Weather applet

I tried using the weather widget and it didn’t work.
Do I need an active network set up for that?

Yes, it will need an internet connection to pull the required weather data.

I have obviously got an ‘internet connection’ since I can get to here, and millions of other places on the web.
So, do I need to put the applet on the desktop, and open a browser,
or…something else?

I assume you have set the location in settings???

All and all I have gotten best results with wettercom here in West Virginia then other services that may appear. But that may depend on your location

Well, it wasn’t obvious as to what you were asking - ‘active network’ was not the best description… you will need to set up the relevant location(s)…just a matter of adding the appropriate URLs which it provides hints about.

So, do I need to put the applet on the desktop, and open a browser,
or…something else?

Yes, you could navigate via a browser. Start with

wettercom is the only one that gives search results for my city.
Living in the U.S. you’d think noaa would at least get me close. (never trust the weather, eh?)

Sorry, my bad.

Not worth that. My iPad has a weather app that is a tap away(as long as I have it handy).
I just thought as long as I am sitting behind this big screen, why squint at the small one.
Thanks anyway.

Jut to clarify a bit further - Once you have a valid URL, it’s just a matter of adding that to the weather widget configuration. For example, using the OpenWeatherMap website and searching for London, GB yields

That URL is then added to the waether widget via ‘+OWM’ button.

It’s not hard to set up for your locality.

I just clicked the box for “Weather Forecast” in System Tray Settings. After that, it showed up in the tray. I did have to then right click on the tray icon and configure it.

However, I have turned it off again. It seemed to be creating a high volume of logs, so I decided to manage without.

Me too… and now I will get rid of it…no need for such bling.

Yeah, I removed it, not what I was looking far with strong weather and tornado’s around,
and it just got in the way.

I did succeeded to save settings and widget is working now
I find my location with SEARCH button

I did not understand why I have to use URL from OpenWeatherMap website
and more can you explain what is ‘+OWM’ button ?

greetings to all you on this forum !

can you explain where to search for log files ?
how can you describe HIGH VOLUME , is it 1k per day or what ?

I monitor the last few lines of “/var/log/messages”. I’ve been in the habit of doing this for around 30 years (before linux existed). And whenever I looked, I would see weather messages. I never counted how many. It was just annoying. But now, I am seeing other annoying stuff.

It used to be that desktop applications would write various message to “$HOME/.xsession-errors”. And it was normally safe to ignore those. I would only look if there was a problem that I was trying to debug.

It seems that somebody has come up with the “brilliant” idea that those messages should go to “/var/log/messages”. And that’s annoying. We can do without that kind of “brilliant” idea.

As far as I can tell, GDM is doing this. It is redirecting stderr to somewhere, probably a pipe, and then logging anything that get written there. I may have to try switching to SDDM. I think SDDM also does something similar, but I think they do not end up in standard log files, but somewhere else that is less annoying.

thanks for clearing this !

interesting, for me it is not problem at all ?!

sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

not a single line from Weather Forecast widget ?!

I turned on the weather applet again, after reading your post this morning.

% tail /var/log/messages | grep weather
2018-09-15T14:28:28.171863-05:00 nwr2 plasmashell[2902]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.weather/contents/ui/FiveDaysView.qml:35: ReferenceError: rowIndex is not defined
2018-09-15T14:28:28.172009-05:00 nwr2 plasmashell[2902]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.weather/contents/ui/FiveDaysView.qml:36: TypeError: Cannot read property of null
2018-09-15T14:28:28.172129-05:00 nwr2 plasmashell[2902]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.weather/contents/ui/FiveDaysView.qml:35: ReferenceError: rowIndex is not defined
2018-09-15T14:28:28.172249-05:00 nwr2 plasmashell[2902]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.weather/contents/ui/FiveDaysView.qml:36: TypeError: Cannot read property of null

strange error …

if you look at plasmoid folder you see WeatherListView.qml file
there is property rowIndex for object Repeater.Loader

I dont know what is going bad on your machine, I just confirm once more , there is no error on my machine !

plasma@linux-jzwp:~> screenfetch
             .;ldkO0000Okdl;.                plasma@linux-jzwp
         .;d00xl:^''''''^:ok00d;.            OS: openSUSE 15.0
       .d00l'                'o00d.          Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.12.14-lp150.12.16-default
     .d0Kd'  Okxol:;,.          :O0d.        Uptime: 1h 46m
    .OKKKK0kOKKKKKKKKKKOxo:,      lKO.       Packages: 2589
   ,0KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK0P^,,,^dx:    ;00,      Shell: bash 4.4.19
  .OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKk'.oOPPb.'0k.   cKO.     Resolution: 1920x1080
  :KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK: kKx..dd lKd   'OK:     DE: KDE 5.45.0 / Plasma 5.12.5
  dKKKKKKKKKKKOx0KKKd ^0KKKO' kKKc   dKd     WM: KWin
  dKKKKKKKKKKKK;.;oOKx,..^..;kKKK0.  dKd     WM Theme: Breeze
  :KKKKKKKKKKKK0o;...^cdxxOK0O/^^'  .0K:     GTK Theme: Breeze [GTK2/3]
   kKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK0x;,,......,;od  lKk      Icon Theme: breeze
   '0KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK00KKOo^  c00'      Font: Noto Sans Regular
    'kKKKOxddxkOO00000Okxoc;''   .dKk'       CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1045T @ 6x 2.7GHz [14.5°C]
      l0Ko.                    .c00l'        GPU: AMD RS880 (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.12.14-lp150.12.16-default, LLVM 5.0.1)
       'l0Kk:.              .;xK0l'          RAM: 1356MiB / 7717MiB
          'lkK0xl:;,,,,;:ldO0kl'            
              '^:ldxkkkkxdl:^'              
plasma@linux-jzwp:~> sudo tail /var/log/messages | grep weather
plasma@linux-jzwp:~> 

I best guess is that it is an unimportant debug message that previously would have gone to “.xsession-errors” where I would not see it. But, for whatever reason, those messages are now being logged in “/var/log/messages”.