Thread: LEAP 15 X apps glacially slow

Default LEAP 15 X apps glacially slow

On my Mac (High Sierra) since upgrading 42.3 to LEAP 15, X apps like Firefox are unusably slow. I launch ssh using the -Y -X switches.
    It never used to be this way. How can I speed things up?

Blog Entries

Default Re: LEAP 15 X apps glacially slow

If you are running firefox via "ssh -X", then that's your problem. The changes in firefox from 52.x to 60.x are perhaps part of your problem.

Have you tried using firefox with a socks proxy, where ssh is used for the proxy? That way, only network traffic goes via ssh. The graphics traffic is kept local.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    If you are running firefox via "ssh -X", then that's your problem. The changes in firefox from 52.x to 60.x are perhaps part of your problem.

Have you tried using firefox with a socks proxy, where ssh is used for the proxy? That way, only network traffic goes via ssh. The graphics traffic is kept local.
    ?
    You might need to re-word for clarification.
    SSH is not a supported SOCKS protocol that I've ever seen.
    I think I get the idea that FF would be configured to use a different gateway for network connections (ie configuring a proxy) but beyond that...

Also for all parties in this discussion, in general when talking about remote connections like SSH, it might be necessary to describe what is running on the target system and what is running on the client...

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

how would I do this? It really is just firefox that is slow.

Firefox ESR 52.9 is available from the mozilla repo in two independent packages, if the old Firefox worked you can switch back to it (for the time being as I don't know how long mozilla will keep it alive)
    https://software.opensuse.org/package/firefox-esr
    you'd need to add the mozilla repo and install the firefox-esr package (replacing and switching some other mozilla packages to the mozilla repo builds)
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_15.0/mozilla.repo
    zypper in firefox-esr
    also an ESR-52 build of the main MozillaFirefox package can be found in the mozilla repo to install it you'd need to use the versions tab in yast or use the full name inc version with zypper
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_15.0/mozilla.repo
    zypper in -f MozillaFirefox-52.9.0
    that being said I'm not sure if opensuse will keep the 52.x build of Firefox as LEAP 15 has already moved to 60ESR

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jarome View Post
    how would I do this? It really is just firefox that is slow.
    Do a google search for "firefox socks5" (without the quotes). That gives some guides.

Mostly, you ssh with a forwarded port, then a couple of configuration settings in firefox. So you are pretty much using the local firefox, but it makes all network connections via the remote site and those are passed through the ssh pipe.

I have not done that for a few years. But it worked well when I did it.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha