Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where are the system log files stored in SUSE?

Default Re: Where are the system log files stored in SUSE?

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Persistent logs should be enabled by default, no need to do anything yourself.
    The default is "Storage=auto" AFAIK, and that means that persistent storage is saved only if /var/log/journal exists, since that directory is not created automatically if needed with the "auto" option.
    Checking (or creating) that /var/log/journal is likely all that is needed (sorry cannot check for current Tumbleweed myself at the moment).
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    The default is "Storage=auto" AFAIK, and that means that persistent storage is saved only if /var/log/journal exists, since that directory is not created automatically if needed with the "auto" option.
    Checking (or creating) that /var/log/journal is likely all that is needed (sorry cannot check for current Tumbleweed myself at the moment).
    Yes, that is correct.
    openSUSE Leap 15.0; KDE Plasma 5

Blog Entries

From
    https://www.freedesktop.org/software...nald.conf.html

1. It seems that "auto" which is default, is almost the same but not exactly as "persistent"
    Storage=Controls where to store journal data. One of "volatile", "persistent", "auto" and "none". If "volatile", journal log data will be stored only in memory, i.e. below the /run/log/journal hierarchy (which is created if needed). If "persistent", data will be stored preferably on disk, i.e. below the /var/log/journal hierarchy (which is created if needed), with a fallback to /run/log/journal (which is created if needed), during early boot and if the disk is not writable. "auto" is similar to "persistent" but the directory /var/log/journal is not created if needed, so that its existence controls where log data goes. "none" turns off all storage, all log data received will be dropped. Forwarding to other targets, such as the console, the kernel log buffer, or a syslog socket will still work however. Defaults to "auto".
    2. The reference discusses forwarding to an external daemon in at least two places, which is likely what happens automatically when you install syslog-ng(It's not just enough to export files, the files must be exported to a syslog daemon).

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

#
    # Title: Reference - openSUSE Leap 15.1
    # SourcePDF_Reference: book.opensuse.reference_color_en.pdf
    # Chapter: 11.1 Making the Journal Persistent
    # Page: 190
    #
    # "auto" is similar to "persistent" but the auto will not create directory /var/log/journal
    #

Do users then need to create /var/log/journal ?

As not clear different meaning of "persistent" being similar to "auto"

Am unsure IF setting "persistent" will create directory /var/log/journal
    so used mkdir to create /var/log/journal

Be nice IF the manual can clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by paulparker View Post
    #
    Be nice IF the manual can clarify.
    Quoting from "man journald.conf":
    OPTIONS
    All options are configured in the "[Journal]" section:

Storage=
    Controls where to store journal data. One of "volatile", "persistent", "auto" and "none". If "volatile", journal log data will be stored only in memory, i.e. below the /run/log/journal hierarchy
    (which is created if needed). If "persistent", data will be stored preferably on disk, i.e. below the /var/log/journal hierarchy (which is created if needed), with a fallback to /run/log/journal
    (which is created if needed), during early boot and if the disk is not writable. "auto" is similar to "persistent" but the directory /var/log/journal is not created if needed, ...
    Looks fairly clear to me...
    But if you want a change you have to file a bug report against documentation, writing here has no effect. See https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/index.cgi
    Main: Leap 15 Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    Test: Leap 42.3 (& others) on Core2Duo + GM965

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12