Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should someone be working on Forums responsiveness?

Default Re: Should someone be working on Forums responsiveness?

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 05:36:03 +0000, deano ferrari wrote:

>> Currently, almost every page I've visited has either completed loading
    >> in less than 5 seconds, many within 2 seconds.
    >>

> It's all in the way you hold your tongue

That would seem to make it very difficult to type.

--
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I just felt the need to say that the forums can be so slow being accessed here from the UK, I get timeouts or just plain slow responses to both logging in and accessing the forums. I've not measured actual timings but this is the only forum set I have this issue with. How has the investigation progressed? Is what I am seeing a true forum issue or perhaps due to the path from the UK to it?

Stuart

We think it is the forums (or the infrastructure it is in). So relax. the UK is not seen from the forums as the end of the world where the internet reaches only bit-by-bit.

The general idea here is that it is better then it was last week (still not very snappy, but I doubt it ever was). When you think it is still as worse as last week (and the week before), please report so. I have no doubt we and our technical supporters are watching with interest.
    Henk van Velden

Thanks for the update. I must admit it seems very unresponsive quite a lot of the time but then it will suddenly behave quite well for a short while. To be honest I dont think anything here has really improved recently. This moring I gat a couple of timeouts but just now accessing this it seemed quite good all of a sudden! It seems very unpredictable.

Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by broadstairs View Post
    Thanks for the update. I must admit it seems very unresponsive quite a lot of the time but then it will suddenly behave quite well for a short while. To be honest I dont think anything here has really improved recently. This moring I gat a couple of timeouts but just now accessing this it seemed quite good all of a sudden! It seems very unpredictable.

Stuart
    Thanks for the report. Apart from what we as staff experience (and we are like others spread over the globe), reports from others may help.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by broadstairs View Post

Stuart
    You might also check your DNS Servers to see if they are part of the problem.

I use DNS Benchmark to get a custom list of servers, then run the test. It runs under Wine. From there, I choose the best two that I trust and put them in my Router configuration. Then, in openSUSE, I set my Router as first DNS Server, and add my next 3 choices for DNS Servers in there.

I do this whenever some of the internet seems to really slow down, plus check it once a month. The change in DNS Servers can make a dramatic difference at times.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

I have in the past run DNSBench and at the time the servers I was using were the fastest however having run again today things have changed and although the servers I was using have nothing wrong with them I have now changed to faster ones and will see if it makes any difference.

Stuart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12