Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D apps broken - missing dependencies) (blender, FreeCAD, openCASCADE community edition)

Default 3D apps broken - missing dependencies) (blender, FreeCAD, openCASCADE community edition)

Hi, I had to re-install, so I downloaded the current Tumbleweed snapshot (20180615). I couldn't install FreeCAD because of missing dependency libboost_system 1.66. When I found that in the experimental repo, it needed libicui18n (going by memory here), which I couldn't find on software.opensuse.org/search. Attempts to install blender and openCASCADE (community edition) ran into the same problem. Where should I report this?

Thanks, GEF

PS: Blender I can install from its own website, and CAD is one of those things I plan to learn someday, not an urgent need.

Default Re: 3D apps broken - missing dependencies) (blender, FreeCAD, openCASCADE community edition)

Found a workaround: Installed FreeCAD via 1-click, Leap 15 version, did not remain subscribed to repo. Then updated to FreeCAD from Tumbleweed repo.

Blog Entries

Default Re: 3D apps broken - missing dependencies) (blender, FreeCAD, openCASCADE community edition)

Quote Originally Posted by gfagan View Post
    Found a workaround: Installed FreeCAD via 1-click, Leap 15 version, did not remain subscribed to repo. Then updated to FreeCAD from Tumbleweed repo.
    If you want to break your system, do things like you did now. Do not mix packages from different openSUSE versions. You have been lucky this hasn't borked your install.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    If you want to break your system, do things like you did now. Do not mix packages from different openSUSE versions. You have been lucky this hasn't borked your install.
    Hi Knurpht. Since I had a clean install, there wasn't much at stake. However, I agree with you generally - that's why I wanted to report the broken dependency.

The problem is that these applications currently fail to build because boost has been upgraded to 1.67 and its python2 support has been dropped in TW recently.

The reason likely is that python2 is slowly being faded out in openSUSE, because upstream support will end soon as well.

The packages would need to be ported to python3 I suppose, I somehow don't think python2 support will be reintroduced despite the failures its removal causes.

Feel free to file bug reports at bugzilla.opensuse.org (same username/password as here), but the maintainers should notice the build failures themselves (and even get notified automatically about them).
    Last edited by wolfi323; 20-Jun-2018 at 10:46.

Thanks Wolfi. I submitted, so here's hoping it's helpful, not just make-work for somebody who already knows about the bug and now has to acknowledge a report. -GEF

Thanks Wolfi. I submitted, so here's hoping it's helpful, not just make-work for somebody who already knows about the bug and now has to acknowledge a report. -GEF
    As I wrote in the bug report, a fix for FreeCAD has actually been submitted already and should be in the next Tumbleweed snapshot.

I submitted a fix for blender myself now, it actually failed to build because of gcc 8 and not the boost update:
    https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/618455

openCASCADE is not included in the distribution AFAICS, so you'd need to contact the person that builds the package.
    (or at least specify which repo you are using for that)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    openCASCADE is not included in the distribution
    Thanks for your hard work! openSUSE's been good to me over the years, and I wish I had more relevant skills to help other users in return.

I only looked into openCASCADE when FreeCAD failed to install, and I must have had Packman enabled by that point as I searched for a solution or alternative.

I only looked into openCASCADE when FreeCAD failed to install, and I must have had Packman enabled by that point as I searched for a solution or alternative.
    Hm, I don't find it on Packman either.

Btw, instead of installing FreeCAD from 15.0 (which actually just installs the missing dependencies from 15.0 I think), you could also install it from the science repo for now that is available for Tumbleweed as well (it is a devel project for Tumbleweed).
    But as mentioned, it should be fixed in the standard repos in the next snapshot.

blender will probably take a bit longer (it still needs to be accepted by its maintainers, and then go through the Factory/Tumbleweed review and staging process), so feel free to install it from my branch repo for now:
    https://download.opensuse.org/reposi...USE_Tumbleweed

Note that this will disappear as soon as my submit request is accepted, it will be available in the "graphics" repo then.

Although, if you got them to work by using the Leap 15.0 repo, I suppose that should be fine for now too.

Thanks Wolfi, but still no joy. I removed FreeCAD with cleanup checked to hopefully get rid of any kruft that came along with it from the Leap 15 repo, then tried to intall throught Tumbleweed standard repo. Also tried science repo and your community repo. All give the same missing dependency for libpyside2.cpython-m36. And as for Blender, it still want libboost version 1.66. So I tried the trick of installing FreeCAD from Leap again, but after recent update, YaST wants to downgrade 376 packages in order to make Leap's FreeCAD work, so I'll wait. And Blender I can still install from their website, but I prefer to have it managed by zypper. And as for my bug report, the reply as you predicted was "we already know" - even though I tried to make sure I wasn't duplicating, so I'll refrain from crying wolf again (no pun intended). -GEF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast