Thread: Where is Power Management?

Default Where is Power Management?

I'm trying to disable the suspension that happens when I close my laptop lid. Under Ubuntu I would go into Power Management. But I can't find Power Management in Yast (or anything else that might do the job). Where is this stuff?

Default Re: Where is Power Management?

Desktop in use????

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Desktop in use????
    I'm using the installation default, which I believe is KDE (same as Kubuntu).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwabrahams View Post
    I'm trying to disable the suspension that happens when I close my laptop lid. Under Ubuntu I would go into Power Management. But I can't find Power Management in Yast (or anything else that might do the job). Where is this stuff?
    It is systemd-logind that manages this behaviour. The applicable parameters in /etc/systemd/logind.conf are 'HandleLidSwitch=' and
    'LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited='

Refer to
    Code:
    man systemd-logind
    Code:
    man logind.conf
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    It is systemd-logind that manages this behaviour. The applicable parameters in /etc/systemd/logind.conf are 'HandleLidSwitch=' and
    'LidSwitchIgnoreInhibited='

Refer to
    Code:
    man systemd-logind
    Code:
    man logind.conf
    So there's no way to accomplish this from within Yast, then? That's disappointing -- explicitly editing system configuration files (and as superuser at that) seems pretty heavy-handed and not something a casual user would know how to do.

There are quite a few other functions in Power Management that ought to be readily available, such as setting the timeout for screen energy saving.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwabrahams View Post
    So there's no way to accomplish this from within Yast, then? That's disappointing -- explicitly editing system configuration files (and as superuser at that) seems pretty heavy-handed and not something a casual user would know how to do.

There are quite a few other functions in Power Management that ought to be readily available, such as setting the timeout for screen energy saving.
    KDE does offer some 'user-level' power management capabilities: System Settings > Power Management, and this includes the 'When laptop lid closed' event behaviour, so perhaps investigate that and see if you can get it working as desired.
    Last edited by deano_ferrari; 22-Jun-2018 at 19:42.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Note that any SYSTEM setting as apposed to a user setting must be done by the system administrator ie root.