Thread: Installed programs executing with Alt+F2, but invisible in /usr/share/applications and Dash!?

Default Installed programs executing with Alt+F2, but invisible in /usr/share/applications and Dash!?

Hi,

my system is:
    From openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot20180618-Media.iso HDD install
    Processor Intel Core i3-2328M CPU 2.2 GHz x 4
    Graphics Intel Sandybbridge Mobile
    OS openSUSE Tumbleweed
    GNOME 3.28.2
    OS type 64-bit
    Disk 29.8 GB

Problem:

I have just installed python-idle and python3-idle. I can execute both programs with <Alt>+<F2>"<command>", but they are invisible in Dash and cannot be found in /usr/share/applications/ and neither with alacarte.

How can I fix this, please?

Thank you, susecub

Default Re: Installed programs executing with Alt+F2, but invisible in /usr/share/applications and Dash!?

Quote Originally Posted by susecub View Post
    I have just installed python-idle and python3-idle. I can execute both programs with <Alt>+<F2>"<command>", but they are invisible in Dash and cannot be found in /usr/share/applications/ and neither with alacarte.
    That's because the python(3)-idle packages do not install a menu entry (.desktop file) to /usr/share/applications/.

How can I fix this, please?
    You should be able to create your own menu entry in alacarte.

Or you could also create an appropriate xxx.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/, /usr/local/share/applications/ or ~/.local/share/applications/ with a text editor.
    A minimal one could e.g. look like this:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Exec=idle3
    GenericName=Python3 Integrated Development Environment (IDLE)
    Name=Python3 IDLE
    Type=Application
    (untested though!)

Default Re: Installed programs executing with Alt+F2, but invisible in /usr/share/applications and Dash!?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    That's because the python(3)-idle packages do not install a menu entry (.desktop file) to /usr/share/applications/.
    Wow, another kick into my teeth (after https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...39#post2870739)

Debian and Ubuntu put Idle and Idle3 into the menu/dash with no fuss when installed. Makes Tumbleweed not loveable to me

Thank you, susecub

Default Re: Installed programs executing with Alt+F2, but invisible in /usr/share/applications and Dash!

Debian and Ubuntu put Idle and Idle3 into the menu/dash with no fuss when installed. Makes Tumbleweed not loveable to me
    Feel free to file a bug report at bugzilla.opensuse.org (same username/password as here) and request the addition of a menu entry/.desktop file to the openSUSE package.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 22-Jun-2018 at 04:40.

You should be able to create your own menu entry in alacarte.
    Of course, I was just too upset.

Or you could also create an appropriate xxx.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/, /usr/local/share/applications/ or ~/.local/share/applications/ with a text editor.
    A minimal one could e.g. look like this:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Exec=idle3
    GenericName=Python3 Integrated Development Environment (IDLE)
    Name=Python3 IDLE
    Type=Application
    (untested though!)
    Excellent! Now it is in the Menu, in the Dash and in the Favorites

P.S. How can I mark this thread "solved"?
    Last edited by susecub; 22-Jun-2018 at 17:41. Reason: Question about how to make thread solved

Default Re: Installed programs executing with Alt+F2, but invisible in Dash! [SOLVED]

P.S. How can I mark this thread "solved"?
    The usual way is to add a "[SOLVED]" or similar to the thread's title when replying.
    (Unfortunately, in this case the thread's title is quite long already though, I needed to shorten it to make the additional characters fit...)
    Last edited by wolfi323; 23-Jun-2018 at 04:18.