Thread: Installed LEAP 15.0 a few weeks ago, accidentally updated to Tumbleweed: how "not" to do this?

Default Installed LEAP 15.0 a few weeks ago, accidentally updated to Tumbleweed: how "not" to do this?

Several weeks ago shortly after 15.0 was released I installed Leap, a couple of days following this, "Update" indicated that I had about 2,000 packages that needed updating. Following the update, I was running Tumbleweed. How can I avoid this in the future? Thanks.

Default Re: Installed LEAP 15.0 a few weeks ago, accidentally updated to Tumbleweed: how "not" to do this?

Be sure not to have NO TW repos in your lists and use only up not dup to update. Note down grading to 15 from TW may be tricky. It it were me I'd do a new install keep home and simply load the programs I need

Default Re: Installed LEAP 15.0 a few weeks ago, accidentally updated to Tumbleweed: how "not" to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Be sure not to have NO TW repos in your lists and use only up not dup to update. Note down grading to 15 from TW may be tricky. It it were me I'd do a new install keep home and simply load the programs I need
    Thanks GT. I agree, I'll likely just do a reinstall. TW is massively sexy: but I really need a Sherman tank as my daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by portsample View Post
    Thanks GT. I agree, I'll likely just do a reinstall. TW is massively sexy: but I really need a Sherman tank as my daily driver.
    Just checked repositories that I'm pulling from. None are TW. Here's a link to a screenshot:
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/39eefb902501824.
    TIA.

Yous have factory which is more or less TW for all practical purposes. That is where the packages came from. It is generally ok to pull a package from factory if needed but never ever leave it active.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Yous have factory which is more or less TW for all practical purposes. That is where the packages came from. It is generally ok to pull a package from factory if needed but never ever leave it active.
    Thanks for the information.
    Curious, I've been an (open)Suse user for over 15 yrs and have always left this repository active.
    Will disable following the reinstall on this machine per your advice. Best regards.

Would not hurt too much if you use only zypper up, because of vendor stickiness. If you use zypper dup you get all in factory because it has higher version numbers and dup does not respect vendor stickiness. But for a very long time it has not been a good idea to have an active factory (now TW note the URL) at least since TW and Leap were introduced.

afaik both TW and LEAP 15 have vendor stickiness and running zypper dup without the --from switch won't do a vendor change
    that being said if you wore on 15 and accidentally added a repo you shouldn't have upgraded to TW this would have happened if you wore on 42.3 and did a live upgrade (as 42.3 did not have vendor stickiness) or you tried to install a package from the TW repo which in turn needed an upgrade on it's dependencies

you don't need a re-install to get back to 15 just remove the TW repo and do a vendor change to the LEAP 15's oss, update and packman repo's to keep multimedia from breaking
    that image is not enough to tell us how to fix this post the output of
    Code:
    zypper lr -d
    as text in the [code] tags

Default Re: Installed LEAP 15.0 a few weeks ago, accidentally updated to Tumbleweed: how "not" to do thi

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    afaik both TW and LEAP 15 have vendor stickiness and running zypper dup without the --from switch won't do a vendor change
    Yes, but the packages in Leap and in Tumbleweed (in the standard repos) are from the same vendor.

I.e. "zypper dup" (and also "zypper up") will happily upgrade from Leap to TW without allowing vendor change.

Btw, the "--from" switch will not allow vendor change either, but rather ask for each package whether you want to allow the change or not.
    You'd also need "--allow-vendor-change"...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 24-Jun-2018 at 00:56.