Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leap 15.0 and disk space

Blog Entries

Default Re: Leap 15.0 and disk space

Quote Originally Posted by Vajcek View Post
    Now tell me:
    - do I have to use btfrs, or Leap 15.0 works on ext2 (ext4) also?
    I have been using "ext4" with Leap 15.0, since about the time of the first alpha test release. It works fine.

As far as I know, the main benefit of "btrfs" is with the snapshots and ability to roll back. But that's just what takes a lot of extra disk space. Personally, I don't need rollbacks. If I badly mess up my system, I will just re-install (keeping the separate "/home" file system).
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Some like BTRFS, some don't, many don't know or care what filesystem they use. AFAICT, SLE and openSUSE are the only distributions that default to BTRFS (which they do only for /). At least one major distro goes as far as explicitly rejecting support for it. Most (close to all?) of the rest default to EXT4 (for /).
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

So, this is situation: If I wanted to use btfrs I would have to resize my pertitions (btw, I use btfrs now have installed Leap 42.3 on sdb2 20GB). Now tell me:
    - do I have to use btfrs, or Leap 15.0 works on ext2 (ext4) also? What are the advantages btfrs against ext2(ext4)? If have no need to do resizing I dont want to do it.
    Thank you for answering my questions.
    Maybe you are installing to a laptop, possibly with a relatively small and/or slow disk: in such cases I always use EXT4 since it is rock solid, easier to manage (at least to me), has smaller footprint and doesn't get slower with use like BTRFS at times does with small/slow disks.
    BTRFS may have advantages in a corporate environment or in test or development setups where snapshots, rollback, copy-on-write or the ability to address a very large disk space might save your day, but is definitely overkill in a laptop for personal use IMHO.
    That said, I don't see LEAP 15 as much different from 42.3 from the filesystem point of view, so if your experience with 42.3 with 20GB was really good and you still prefer BTRFS, you might be able to use it on LEAP 15 as well.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Question Re: Leap 15.0 and disk space

Thank you all for very useful informations and great help. Finally I want to ask antotherone question:

- in some old books about OpenSUSE linux I read that native partition (sda2) must be ext2 and home partition ext4. Do you think it is right, or if not. tell me what format on what partition.
    Thank you for answering my questions.

Blog Entries

in some old books about OpenSUSE linux I read that native partition (sda2) must be ext2 and home partition ext4.
    Where I have a separate "/boot", I use "ext2" there. Otherwise I use "ext4".

The reason that I use "ext2" for "/boot": mostly it's because "grub" doesn't read the file system journal. And partly it's because very little is written to "/boot" except when updating the kernel.

Apart from that, "ext4" has been very reliable for me. And it is noticeably faster than "ext2".
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

- in some old books about OpenSUSE linux I read that native partition (sda2) must be ext2 and home partition ext4. Do you think it is right, or if not. tell me what format on what partition.
    Those are valid options, but not necessary ones. Certain installation configurations require a separate /boot/ partition, but for most people separate /boot/ is an unnecessary complication.

EXT2 remains a valid type, the one that I actually still use for the primary partitions on which I install my master bootloaders. EXT2 has no journal, which is fine for me, as it saves space, and /boot/ spends an infinitesimal time being written to, making a journal virtually pointless.

All my /home/ partitions use EXT4. Many people like xfs for home. Either are preferred by most people over other possible types.
    Reg. Linux User #211409 *** multibooting since 1992
    Primary: 42.3,TW,15.0 & 13.1 on Haswell w/ RAID
    Secondary: eComStation (OS/2)&42.3 on 965P/Radeon
    Tertiary: TW,15.0,42.3,Fedora,Debian,more on Kaby Lake,Q45,Q43,G41,G3X,965G,Cedar,Caicos,Oland,GT218&&&

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12