the CLI, are able to find out in which package it is and to install that.

    I also assume that those who want to schedule their update, use cron.

    And lastly, a bit off-topic, but I would never want to schedule a systems update going "automatic". In the end it will come at the wrong moment one time. It may require a reboot, etc. And I think this is certainly the case with Tumblweed, which requires a zypper dup preferably when almost nothing is running (run level 1 ).
    Last edited by hcvv; 17-Jul-2018 at 05:20.
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,128
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Missing at Application

    On Tue 17 Jul 2018 11:36:03 AM CDT, LarryResch wrote:

    I wanted to schedule updating my system via zypper but the 'at'
    application was not installed. I used YAST to install 'at' and was able
    to schedule my update, but I am wondering why 'at' is not installed by
    default. Is there another method that should be used that I am not aware
    of?

    thanks
    -L


    Hi
    Systemd timers.... begone at and cron....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLES 15 | GNOME Shell 3.26.2 | 4.12.14-23-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,004
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Missing at Application

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    And I think this is certainly the case with Tumblweed, which requires a zypper dup preferably when almost nothing is running (run level 1 ).
    That thought is wrong. Tw does require 'zypper dup', yes, but it can be done on a fully running system. Having to use 'single user' mode, would also mean 'no network' .... Could you point out where this shows up in the docs?

    @OP: Like Henk, I wouldn't want the upgrades to take place unattended, but if required, use cron, or start using saltstack.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,147

    Default Re: Missing at Application

    N.B. There are no “updates” for Tumbleweed, only “dist-upgrades”.

    “at” is just a one-time use front-end for cron. I think that it got dropped because it is rarely used with the prevalence of windowing graphical desktops since the early 1980s. Cron enables repeat scheduling, and if the last action of the script is to remove the crontab entry you have “at” functionality without having to remember another command syntax.
    ___________
    @Henk
    Code:
    sudo zypper dup --skip-interactive --no-confirm
    But I guess that the intention, as this is TW and the upgrades are large downloads, the intention is to us the “--download-only” option while the network is quieter or cheaper and perform the upgrase later.
    __________
    @Malcolm
    Some of us are still struggling to come to terms with the 21st century and are still using scripts from the GPL-v1 and 4-clause BSD days. All Hail “net-tools-deprecated”!
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,288

    Default Re: Missing at Application

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    That thought is wrong. Tw does require 'zypper dup', yes, but it can be done on a fully running system. Having to use 'single user' mode, would also mean 'no network' .... Could you point out where this shows up in the docs?
    You are correct. Run level 3, or at least nobody logged in in the GUI.

    As some have pointed out, they do it from a desktop in a terminal emulator and never had problems. But I would not guarantee that.
    Henk van Velden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    27,128
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Missing at Application

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    You are correct. Run level 3, or at least nobody logged in in the GUI.

    As some have pointed out, they do it from a desktop in a terminal emulator and never had problems. But I would not guarantee that.
    Hi
    This is where the screen command comes in handy if from a DE and terminal.....

    What is this run level 3 you talk about

    systemctl isolate graphical.target ??
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,288

    Default Re: Missing at Application

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    This is where the screen command comes in handy if from a DE and terminal.....

    What is this run level 3 you talk about

    systemctl isolate graphical.target ??
    No, I mean runlevel3.target, which is equivalent (a symlink to) to multi-user.target.
    Henk van Velden

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,004
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Missing at Application

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    No, I mean runlevel3.target, which is equivalent (a symlink to) to multi-user.target.
    Yes. With runlevel 3, you do mean
    Code:
    systemctl isolate graphical.target
    . It's the same, when run from a desktop environment.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •