Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Software Updates widget can no longer install packages, asks user to run 'zypper dup' manually

Default Software Updates widget can no longer install packages, asks user to run 'zypper dup' manually

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1098922

The package updater in the Plasma system tray is no longer able to install updates. It will detect new packages, but instead of offering an install button it now tells you "run 'zypper dup' manually".

This renders the update widget useless: It now does nothing but show you a list of new packages. Further more, the updater won't even detect that you've installed those packages after you do run 'zypper dup' and will keep the tray icon active forever, making it even more of an annoyance as you need to restart plasmashell to get rid of the outdated notification.

I was told this might be a deliberate decision on Tumbleweed, as a normal 'zypper up' might leave the system broken (I never had that problem). If that is the case, my suggestion solution would be teaching the widget how to run 'zypper dup' on its own: It will need to ask for a root password each time you click install, but this is far better than disabling its update functionality entirely and leaving Tumbleweed users without an embedded package manager altogether.
    openSUSE Tumbleweed x64, KDE Framework 5

Default Re: Software Updates widget can no longer install packages, asks user to run 'zypper dup' manually

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune View Post
    The package updater in the Plasma system tray is no longer able to install updates. It will detect new packages, but instead of offering an install button it now tells you "run 'zypper dup' manually".
    This has been done on purpose.

TW should only be updated by using "zypper dup".
    PackageKit (and therefore the applet) does the equivalent of "zypper up" though, which might even break the system (because not all updates are installed properly).

There were many complaints about this (and people asking for help because their system didn't work anymore after installing updates) on the forums and mailinglists.

Ideally, PackageKit would fully support updating TW (by doing something like "zypper dup"), but that still hasn't been implemented yet, and it doesn't really look like it's happening soon.

This renders the update widget useless
    Not completely, it will still notify you of updates.

Before it was just as useless, as you shouldn't be using it to update anyway.

Further more, the updater won't even detect that you've installed those packages after you do run 'zypper dup' and will keep the tray icon active forever, making it even more of an annoyance as you need to restart plasmashell to get rid of the outdated notification.
    Ok, I can see that this might be annoying.
    Although I thought this was addressed meanwhile...

Running "pkcon get-updates" should refresh it as well though without having to restart plasmashell.

If that is the case, my suggestion solution would be teaching the widget how to run 'zypper dup' on its own
    Impossible. It is just a frontend to PackageKit.

Making it use zypper directly would mean writing a new applet from scratch.

Feel free to do so and submit it though.

It should be possible to teach PackageKit ('s zypp backend) to do the equivalent of "zypper dup" on TW, but again this needs to be implemented by somebody.

but this is far better than disabling its update functionality entirely and leaving Tumbleweed users without an embedded package manager altogether.
    Heh?
    It is no "package manager" anyway. We have YaST and zypper for that.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 24-Jun-2018 at 03:52.

Default Re: Software Updates widget can no longer install packages, asks user to run 'zypper dup' manually

See this thread:
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...pdate-properly

I delete the PackageKit rpms as they serve no useful purpose in openSUSE. For Leap YaST-Online-Update is preferable.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Default Re: Software Updates widget can no longer install packages, asks user to run 'zypper dup' manual

Quote Originally Posted by eng-int View Post
    I delete the PackageKit rpms as they serve no useful purpose in openSUSE. For Leap YaST-Online-Update is preferable.
    For Leap, PackageKit works just as well, it uses libzypp (like zypper or YaST do) anyway. The only "problem" maybe is that it doesn't allow to manually resolve conflicts but rather aborts in that case.

Btw, you can also just disable the applet in the system tray settings (or uninstall plasma5-pk-updates), no need to uninstall PackageKit completely. (although, having it installed doesn't really make much sense either of course, if you don't ever use it anyway)

PS:
    Further more, the updater won't even detect that you've installed those packages after you do run 'zypper dup' and will keep the tray icon active forever
    That's tracked as https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1009129

And making PackageKit properly support updating TW is https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1030829
    Last edited by wolfi323; 24-Jun-2018 at 04:14.

Quote Originally Posted by MirceaKitsune
    Further more, the updater won't even detect that you've installed those packages after you do run 'zypper dup' and will keep the tray icon active forever, making it even more of an annoyance as you need to restart plasmashell to get rid of the outdated notification.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Ok, I can see that this might be annoying.
    Although I thought this was addressed meanwhile...

Running "pkcon get-updates" should refresh it as well though without having to restart plasmashell.
    Earlier we were required to reboot after each zypper dup, or otherwise we might break the system. Has this changed?

Blog Entries

That sounds like a good change.

If you don't want to see the updater, you can disable it in "System Tray Settings".
    opensuse Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

TW update almost always includes a new kernel which always requires a reboot. Other packages require a restart to use the new code which can usually be done with log off log on, but if kernel changes a boot is required

Default Re: Software Updates widget can no longer install packages, asks user to run 'zypper dup' manual

Quote Originally Posted by andyprough View Post
    Earlier we were required to reboot after each zypper dup, or otherwise we might break the system. Has this changed?
    Not sure what you mean.

You definitely *cannot* "break the system" by not rebooting after installing updates.

You may need to reboot to actually use the updates though, in particular in the case of a kernel update (otherwise it should suffice to restart the affected applications and services).

You should expect problems in the already running session/applications though if you replace the whole system beneath them... Especially if major version upgrades are involved.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    You should expect problems in the already running session/applications though if you replace the whole system beneath them...
    Yes, this is why I reboot after an update. But I may do a few more things before I reboot.

The most frequent symptom: on my laptop, have the touchpad set to disable if a mouse is plugged in. And after some updates, that stops working until reboot -- well, maybe logout and login would be enough to fix it, but might as well reboot to get everything running back to a consistent state.
    opensuse Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5;
    opensuse tumbleweed; KDE Plasma 5 (test system);

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast