Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Hibernate Problem?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    174

    Default Hibernate Problem?

    First of all I do not use hibernate. Each time I turn off the PC it is after closing all applications properly and Power Off. I have 2 GB common Swap and 42.2 and 42.3 installed on sdb besides Leap 15.

    After the fresh clean install of Leap 15 and subsequent first update when I next booted into Leap 15 there was a 1 min 30 sec delay right at the start and the error message that system failed to recover from hibernate! Towards the end, before the log-in screen was presented the same delay and message was repeated. I thought that I may have made some error during installation and since thereafter this was not repeated I sort of ignored it.

    Now comes the curious part, when I booted to 42.3 (the first time after installing 15) there were the same delays and messages! And again subsequent boots there was no problem. This was repeated with 42.2 also. The only link seems to be the common Swap and I had formatted it when installing 15.

    What could be the reason for this ?

    PrakashC

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,627
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Hibernate Problem?

    The hibernate image is stored in swap.

    The chances are that something is wrong with the way swap is defined on your system.

    Can you provide the output from:

    Code:
    grep swap /etc/fstab
    grep resume /etc/default/grub
    I'm not sure, but you might need root access for the second of those commands.

    Maybe provide the output for those commands for Leap 15.0 and also for Leap 42.3.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    992

    Default Re: Hibernate Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrakashC View Post
    First of all I do not use hibernate. Each time I turn off the PC it is after closing all applications properly and Power Off. I have 2 GB common Swap and 42.2 and 42.3 installed on sdb besides Leap 15.

    After the fresh clean install of Leap 15 and subsequent first update when I next booted into Leap 15 there was a 1 min 30 sec delay right at the start and the error message that system failed to recover from hibernate! Towards the end, before the log-in screen was presented the same delay and message was repeated. I thought that I may have made some error during installation and since thereafter this was not repeated I sort of ignored it.

    Now comes the curious part, when I booted to 42.3 (the first time after installing 15) there were the same delays and messages! And again subsequent boots there was no problem. This was repeated with 42.2 also. The only link seems to be the common Swap and I had formatted it when installing 15.

    What could be the reason for this ?

    PrakashC
    Check for resume:

    Code:
    erlangen:~ # grep resume /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/3bfe28c8-c708-4859-9222-94b0ea4bddca splash=silent quiet showopts"
    erlangen:~ #
    If you don't use hibernate delete "resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/...
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: Hibernate Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    The hibernate image is stored in swap.

    The chances are that something is wrong with the way swap is defined on your system.

    Can you provide the output from:

    Code:
    grep swap /etc/fstab
    grep resume /etc/default/grub
    I'm not sure, but you might need root access for the second of those commands.

    Maybe provide the output for those commands for Leap 15.0 and also for Leap 42.3.
    The outputs for Leap 15 are :

    UUID=45e24c24-8821-4731-9cff-69ab8a3ab7ce swap swap defaults 0 0

    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD5000AZRX-00A8LB0_WD-WCC1U4596684-part2 splash=silent quiet showopts"

    Since the problem has not recurred, in case of 42.2 and 42.3 it was possibly linked with the formatting of Swap when installing 15. Since data saved on swap by these (42.2 and 42.3) versions was deleted the search for relevant files caused the problem.

    But why did it happen for Leap 15 ?

    PrakashC

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: Hibernate Problem?

    Most likely the swap partition was re-formatted when installing LEAP 15 and its UUID was changed, so now entries for swap in /etc/fstab and in the "resume" option of the kernel command line might be wrong, the system waiting for the "old" UUID to show up at boot until it times out after 1m 30s.
    Issue the commands:
    Code:
    su -
    <enter superuser (root) password>
    blkid
    and check that the UUID= for the swap partition is the same as that in the corresponding /etc/fstab line (in all your installed systems) and in the boot command lines.

    As an example:
    Code:
    LT_B:~ # blkid | grep swap
    /dev/sda4: UUID="efe439ee-6b27-4295-ad39-2d9e5da8b405" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="79f0655c-f803-468d-bc44-8ff9f0e9ea86"
    LT_B:~ # grep swap /etc/fstab
    UUID=efe439ee-6b27-4295-ad39-2d9e5da8b405 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
    LT_B:~ # grep resume /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/efe439ee-6b27-4295-ad39-2d9e5da8b405 splash=silent quiet showopts"
    LT_B:~ #
    EDIT: I didn't see your last post while I was editing mine, so this might not be a direct answer to your last question. HTH anyway.
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,500

    Default Re: Hibernate Problem?

    instead of deleting the resume statement, consider hw addressing

    eg. resume=/dev/sdaX

    where sdaX is the partition address of the swap

    then in each os change the fstab reference accordingly

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,627
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Hibernate Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrakashC View Post
    But why did it happen for Leap 15 ?
    I don't know.

    I have run into cases where the "resume=" does not match the swap definition. This is a bug in Leap 15 (and in the new partitioner/installer) -- reported as Bug 1071354. So I'm trying to see if that happened in your case.

    Unfortunately, the "resume=" parameter is using the device-id, while "fstab" is using the UUID, so it is hard to tell whether they match. Another responder asked for the output of
    Code:
    blkid
    (run that as root). That would help us tell whether they match.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: Hibernate Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I don't know.

    I have run into cases where the "resume=" does not match the swap definition. This is a bug in Leap 15 (and in the new partitioner/installer) -- reported as Bug 1071354. So I'm trying to see if that happened in your case.

    Unfortunately, the "resume=" parameter is using the device-id, while "fstab" is using the UUID, so it is hard to tell whether they match. Another responder asked for the output of
    Code:
    blkid
    (run that as root). That would help us tell whether they match.
    I had run bootscriptinfo before installing Leap 15. So I had info on partition ids before and I have run it again now.
    You are right. The UUID has changed.
    From:
    Device UUID TYPE LABEL
    /dev/sdb2 1be07471-4ab0-4b89-a752-020f692bb69d swap
    To:
    /dev/sdb2 45e24c24-8821-4731-9cff-69ab8a3ab7ce swap

    So if I check and if required change the resume parameter in loading command the problem should resolve?

    PrakashC

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: Hibernate Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrakashC View Post
    ISo if I check and if required change the resume parameter in loading command the problem should resolve?
    You should check that in the loading command line AND in /etc/fstab (the line used to mount the swap).
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,627
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Hibernate Problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrakashC View Post
    So if I check and if required change the resume parameter in loading command the problem should resolve?
    I cannot guarantee that will resolve the problem. But you should make that change. The UUID for swap should be the same as the UUID on the "resume=" parameter of the boot command. Otherwise resuming from swap cannot work. And when that is wrong, boot can be delayed if the "resume=" file system is not found during bootup.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •