Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How to define local repository

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    142

    Default How to define local repository

    I have a desktop with no Intenet access and would like to configure repositories on m a thumb drive. my hard drive and on a thumb drive. It is unclear what I should specify as the drive and directory for each.

    For a logical drive mounted at /mnt/H, do I specify the Linux name for the physical drive, the extended logical partion or the logical drive? Do I include the path for the mount point in the directory name?

    Likewise for the USB thumb drive, do I include the mount point in the directory field?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,854
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: How to define local repository

    Quote Originally Posted by shmuelmetz View Post
    I have a desktop with no Intenet access and would like to configure repositories on m a thumb drive. my hard drive and on a thumb drive. It is unclear what I should specify as the drive and directory for each.

    For a logical drive mounted at /mnt/H, do I specify the Linux name for the physical drive, the extended logical partion or the logical drive? Do I include the path for the mount point in the directory name?

    Likewise for the USB thumb drive, do I include the mount point in the directory field?

    Thanks.
    In short: the mountpoint
    A bit more eleborate: Use YaST's repo manager, click Add, Local RPM folder, give the repo a name, path = mountpoint, check "Rpm folder" . Done.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Annandale, VA
    Posts
    142

    Default Re: How to define local repository

    Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    In short: the mountpoint
    A bit more eleborate: Use YaST's repo manager, click Add, Local RPM folder, give the repo a name, path = mountpoint, check "Rpm folder" . Done.
    Thanks. When, if ever, would I need the hard drive or USB option, and what are the semantics for them?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,631
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How to define local repository

    Quote Originally Posted by shmuelmetz View Post
    When, if ever, would I need the hard drive or USB option, and what are the semantics for them?
    I use the USB option when I have downloaded the DVD installer iso, but I want to use it as a local repo instead of using it as an installer.

    For example, if you have 10 Tumbleweed systems to update, it might be worth downloading the latest DVD and writing to a USB. Then you can use this in turn on each of the systems. What's on the DVD only has to be downloaded once. This is mostly useful where there is a particularly large update.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •